Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

STUDYING FOR QUALIFICATIONS

User673873

Midshipman
Hi,

I’ve just turned 17 and I start my basic training on the 1st June. (applied for communications) I only plan on working at the royal navy for about 4 years and am hoping to go to university afterwards- however, I didn’t stay in school long enough therefore only have Nat 5’s (GCSE’s) and was wondering if it was possible to study and obtain highers (A-levels)while away at sea, and a bit more about how it works. Cheers.

slim

War Hero
Unless it has changed you will be enitled to an annual education allowance.
This can be spent on many aspects of education including A levels.
However for your first two years or so you will be learning your trade so to speak and having to complete your task book.
Sorry I have been out far too long to know how much of your time this takes so will leave it to others to inform you of how much spare time you will have for extra studies

Sumo

War Hero
@slim is correct, to do all the Navy training requirements, and the required A levels in 4 years could be very challenging. Once in speak with your DO and a Schooly, they should be able to help. You never know you may like the navy and study a degree whilst on full pay?

Last edited:

Zoidberg

War Hero
A levels, GCSEs, degrees are all possible.

After 6 years in you get £1k a year to use on education, at 8 years this rises to £2k. But be careful because you can only use them 3 times and they can also be used towards your resettlement courses.

You also get an annual allowance from day one which pays 80% of a course to a maximum reimbursement of £175. The downside is that it has to have a service benefit but that's easily blagged.

There's also a funded degree scheme where the mob will pay 100% of your university tuition when you leave, but you need under 120 CATS points and have served 6 years. LINK

From my understanding, most A levels will be run by the education centre or a distance learning provider. Exams will be taken at the ed centre, at another centre if you're doing it off your own back, or they may approve an officer or senior rate to act as an invigilater if you're deployed.

Most base libraries have a selection of GCSE and A level materials, and I believe if you're away they can actually forward them to you as well.

I've never done A levels with the mob, only other courses, but overall the support is there and the RN like it when someone takes the initiative to further their education.

Zoidberg

War Hero
Forgot to mention that the ELCs can be used for ten years after leaving so if uni is free because you're Scottish, then you can always use it for something else

With Scottish fees a full degree is also about £6k with the open university and they're very good at supporting military students.

As the others have said, time could be a challenge but you can only try and if it isn't working you can readjust your plan.

User673873

Midshipman
Forgot to mention that the ELCs can be used for ten years after leaving so if uni is free because you're Scottish, then you
Forgot to mention that the ELCs can be used for ten years after leaving so if uni is free because you're Scottish, then you can always use it for something else

With Scottish fees a full degree is also about £6k with the open university and they're very good at supporting military students.

As the others have said, time could be a challenge but you can only try and if it isn't working you can readjust your plan.

can always use it for something else

Unless it has changed you will be enitled to an annual education allowance.
This can be spent on many aspects of education including A levels.
However for your first two years or so you will be learning your trade so to speak and having to complete your task book.
Sorry I have been out far too long to know how much of your time this takes so will leave it to others to inform you of how much spare time you will have for extra studies
Cheers mate

soleil

War Hero
Hi,

I’ve just turned 17 and I start my basic training on the 1st June. (applied for communications) I only plan on working at the royal navy for about 4 years and am hoping to go to university afterwards- however, I didn’t stay in school long enough therefore only have Nat 5’s (GCSE’s) and was wondering if it was possible to study and obtain highers (A-levels)while away at sea, and a bit more about how it works. Cheers.

Why only 4 years?

Was the possibility of staying on to do Highers and then joining or staying on to do Highers and then Uni not something you could consider?

User673873

Midshipman
Why only 4 years?

Was the possibility of staying on to do Highers and then joining or staying on to do Highers and then Uni not something you could consider?
I take it you mean staying in school to do highers then joining the navy, and afterwards going to uni?
If so I left school for personal reasons and yes I have considered going back for 6th year and getting my highers.
And to answer why only 4 years, I guess if I was to go to uni I’d still want to be fairly young to get the full experience, especially considering I’d probably miss out on that quite a bit being at the navy.
With that being said the Royal Navy is still 100% my top priority.

Zoidberg

War Hero
In my opinion, staying for the 6 years is worth it. That way, you get access to the Enhanced Learning Credits and the resettlement package. It will also allow you to focus on the A levels at a more comfortable pace.

It's all something to consider when you're in and out of training, though.

Mmmm, generalising but still saddens me that today's younkers are of the mindset that commitment is but an out of work old former musician from the slums of Dublin & cooperation a seedy supermart in a secondary shopping area somewhere off the beaten track.

Loyalty? Ah that'll be the forever bunce accruing to a once-famous Asian B list pop star...

Zoidberg

War Hero
Mmmm, generalising but still saddens me that today's younkers are of the mindset that commitment is but an out of work old former musician from the slums of Dublin & cooperation a seedy supermart in a secondary shopping area somewhere off the beaten track.

Loyalty? Ah that'll be the forever bunce accruing to a once-famous Asian B list pop star...

What's wrong with joining and serving as a stepping stone? He won't be the first person who has done it, nor the last.

User673873

Midshipman

Mmmm, generalising but still saddens me that today’s older generation are of the mindset that they can speak to the youth in such a condescending, pretentious manner.

Helping them out and maybe giving them some words of wisdom from the life experience you’ve had so maybe they can benefit from it and make the right choices? Na, **** that just slag them off that’ll do it.

Waspie

War Hero
Many of us 'older generation' saw the Services as a career. Whereas later generations don't.
Our experiences are not totally relevant in todays modern RN. A few things have remained the same but uniform's, ships and ships systems have changed almost beyond recognition.
As for four years service. It's hardly a commitment! Which even civilian companies look for! Might like to keep that one quiet at interview.
What many of us oldies have also observed after years on this site alone is; many come on here for advice etc but don't listen and only take on board those answers that they wish to hear. Rather than miss or ignore sound advice.

Alfacharlie

War Hero
Mmmm, generalising but still saddens me that today’s older generation are of the mindset that they can speak to the youth in such a condescending, pretentious manner.

Helping them out and maybe giving them some words of wisdom from the life experience you’ve had so maybe they can benefit from it and make the right choices? Na, **** that just slag them off that’ll do it.
Wind your neck in springs to mind.

User673873

Midshipman
Many of us 'older generation' saw the Services as a career. Whereas later generations don't.
Our experiences are not totally relevant in todays modern RN. A few things have remained the same but uniform's, ships and ships systems have changed almost beyond recognition.
As for four years service. It's hardly a commitment! Which even civilian companies look for! Might like to keep that one quiet at interview.
What many of us oldies have also observed after years on this site alone is; many come on here for advice etc but don't listen and only take on board those answers that they wish to hear. Rather than miss or ignore sound advice.

I’m completely open to all advice but the comment I was replying to wasn’t advice at all, it has absolutely no benefit to me at all.

slim

War Hero
I take it you mean staying in school to do highers then joining the navy, and afterwards going to uni?
If so I left school for personal reasons and yes I have considered going back for 6th year and getting my highers.
And to answer why only 4 years, I guess if I was to go to uni I’d still want to be fairly young to get the full experience, especially considering I’d probably miss out on that quite a bit being at the navy.
With that being said the Royal Navy is still 100% my top priority.
Only my opinion but I reckon that you will find Uni life a little tame after 4 years in the RN :)
You may also find your fellow students boring as you will have changed beyond all recognition after your service.
There is an old saying "You can take the man out of the Navy, but you will never take the Navy out of the man"

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Only my opinion but I reckon that you will find Uni life a little tame after 4 years in the RN :)
You may also find your fellow students boring as you will have changed beyond all recognition after your service.
There is an old saying "You can take the man out of the Navy, but you will never take the Navy out of the man"
I did my degree after leaving the RN. Trust me, there was MUCH more fun during my RN runs ashore. I think I only ever went into the Union a couple of times.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS 25 Argentine students return from studying in the UK with Chevening MoD News 0
MoD_RSS More Kuwaitis studying in the UK than ever before: op-ed by Michael Davenport MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government welcomes more pupils studying science MoD News 0
S Studying law in the RN UPO/Careers Office 15
MoD_RSS News story: Experience life-changing learning by studying in the UK! MoD News 0
richard richard AET - Subjects worth studying before entry? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
FireMonkey Studying on small ships The Quarterdeck 18
M Studying Medicine While in The Service. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
G Life Whilst Studying as an Officer Cadet RFA 21
G Studying Submariners 7
R Studying Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
M Studying a degree in the Royal Navy. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 28
C Studying whilst in the navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
S Studying part-time - Your experiences? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
J Studying for the AIB - Comment on my current study plan? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
charl_louize DO YOU APPLY WHILE YOU'RE STILL STUDYING THEN? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
9 studying while a marine The Corps 6
MoD_RSS Qualifications review consultation response MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Education Qualifications and Awards (EQ Awards) surrender Ofqual recognition MoD News 0
S Qualifications, Upper Yardsman Joining the Royal Navy 11
MoD_RSS Next stage of post-16 qualifications overhaul gets under way MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New SIA licence-linked qualifications MoD News 0
mick1199 Entry requirements and accepted qualifications Joining the Royal Navy 6
MoD_RSS Statement on grading vocational and technical qualifications this summer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Grading of vocational and technical qualifications MoD News 0
S Employment Opportunities and Qualifications for Warfare Intelligence Officer? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
MoD_RSS Ofqual support for reform of Higher Technical Qualifications MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Perceptions of qualifications in England MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ofqual decisions on awarding vocational and technical qualifications this summer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Exceptional arrangements for awarding qualifications this summer MoD News 0
S Leadership Qualifications The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 20
MoD_RSS Industry Qualifications surrender Ofqual recognition MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ofqual consultation on awarding vocational and technical qualifications in summer 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Awarding vocational and technical qualifications this summer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement on vocational and technical qualifications in 2020 MoD News 0
J ETME qualifications Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
K Qualifications required to become a Warfare Officer, i.e UCAS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
MoD_RSS Drivers of choice for vocational and technical qualifications MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Response to BBC story about minicab driver qualifications MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Consultation on rules for Department for Education performance table qualifications MoD News 0
MoD_RSS How can we ensure public confidence in qualifications? MoD News 0
M Retake Qualifications? Joining the Royal Navy 1
MoD_RSS British Army soldiers’ skills mapped to the Scottish qualifications framework MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Hundreds of students to take youth work qualifications after new government investment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Maintaining standards in reformed Functional Skills qualifications MoD News 0
R Question about Qualifications from Ireland Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
MoD_RSS Qualifications regulators consult on changes to rules MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Perceptions of vocational and technical qualifications - wave 2 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Further measures announced to boost the quality of post-16 qualifications MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New qualifications to help teachers progress their careers MoD News 0