Studied law - hated it, now want to pursue a career in engineering with the navy

08hjhi

Hi everyone.

I'm currently preparing to put my application in for either the accelerated apprenticeship scheme, or the undergraduate apprenticeship scheme to do engineering with the Navy (im currently undecided which area but I'm leaning towards avionics at the moment).

My background is, I studied and completed a law degree after having no idea what to do with myself after college. Now that I have graduated I can recognise that my decision to go to uni was not made on a long term basis, but just because it filled the next 3 years, and now I realise I hated my degree and have no interest in pursuing any career in or related to law (I think i've always known this but never accepted while I was studying). I massively regret this and wish I'd had thought things through more before uni but I can't change anything now!

I've always had an aptitude for fixing things, working out how things work by taking them apart and putting them back together, and just general DIY jobs and building things (my latest project was building my own FPV drone). With this in mind I've decided that I want to pursue a career in engineering, and I've always had an interest in the military. From my research the navy seem to offer the best apprenticeships out of all the forces and it's just the one I have most interest in anyway.

Before I apply, I need to get a STEM A-level to go along side my maths A-level so that I'm eligible for the apprenticeships I want to go down. I've just started self studying a physics A-level with a view to take the exam in 2021 whilst I get myself fitter and more in tune with the application process etc.

So my questions to you are; has anyone else had a similar experience and if so how did it work out for you? Do you have any advice for me on how to best prepare myself for the application and interviews? Should I also consider just going in for the standard apprenticeship as an engineering technician so that I can get in a lot faster - If I did this, what would be my chances whilst in the navy to study to a higher level than just a level 2 NVQ and progress? I've got a lot to learn still so any other comments or advice you have are welcome. I'm also planning to visit my local AFCO in the next week.

Cheers guys.

fishhead

War Hero
It looks as though you have plenty to offer but the best advice will always come from the AFCO. Go and have your chat with them. They will be able to advise you on timelines for your preferred options and what you need to achieve to be considered. The accelerated apprenticeship courses have limited space and they are keenly fought over.
Good luck with whatever you choose to do.