Strategic Defence and Security Review 2015 Rumours

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by SuperNexus, May 27, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Okay Lads the queen confirmed today in her speech that there will be a Defence Review this year, so what do you guys think is going to be in it?
    • Like Like x 1
    • Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 1
  2. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

The Army will plead a case for Inf battalions and tanks, the RAF will plead for manned aircraft, and more of them, plus MMA of course and the Navy will argue for ships.

Meanwhile Rome will burn...
  3. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

The end of the 100 year experiment and the RAF disbanded and tasks shared between RN and Army!

RM to merge with Paras!

MoD Main Building to be closed and sold off at minimum profit to development companies with Tory MPs as Board Members!

Cyprus closed and SBAs sold to Russia!

Falklands handed over to Argentina as the oil deposits ate found to be nonprofitable!

The above may just be rumours! :cool:
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. Why stop there -- repeat the Canadian experiment and combine all services . It failed so it would be the ideal project to try out and produce plenty of heated media garbage .
  5. Good idea, merge for a couple of years, say it didnt work, and then say theres only enough money to split into two. Job Done, Biggles Gone!!!!

I can see the older C130J aircraft going.

6. Riiiiiight! ...... Whats a C130J????
  7. I'll Bite.

C-130 Hercules J Model, The RAF have 2 types long and short bodied, I can see one now looking out of my office window (short).
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Wasn't a bite ... was serious ... and I couldn't be bothered to Google it! Hercybird I can cope with ... wouldn't know if it was a C130, F16 or Spitfire Mk 9! ... But thank you kind sir!
    • Like Like x 1
  9. 12 hours in C130 = approximately 2 hours in Kenwood Chef.
  10. Worst hercybird flight I ever did was Lyneham to DG. It took 3 days with night stopovers in Cyprus and Bahrein.

Over 100 submariners in the back (1 boats 5th watch, Upholder spare crew plus FMB staff).

It was 3 days before I got my hearing back!!
  11. Guessing what happens in the SDSR is like the weeks leading up to the football transfer window. Loads of absolute shart which will be gloriously wide of the mark and then, come ten minutes to midnight, we'll spend a fuckload of money something nobody's ever heard of whilst selling all the fan favourites to a chorus of ranting.

Football and defence, both bollocks.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. wave_dodger

C-130J unlikely to go because it has SF capability we can't replicate even with A400M, at this time.

I tend to agree with Monty, I know 2 of the 4 'pitches', both are very divergent in their approaches and the political/fiscal scene is too fluid to really grasp what the politicians will opt for.
  13. does the RAF do that the RN or army doesnt do better?
  14. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Change crypto and say again
  15. How many and what warships will be cut this time?
  16. Cant see it being anything but a cut in everything under the disguise of managing the budget. now that Dave has met his 2% gdp for spending by including the peacekeeping budget from the OGD it all looks good for defence. Personally cut in type 26 orders and jsf will be suffice for the RN. The army standby and the RAF no more hotels o_O
  17. The Mk4's then :)
  18. wave_dodger

SK Mk4 - ok, they can take them ;-)
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Now that everyone has become used to the idea of reserves doing more, I could imagine that envelope being extended again. Following the recent change of conditions (people encouraged, but not compelled, to transfer from their original RFA 1996 conditions to some shiny new ones, whatever they're called) I've seen some slightly disturbing changes to the kind of thing people might be mobilised for, and the oft-rumoured plan to help man OPVs with reservists is still rumbling on.
  20. Don't mention the reserves - they're borne for jollies only.