Stupid Question

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by Kermit11, Dec 20, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Need to ask a question!

If you join the RN/ RNR as a rating, can you have RN/ RNR after your name?

As in Joe Bloggs RNR?

Thought I'd ask...

2. Some ****** get the Troll repellant spray out!!

3. Awww! Come on!?

4. TJP

TJP

Why not I do

Yours TJP RN RNR VC and Bar VD and Scar.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  5. That was funny.

Well, when I say funny...

6. ... no serious answer then? :D

7. OK then.

Seriously - BUFFS

8. Are you really serious you tit? You can call yourself whatever you want, but adding any of that to your name would expose you as a fuckwad of the highest order.

I hate the night before a load of nights.

9. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Just out of interest, why would you want to? Are you insecure or just a mahoosive bellend?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Come on chaps, ease up on him.

He may already be a nurse and not want to have to put RN, RN after his name, as that would make him look like a typing stutterer!

11. Looking like a typing stutterer would be the least of his problems!!!!!

12. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

So is it wrong of me to put CSE after my name like them clever people put initials after theirs as well?

Blobbs RM GSM CSE.

13. Don't forget to put PNST after the RN Or RNR

14. Anyway, enough of this frivolity on the last day of Earth.

This thread has already been done, and fairly recently too, 'cos I remember somebody sayin that placing 'initials' after your name wasn't a suffix. Or sumfing

15. There you go SB an explanation of Pre and Post nominal letters, and may be the OP can work out what letters to use, like ********.

Post-nominal letters, also called post-nominal initials, post-nominal titles or designatory letters, are letters placed after the name of a person to indicate that the individual holds a position, educational degree, accreditation, office, or honour. An individual may use several different sets of post-nominal letters. The order in which these are listed after a name is based on the order of precedence and category of the order. Post-nominal letters are one of the main types of name suffix.

Pre-nominal letters are a title which is placed before the name of a person as distinct from a post-nominal title which is placed after the name. Examples of pre-nominal titles, for instance professional titles include: Doctor, Captain, Eur Ing (European Engineer), Ir (Ingenieur), CA (Indian Chartered Accountant)[1] and Professor; whilst other common social titles are Mr., Master, The Honorable, Ms., Mrs. and Miss. Pre-nominal letters are generally social, but can be professional in nature (e.g. Eur Ing).

16. Change your name to Raving Nosh so when asked for name and initials you can say, in a loud proud voice, I'm Dungbutton RN. It worked for a bloke whose surname was Albert, they even made a film about him!!

17. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Dungbutton..... that's a cool name, Retro yet hip.

18. Well... does anyone have RN/RNR after their name on here?

I'm not taking the piss, honest! Just wondered if you were entitled to? (Not that I would, just wondered about it)

Cheers

19. Yes those who hold the Queens Commission, as in Lt Bowden-Cable R.N.

20. Yes, I have, and I am listed so perfectly entitled to it.