Sub-Harpoon...

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by cokecan, Feb 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. does anyone know if there was a doctrinal/equipment reason why the RN ditched Sub-Harpoon - or was it the normal squalid dash for cash?

cheers.

2. fails_as_is

fails_as_is Badgeman Book Reviewer

once spearfish achieved the anti-surface capability that was in the staff requirement, there was no more need for a mixture of weapons for various roles. Especially since the introduction of TLAM it meant that space in the bomb shop was required for the strike weapon, rather than one we were less and less likely to use in anger.

that's my guesses anyway

3. Plus it left a lovely smoke trail from your firing position, not a good idea really.

4. As already stated it was on confirmation of its anti-surface capabilities, that was a big turning point, it also carried a lesser noise signature. Onboard was a far superior Sonar suite. The oboard telemetry alowed for greater bandwidth to be passed and therefore greater control of the weapon.

5. As already said, apart from leaving a mah hoosive 1000m tall smoke trail, aka please drop your nuclear depth charge HERE, it was said that it would require more Harpoons than available tubes to sink a KIEV Class or totally incapacitate it.

I seem to recall (not 100% on this) that it wasn't an intelligent weapon and it was not guaranteed that all the missiles would hit the same target.

6. It is intelligent, it has active guidance. It's targetting information is fed into it prior to launch. You can select multiple missiles before firing. It switches on it's seeker as it approaches the target location, meaning numerous Harpoon can be fired at individual or different targets at once; it can also be given waypoints.

Lack of cash was the pure reason that it never came into service. Surface action plans were devised to incorporate sub-harpoon engagements.

7. It did come into service, I spent many a happy down the bombshop kipping next to one. It was just no good for boats.

8. Apologies, I stand corrected.

9. Cokecan: Now you've got all the info, you can tootle along to your masters at the Russian Embassy and give them what they want...

10. They already know, having copied it for SSN-25 switchblade.

11. sorry, there are many oxbridge graduates and closet bottom-feelers far higher up the foodchain than me - i'm sure the rezident was fully informed long ago, by sources far better placed than i!

didnt know about the smoke-trail issue - hadn't thought of that...

cheers.

12. But Tom Clancy said it was awesome. He's an expert!!