Stretched but not overstretched:- What about now!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by chieftiff, Jan 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Reported in the Telegraph today, mission creep?:

"Mr Browne was involved in heated exchanges in the Commons over Conservative claims that three Army battalions were being prepared to go to Afghanistan to replace the two already there – an increase of between 500-600 soldiers."

So Des Browne getting more flack for committing more troops to Afghanistan, I wonder why?
  2. I am sure that the reason Labour is doing worse and worse in the polls is that people are finding more and more difficult to believe what minister say.
  3. What a farce! Is it because of Bush sending in more US troops to Iraq? We have got to be seen doing the right thing for the US? No, of course not.
    And how can he (Browne) say in the same breath, Quote--Still hope to withdraw thousands of troops from Iraq this year, providing the hand over of security to Iraqi Forces in the South of the country went ahead this year.--unquote. I don't think so! The word "providing" is used in good content in that quote isn't it?
    The equipment procurement is a nightmare now, will these extra troops be adequately equipped? God, I hope so.
    Overstretched is a real word.
  4. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

I think he hopes the more times he says it then the more likely it is to come true!
  5. Is it really more troops?

The article states that its three army battalions to relieve 2 RM Commandos. Now either an army inf bn is smaller than a RM Cdo, less effective, or the mission does need more troops. Anyone want to hazard a guess?

Also, 3 Cdo Bde HQ, plus BRF, CSG et al is a significantly bigger package than a comparable inf bde, with a lot of specific capabilities (BRF is pretty unique apart from Pathfinder Pl, plus Viking is useful armoured transport). Wonder how percy is going to make up the difference?

6. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

3 Commando Brigade doesn't just include the blokes at the pointy end but the men and women at varying distances astern. The pongos will be no different. Or maybe the job is bigger than Mr Reid PhD hoped (we already know it is).
  7. Really, really time for a miltary coup.... but I didn't say that.
  8. a CHF squadron was warned out on friday for summer in that hole