Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

stuff to do in my life before AIB

im looking into stuff like that, im hoping for maybe something sports or activity based.

To be honest, im pretty shocked at the strictness etc of the AIB, ive been just dossing for years thinking acedemic ability and a fair bit of physical fitness would do

apparently not

If you are dead set on becoming an officer things you really need to do are.
1. Insert Plum in mouth
2. Remove back bone
3. Forget any CDF you have ever learnt
4. Begin to consider anything you are told by more experianced persons to be lies.

4 simple steps sucess in the wardroom.

Enjoy

that sounds like good advice, and also sounds like their is a fair bit of snobbery and bitching between officers, i might not know what im getting in to

In January 2005 the last elements of "what school did you go to" (and so forth) at the AIB were removed. Now it's a totally objective assessment - ie the board watching you on your tasks and speaking to you in the interview. Also it used to be that the CPO who looks after you would tell the board what he thought of you as part of the assessment; they no longer do that. Doubtlessly there is a lot of snobbery in the wardroom but I would guess that this is going to start dieing out now.

In other words you could be Prince William and today's AIB would still fail you if you didn't tick the right boxes on the leadership tasks or whatever. As for the Army however..... they might be different, who knows :p

I am going for my AIB and i would listen to dunkers if i were you he is totally right and has taught me alot of things about the AIB he is very useful ( hope you don't midn me saying so dunkers) .
Another thing have you been on any aquaint courses theses are really herlpful and very valuable and also ship visits and short trips i have had the wonderful opportunity to do both of these and just completed the BRNC summer camp all these show how much you are comitted to joining the Royal Navy as an Officer.

Good tip (and take it from me as a Regulator; and this works in ALL areas of the RN): Be honest and don't bullsh*t a bullsh*tter! If you don't know the answer don't waffle. The AIB personnel have probably heard almost every excuse so far and will prod, poke and exploit every chink in your armour. They are not necessarily singling you out for criticism but are seeing how you react when faced with a dilemma under pressure. If you don't know, say so - don't lie. Being clever is fine; trying to be clever is not!

matlo_caroline said:
I am going for my AIB and i would listen to dunkers if i were you he is totally right and has taught me alot of things about the AIB he is very useful ( hope you don't midn me saying so dunkers) .
Another thing have you been on any aquaint courses theses are really herlpful and very valuable and also ship visits and short trips i have had the wonderful opportunity to do both of these and just completed the BRNC summer camp all these show how much you are comitted to joining the Royal Navy as an Officer.

See you in the fleet (and ohaire) as my next D.O.

Seriously good luck to both :wink:

A point to make, if you want to make a good naval officer you can do as many courses and get as many qualifications as you like and it will make not one little bit of difference. I am sorry to say if you want to be true to yourself if you don’t have `it` you wont make it.
Hope this makes sense.

Old Salt i totally agree even though i done all these courses it might not get me anywhere but certainly gives me an isight and confirms what i want to do.

ohaire said:
im looking to do something voluntary related to sport, prefereably something where i can really blow the leadership bugle

It's not all about sport and leadership, I've not seen anyone mention a broad understanding of world events and current affairs?

Good Luck anyway ohaire.

dunkers said:
They no longer assess your awareness of current affairs at the AIB now. Which is a mistake maybe.

I wasnt aware of that, shows how old I'm getting!
I think that's a big mistake! Although I know some people in the past who have failed on just that - should they get the chance to go through now!!

Right im appling for the AIb got all my papers.
Would they not mind that my full time job tillthe navy would possibly be a Community Support officer and do you think they will like it.

They would like it even if you worked in Mcdonalds. A certain midshipman you like or used to like worked there and they "loved it". I can't see them "minding" it at all; it's not like you've been working for the Soviet Navy before applying to the RN is it? In fact you could make a big deal about working with people in potentially difficult scenarios.

Latest Threads