Studying for the AIB - Comment on my current study plan?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by JayCam, Sep 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I dont have an AIB date yet but I have started studying but since I have not really been told much about the AIB (except on this forum) I am not sure if I am on track with regards to the material I am studying so anyone in the know please take a look and let me know if I should be including anything else... most of this is from the MoD Royal Navy book and the RN website:

The Modern Navy:

Strategic Forces (SSBNs)

Combat Forces (Attack Subs, Frigates, Destroyers, Aircraft Carriers, Mine Count. Vessels, Patrol Vessels)

Airpower (Aircraft and Helicopters of the RN, RAF and Army Aviation Support)

Rapid Deployment Forces (Helicopter Carrier, Assault Ships, Landing Docks etc)

Royal Marines Commandos (40, 42 and 45 Commando, 29 Commando Regt RA etc)

Reserve and Training Forces (RNR, RMR, URNU etc)

Support Forces, RFA and Marine Services

Future Projects (Type 45, Future Aircraft Carrier, JSF etc)

Weaponry (Sea Wolf, Sea Dart, Harpoon, Tomahawk etc)

History of the Navy (Famous leaders, battles, ships etc)

Stuff that might help with the psychometric test (basic numeracy, mechanics, grammer etc)

Physical (Running and jogging, weights, heavy bag sessions etc)

Am I on the right track? Have I missed something? I am going for logistics officer so is there any particular feild I should study heavily? Anyone who has been there, done that and got the tee shirt I would be very grateful if you would offer your opinions/advice...

Cheers :)

2. Shit, basic arithmetic would be useful for counting blankets, and as for grammer, try a dictionary, hope this helps. :w00t:
  3. Not at all lol.

4. The navy does not need people who can spout Janes verbatim, they already have the book. They need people who can lead men/women, who can make choices for logical reasons, who can think on their feet and not collapse in a gibbering heap when the proverbial hits the fan. You will need to be able to inspire and motivate those who work for you.

Try reading up on the other threads on the AIB, on what it entails and how you ;pass it and you will have a better idea.

Equally fitness is but a hurdle, when you can get ver it you are there, jumping higher will help very little
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

6. I can confirm that this is an excellent post! Very useful and I would have appreciated seeing this prior to my own AIB
  7. Try and learn: who's who is the RN; badges and rank; shore bases (including their HMS names); where the RN are on deployment at the time of you AIB and why they are there.

You shouldn't have too much trouble with the knowledge test, it was the area most people did well on. I would try and make sure that you are well read and can give a concise analysis of a range of topics that currently dominate the public arena.

I went to the local library for some GCSE English language books, as I was always pretty hopeless at school, and had to make a conscious effort to improve before I sat the AIB. If you check everything you write, avoid text speak/type and keep practising you should improve before the AIB- picking up easy points when you write the essay.

Aside from that I would say that the Board are looking for inherent qualities- although what these are is anyone’s guess.

I wrote a brief synopsis of my time at the AIB as soon I left (because I thought my score might not be good enough to secure me a place this time round) if you would like a copy PM me.

8. Current affairs and the background to why our tropops are deployed in particular locations - have your own opinion on this as well, they want to see that you can think things through and come to your own conclusion, beprepared to supprot your views.

Speed/Time Distance calculations!

Good Luck
  9. Thanks everyone! Much appreciated. I know that they are looking for leaders not encyclopedias but the areas that I can improve on, I will.

10. What did I tell you about checking what you write?? ^^^
    Honestly. Tut tut.
  11. lol edited... I am more accurate when I am not writing on forums, honest!

12. Jaycam, firstly good luck when you get a date.

A few little tips for you.....

The RNFT (Royal Navy Fitness Test) that you do while your there make sure you go until you drop, show determination. They are not looking at your fitness level they are looking at how much you want it! Aim for level 10 plus as pass mark in the RN is level 9.10 (under 25)

Know your training pipeline. Look through the training you will be doing. Understand what will happen at Dartmouth and beyond. What do you want to get out of training? Where do you see yourself in 5, 10 years time within the RN. think realistically on that one.

The RN these days prefers to concentrate on the Future rather than the past. You wont need to talk about Cunningham but an understanding of CVF, T45 and JSF will be helpful. If you wish to know more please message me as i have worked on those projects for the last year and am in the know!

Dont be afraid to ask questions!

Dont be an arse to your team. Work together and get in with your team-mates. Get to know them as soon as you walk in the door!

A very handy item is the most recent navy news. In the front page is a map of the globe, learn where the ships and operations are going on. In the final inrterview they will ask you where things are and ask you to point operations out and maybe ships. Know what todays navy is up to!

I hope this helps, please dont be shy to contact me if you want to know more!

your helpful leading hand!

13. Naval knowledge makes up a tiny portion of the overall AIB. You need to focus on maths, english, leadership and examples of when you've lead. Think scenarios - think of a time when you've lead, encountered problems, dealt with difficult people etc - then talk about how you dealt with it. If you have some 'ready use answers' to hand, the whole thing becomes a lot easier.
  14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Good point!

Some suggestions could be answers to:

Give an example of how you've managed a team to complete a task

What is your proudest achievement?

What are your weaknesses?

What are your qualities?
  15. I agree also, Naval knowledge is easy to study for.

None the less the above question are asked in your Q101 form so dont forget what you wrote and have a few other expirences in your back pocket and be able to tell more about the stuff on your Q101.

I was asked, Desccribe a time when i had to be brave? that seems to come up alot recently.
  16. That's a Catch-22! If you provide a good example of your own 'bravery' they might think you're an immodest bozo or a braggart, and on the other hand if you say something like you had to fight the fear down as you sat your driving test they might be unimpressed.
  17. I know its an odd question. I told them mine was when i joined the navy. another said it was when he overcame his fear of rollercoasters!
  18. When I was asked why I wanted to join the Royal Navy, I almost wish I'd had the temerity to respond, "All the right reasons, Sir!" instead of launching into my admiration of fictional and factual naval heroes and my interest in all things maritime. However, I must have said something right.
  19. On your Q101 Photcopy it before you send it away and keep having the odd read at it to remind yourself what you said. One good thing to study on is Where ships are currently deployed, but make sure you learn on an American map! As i found out the hard way.
  20. SWALKE, what's the difference with an American map please - I'm used to a standard Mercator of the globe - will I learn the hard way as you did?