Studying on small ships

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by FireMonkey, Jun 2, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As small ships (MCMV's) are, well, small and have limited crew on board. Would I be naive in thinking there is time/space/resources on board to complete ad-quals?
  2. Sorry, should have made it clearer. Yes GCSE/A Levels etc.
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

As stated, it's "do-able" on mine warfare ships but in practical terms you seldom spend many consecutive days at sea, are often keeping watches and may find it more difficult to find a venue on board that lends itself to meaningful study. Generally, there is more time and places to study on larger ships & submarines whilst deployed in my experience.
  4. If you are still going diver then the dive store (if the killick frog ever leaves there) has a desk and plug points etc. Failing that, the tech office/Gunz desk is rarely used after 1600.

When not hunting the ops room and ops room annex are suitable too. This is based on a hunt by the way. **** knows about single roles, never had one.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. on small ships is there someone who doubles as an education officer (if such thing exists) or would I sorting out the exams/entrances myself?
  6. Yeah one of the officers helps out. Maaybe gunz or Navs. Though as it's not their main job you get visits from the Ed Dept. You can visit them too in Nelson/ Neptune etc. You'll get the learning in ok don't worry.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Ninja_Stoker

During my time on Hurworth as a PO Stoker, there certainly wasn`t enough time to undertake additional studies, but as Froggers suggests, maybe it`s different for divers. Whilst I was on there (STANAFORCHAN mainly) the divers didn`t seem to do much diving in that particular role, but were certainly kept busy in the "Warfare" aspect,

For Froggers, Cox`n was Dan the Man, followed by Tim S (last heard, he was a WO).
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  8. Old ships! I was killick frog on there. Dan is a WO(D) and so is Tim. Though Tim has been out and come back in and is bizzarely an FTRS 2 ringer teaching in Saudi. They won't listen to a Warrant so have to be made up out there.

NSKO? The binmen were my run shore oppos when I was swain. MEO/DMEO and the two PO Binmen. Great lads.
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, NSKO. Horrible job.

Alex P & Bomber Mills were MEO & deps during my time, but in my experience, once a good ship, always a good ship unless there`s an arse CO.
  10. You can keep NSKO job oppo. Dire. Especially when I ws trying to get morphine. I used to walk in the mess with a pot of tea and laugh at the NSKO. He knew straight away what a pain I was gonna be! Utter gash job.
  11. I'll bite, what's an NSKO?
  12. Ninja_Stoker

The NSKO job itself wasn't too bad, but what made it difficult is you were a one in three watchkeeper, SSD on the bridge when off watch and had all machinery that wasn't main engines or generators.

Divers kept you quite busy as they were forever breaking outboards on the boats, "losing" bits of shiney expensive kit, especially if it had 'Rolex' stamped on it, and always needing bombs, bullets and medical stuff. Other than that, a doddle.

Duff spolling
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  13. How else can we drive fancy cars?

Wrecks. Like most jobs onboard MCMV's you get about a one day PJT and crack on. Really is a dire job.

My one on the Hurworth as killick diver went propper wibble. Never saw him again.
  14. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Agree with Ninja here. Depending on your branch, you may be too busy to get in a great deal of meaningful study on small ships. Stokers tend to be very busy on small ships, as do the chefs.
  15. The bin men are busy as they are always getting seen off by squadron. I used to ring for an AB Binman and all I was offered was a fresh out the box never been to sea baby stoker. My MEO gave up in the end and took anyone. This looked ok to all the shiney arses but onbaord in meant the lads having to dig out to cover the "gap".
  16. Ninja_Stoker

17. Yeah Ex LD from the day has just sold a Comex for £75,000. We have just had a Bremont commsioned for the branch. Hopefully be worth a penny when I'm old and no longer diving.
  18. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Froggers, yep that still happens. It made me chuckle when they decommished the flat tops. We were gapped to **** at the time and kept getting told by WMO, "Don't worry, we'll have loads of manpower soon." Guess what, we got one killick stoker to fill a lad's billet and this plethora of manpower disappeared into the ether!
  19. Cheers for the NSKO explanation, I see where you're coming from, I was the ME dept stores co-ordinator POMEM on one boat but we had Jack Dusty's and no maintenance work for me although still watchkeeping. Don't like the idea of having to be the whole boat stores bod plus the "day" job though.