Stupid names for RN operations

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by dunkers, Aug 26, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Why is it that when the Armed Forces carry out an "operation" they give it some name like "Neptune Warrior", "Candytuft" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_operations_and_projects_(military_and_non-military) ), "Telic" and so on...?

Do they have someone sitting in an office making them up?

What odd names have you heard, what ops can you think up?, call this thread Operation Bulldog Mammoth :roll:

2. Didn't Churchill say that the WW2 planners were to be careful in their choice of names for ops, 'as no mother should find out her son was killed in Operation BunnyHug'

3. Why did the yanks use a cool name like Destert Storm and we had to call it Operation Granby?
    Strong Resolve could give me a boner though, but then that's just me....

4. What about names that just don't follow up on what they suggest? Take Operation Iraqi Freedom for instance? Telic means expressing purpose, although I can't quite see the rationale behind it's use. At least it doesn't suggest a final goal and is easier to fudge in terms of expected results.

Maybe someone can enlighten me?

SF

5. TELIC ??? I thought that stood for The Easy Life In Cyprus - or that's what I had for 3 of my 6 month pier head jump!!!! :lol: Don't like to talk about the other 3 though :wink:

There is some convention I believe regarding names - Operations have a single word name IE Corporate, Granby, Fresco etc and Exercises have a double word name such as Neptune Warrior, Flying Fish, Purple Helmet etc

6. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

I'd heard it was "Tell Everyone Leave Is Cancelled"

Flags

7. Sorry to disappoint but Operation names are generated by a computer somewhere deep in MoD and are plucked at random by said machine from a list.

Obviously this avoids the security implications and emotive issues surrounding names like Op Iraqi Feedom or Op Destroy Iran

8. We use some names that turn out to be bitterly ironic, rather than cool.
    Such as Operation Restore Hope in Somalia. Hehe..how we laughed!

Should have been called Operation Stick Your D!ck in a Hornets Nest.

9. Dont forget those nice T-shirts.

I'm here for the TWAT!
    (The War against Terror)

10. I can see the need for computer-generated codenames for secret operations, but for non-secret ones it is pointless. Telic, Granby, Corporate, Herrick, Palliser all sound unbelievably obscure, uninspiring and generally rubbish. What's next? Ops Iambic, Dominick, Edmundsbury and Baxter? Operation Choleric, Dyspraxic, Bilber, and Oleander?

Perhaps it is too much to hope that a great campaign of the future will be given a name like Dynamo, Avalanche, Battleaxe or Overlord.

11. Op Fiasco (sorry, meant Fresco) was perhaps an unfortunate choice.

Musketeer was a good one - pity the Yanks shafted us...

APN

12. How I would love to see that Op Name appear on a signal :p

13. Fighting_Sailor said: Sorry to disappoint but Operation names are generated by a computer somewhere deep in MoD and are plucked at random by said machine from a list.

Obviously this avoids the security implications and emotive issues surrounding names like Op Iraqi Feedom or Op Destroy Iran

--------------------------------
    Thereby highlighting the differences between US & UK approach to foreign policy.

SF

14. I, for one, am quite happy to avoid the literalistic approach to naming ops. The US military has since desert storm at the very latest taken the approach of marketing their wars in a 't-shirt and platic lunch-box' kind of way.

The press centre of Iraqi Freedom was designed by someone who makes hollywood movie sets, whereas we made do with a lecturn and/or occasionally a beleagured major standing outside an aircraft hanger.

Give me something non-descript and sensible sounding anyday. :)

15. The NCS fraternity in the RNR ran a series of annual exercises in UK east coast ports entiltled Live Se-Ex. The rational was that they were live boardings/briefings of merchant ships and as the training was regionalised it was the south east region! Raised a few eyebrows within regular circles. They said it couldn't be used as there was an exercise naming routine and exercise names for signal traffic had to conform. They were disappointed to learn that all comms was done by email and fax!!
    Everyone knew about the exercises though!!!!

16. TWAT , I'l go with that :lol: :roll: