Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Streets for heroes

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Whilst I agree with the sentiment, and it has been a long established practice in reality, why does the cynic in me see this as a Labour vote grabbing ploy?

fishhead

War Hero
It might as well be military heroes rather than the local political bigwigs.The vast majority won't have heard of either so it matters not.As for being a vote catcher,the relatively small number who bother to vote in local elections will need more than this to secure their allegiance.

flymo

War Hero
At least it is better than the names of Middle Eastern financial benefactors over (in)famous WW1 battles

Guzzler

War Hero
Whilst I agree with the sentiment, and it has been a long established practice in reality, why does the cynic in me see this as a Labour vote grabbing ploy?

As broadside said, it almost certainly is...but so is everything that a political party does. That's what they're for - self promotion. I have now reached a degre of cynicism where I don't believe that any politician whatsoever does anything for the common good.

Apart from Tony that is.

Edit: Arghhh - not that Tony. Another one.

Taloolah

Banned

Well said Wrecker.

Liabour riding on the back of the Conservative's reinstatement of national pride. (That's 'N.a.t.i.o.n.a.l. P.r.i.d.e., not 'F.a.s.c.i.s.m.' for those on RR whose comments on other threads indicate they clearly don't know the difference).

G

guestm

Why would anyone want their street renamed after some chavvy, non-achieving, poorly educated, punchy **** who just happened to be unlucky enough to get his chit punched on foreign soil in a bullshit war? Perhaps if their dying words were the sudden disclosure of the cure for AIDS I'd be in agreement.

Not that all members of the Armed Forces are chavvy, non-achieving, poorly educated, punchy *****. Merely about 87.5%.

**** off Labour.

Edited because I'm a chavvy, non-achieving, poorly educated punchy **** and made a grammatical error.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guzzler

War Hero
Why would anyone want their street renamed after some chavvy, non-achieving, poorly educated, punchy **** who just happened to be unlucky enough to get his chit punched on foreign soil in a bullshit war? Perhaps if their dying words were the sudden disclosure of the cure for AIDS I'd be in agreement.

Not that all members of the Armed Forces are chavvy, non-achieving, poorly educated, punchy *****. Merely about 87.5%.

**** off Labour.

Edited because I'm a chavvy, non-achieving, poorly educated punchy **** and made a grammatical error.

Nearly choked on my crispy butterfly king prawn with sweet and sour dip then. Tip-top.

Rumrat

War Hero
Jabron Hashmi Street? Nah totally agree with Montey, who would want that for a name, some thick chavy bastard who got pegged in the ghan.
Or even Beharry road,...behave that sounds worse, kinda foreign.

Flagdeck

War Hero
I remember as a kid in the 50's growing up in South Yorkshire a lot of streets were named after Labour politicians.....
Kier Hardy Crescent..... Herbert Morrison Road......Atlee Avenue.......Bevan Street. Can't imagine them doing that now ...
Mandelson Mews............Prescott Place............Blunkett Avenue........Blair/Brown Boulevard.............Nah !

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I remember as a kid in the 50's growing up in South Yorkshire a lot of streets were named after Labour politicians.....
Kier Hardy Crescent..... Herbert Morrison Road......Atlee Avenue.......Bevan Street. Can't imagine them doing that now ...
Mandelson Mews............Prescott Place............Blunkett Avenue........Blair/Brown Boulevard.............Nah !

Must have been a blind alley!

Sharkey

Banned
Our streets have been named after the rich, the famous, the achievers, the titled, and none of the above, why not some person who died or risked their life in the service of their country, you will get some gobshite questioning the merit of the award, but thats what happens when you dish out prizes, its never a case of well done with some people, its criticism and scorn

Flagdeck

War Hero
I think naming streets after people killed in Afghan wouldn't go down too well in areas of Luton, Bradford and Brum, unless of course they were Taliban.

G

guestm

Our streets have been named after the rich, the famous, the achievers, the titled, and none of the above, why not some person who died or risked their life in the service of their country, you will get some gobshite questioning the merit of the award, but thats what happens when you dish out prizes, its never a case of well done with some people, its criticism and scorn

Because its ****. Getting killed achieving **** all isn't a reason to name a street after you.

Service of your country? Not really.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
sgtpepperband Hundreds line streets for returning heroes Current Affairs 6
MoD_RSS Border Force stop £15 million of cocaine hitting streets MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Safer Streets Fund to tackle burglary and theft MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £105 million to keep rough sleepers safe and off the streets during coronavirus pandemic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chancellor urges nation to support their high streets MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New support for reopening and recovery of high streets MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £50 million boost to support the recovery of our high streets MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £6.1 million funding boost to help high streets and town centres through pandemic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Launch of Safer Streets Fund MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Further funding and expert support for high streets MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 200 people to spend Christmas off the streets and in their own homes thanks to innovative government programme Housing First MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £95 million to revive historic high streets MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £1 billion Future High Streets Fund expanded to 50 more areas MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Smarter sentences, safer streets: David Gauke speech MoD News 0
MoD_RSS High streets open doors to community projects MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Multi-million fund to revitalise country's high streets MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: UK on verge of revolution to make parking easier and help British high streets MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Housing Minister announces boost for families and high streets as planning red tape is axed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: High streets to benefit from £62 million heritage boost MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Communities bid to make their high streets for the future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: James Brokenshire confirms funding to help people off the streets MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: £9.75 million to clean our high streets MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: More funding to help town centres and high streets thrive MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: £675 million fund to transform high streets and town centres opens to communities MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Timpson says a locally-driven approach needed to rejuvenate high streets MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Communities Secretary sets out vision for high streets as vibrant community hubs MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Budget to support new housing, high streets and local services MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Safer prisons, safer streets MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Streets ahead: British AI eyes scan future frontline in multinational urban experiment MoD News 0
soleil West Bridgford Wire: "Pictures: HMS Sherwood Parade Through Nottingham City Streets" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 1
soleil Sky Tyne And Wear: "Royal Navy Streets Ahead In Heritage quest" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 0
MoD_RSS Make it your New Year’s resolution to help get rough sleepers off the streets MoD News 2
The_Jimmy Aus and US Troops fight it out on the streets of Darwin Current Affairs 11
brazenhussy Yob Gangs: How can we get them off the streets? The Quarterdeck 44
D Taking to the streets of Guzz! The Quarterdeck 4
MoD_RSS Run for Heroes founder wins PM award MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Scottish Sea Rescue Heroes receive £125k UK Government funding MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Armed Forces heroes celebrated at The Sun Military Awards MoD News 0
soleil "Selfless Heroes Nominated For The Sun’s Military Awards" Current Affairs 8
MoD_RSS British Embassy Warsaw remembers British Heroes of the Holocaust MoD News 0
BillyNoMates Heroes & Heroines Current Affairs 1
MoD_RSS British medics in Samoa among the humanitarian heroes of 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PHE offers support to UK vaccine heroes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: UK aid heroes awarded New Year’s Honours MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Rescue heroes given £1 million for life-saving equipment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Marvel legends assemble to inspire next generation of engineering super heroes! MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: The Sun Military Awards 2018 reward armed forces heroes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Minister praises First World War heroes at reburial service MoD News 0
D Experts and Heroes Current Affairs 0
soleil Helensburgh Advertiser: "Real-Life Comic Book Heroes Mark Submarine Service's Birthday At Faslane Dinner" Submariners 0