Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Studied law - hated it, now want to pursue a career in engineering with the navy

08hjhi

Hi everyone.

I'm currently preparing to put my application in for either the accelerated apprenticeship scheme, or the undergraduate apprenticeship scheme to do engineering with the Navy (im currently undecided which area but I'm leaning towards avionics at the moment).

My background is, I studied and completed a law degree after having no idea what to do with myself after college. Now that I have graduated I can recognise that my decision to go to uni was not made on a long term basis, but just because it filled the next 3 years, and now I realise I hated my degree and have no interest in pursuing any career in or related to law (I think i've always known this but never accepted while I was studying). I massively regret this and wish I'd had thought things through more before uni but I can't change anything now!

I've always had an aptitude for fixing things, working out how things work by taking them apart and putting them back together, and just general DIY jobs and building things (my latest project was building my own FPV drone). With this in mind I've decided that I want to pursue a career in engineering, and I've always had an interest in the military. From my research the navy seem to offer the best apprenticeships out of all the forces and it's just the one I have most interest in anyway.

Before I apply, I need to get a STEM A-level to go along side my maths A-level so that I'm eligible for the apprenticeships I want to go down. I've just started self studying a physics A-level with a view to take the exam in 2021 whilst I get myself fitter and more in tune with the application process etc.

So my questions to you are; has anyone else had a similar experience and if so how did it work out for you? Do you have any advice for me on how to best prepare myself for the application and interviews? Should I also consider just going in for the standard apprenticeship as an engineering technician so that I can get in a lot faster - If I did this, what would be my chances whilst in the navy to study to a higher level than just a level 2 NVQ and progress? I've got a lot to learn still so any other comments or advice you have are welcome. I'm also planning to visit my local AFCO in the next week.

Cheers guys.

fishhead

War Hero
It looks as though you have plenty to offer but the best advice will always come from the AFCO. Go and have your chat with them. They will be able to advise you on timelines for your preferred options and what you need to achieve to be considered. The accelerated apprenticeship courses have limited space and they are keenly fought over.
Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Kazakh-British joint venture to explore a series of partially studied reserves MoD News 0
creddly Anyone Every Studied or Trained Whilst In The Navy? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 40
MoD_RSS UK Note Verbale on continued extension of the 1982 UN Convention on the Law of the Sea to BIOT MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chair’s speech to the Charity Law Association Annual Conference 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 1000s of seafarers to receive fair pay as UK changes law on national minimum wage MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Venues required by law to record contact details MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CMA updates competition law risk guide for managers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government has changed the law so most renters have a 6 month notice period MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Family Public Law Reform: National rollout of digital care and supervision applications resumes in September MoD News 0
MoD_RSS World-leading new law to protect rainforests and clean up supply chains MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New law to ensure furloughed employees receive full redundancy payments MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Law change to better protect consumers in event of insolvencies MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New law changes to bring better connectivity to the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Landmark building safety law to keep residents safe MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Major changes to insolvency law come into force MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Musical instrument firms to pay millions after breaking competition law MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Why we fined Casio £3.7 million for breaking competition law MoD News 0
MoD_RSS G7 urges China to reconsider national security law MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Pharma company director disqualified for competition law breaches MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Reappointment of Professor Nicholas Hopkins as Law Commissioner for property, family and trust law MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government response to Law Commission report on the Sentencing Code MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Lord Hodge: Technology and the Law MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Lucy’s Law spells the beginning of the end for puppy farming MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government to suspend competition law to support Isle of Wight ferry routes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Changes to the law in Northern Ireland: updated information MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Times Law Awards 2020: Robert Buckland speech MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Lucy’s Law: Vets reveal the true cost of puppy and kitten farms MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Private International Law Bill introduced in Parliament MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Appointments to the Attorney General's Public International Law A, B and C panels MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CMA to issue consumer law guidelines for the IVF sector MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sustainable fisheries enshrined in law as UK leaves the EU MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK set to introduce ‘Jack’s Law’ – new legal right to paid parental bereavement leave MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Waste manager receives prison sentence for flouting the law MoD News 0
MoD_RSS ‘Helen’s Law’ returns to Parliament MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Implementing International Humanitarian Law in Yemen MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government announces plans to review pre-charge bail law MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Bogus law firm boss banned for a decade MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Construction firms fined £36 million for breaking competition law MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Helen’s Law takes vital step closer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS International humanitarian law and counter-terrorism MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Violations of international humanitarian law in Yemen MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Our shared commitment to law, norms and confidence building in cyberspace MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Natasha's legacy becomes law MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Two Law Commissioners appointed to the Law Commission MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Calling for full respect of international law and dialogue in the Middle East MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Brexit Secretary signs order to scrap 1972 Brussels Act - ending all EU law in the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Enforcing international humanitarian law MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Fines for anglers caught flouting the law MoD News 0
MoD_RSS (Official Warning Withdrawn): Charitable think tank warned over breaches of charity law MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Justice Secretary confirms plans for ‘Helen’s Law’ MoD News 0