Strangest Things witnessed seen at sea

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by CHALLIE2, Aug 26, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi everyone what is the strangest thing you have witnessed at sea
    would love to hear

• Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 1
  2. The Flight SMR bought a round.
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. In 1992 a cargo ship lost some plastic yellow toy ducks at sea.

Twenty nine thousand of them.

Apparently there's still many thousands of them bobbing
    about, occasionally washing up on distant shores around
    the globe. Never actually seen the huge raft of yellow duckies
    myself but it would've been interesting to have surfaced a
    submarine slap bang in the middle of them.

(One that got away from the herd)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Kite flying competition off Mekong Delta , crew made box kites of all sizes and the normal diamond shape. Mermaid was at anchor at the time so no breeze , skipper tutted and got us under way , most kites flying then dying .
    The Bish took his up to 02 deck tying kite string to guard rail and launched.......
    kite was still flying when we got back on station , God's work he claimed , bollocks said the stokers as his kite was kept up by the exhaust from fwrd funnel.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

A Portuguese Man o'War drifting into the midst of a 'hands to bathe' in the Sargasso Sea.

It was like watching a video in hyper fast rewind ;)
    • Funny Funny x 2
  6. A pusser keeping a sea watch.
    • Funny Funny x 3
  7. On HMS Brighton came up from boiler room after Middle watch somewhere in the north sea to see the upper deck and every guardrail covered in birds, thousands of them, crap all over, if space on the rail became vacant a bird would land on it, observed lots of them just falling into the sea. Bread locker empty, next morning fog lifted all gone crap every where.
  8. Borrow some bino's and scan the sky , nothing anywhere , someone ditches gash and shitehawks appear from nowhere ......must have a scout up there and soon as Jack ditches gash he/she bangs the dinner gong.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. When I was a skimmer, I vaguely recall seeing some WAFUs not only at sea, but working. Amazing sight.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. They were not REAL WAFUs just some extras for an RN recruiting film
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Braindead Braindead x 1
  11. I always thought the legendary "green flash" was something akin to the golden rivet. Whenever I had the chance to watch the sun set over the sea, I looked for the elusive colour but never saw it.
    Then one earlyish morning on a ferry to Pompey from the Island I glanced at the horizon and saw a definite bright green light. I thought at first it was a deck working light of some sort on a ship near the Nab tower; then it changed to gold and I had to blink as the sun heaved up.
    So not a golden rivet!
  12. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Slim sitting his AIB, Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion, Norman promoted to Lieutenant Commander; I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate... All those moments will be lost, in time, like tears in rain. Time for Standeasy...
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Ah PT you really know how to kick a man when he is down. That AIB was a bastard, they expected me to know about ships & boats and all things nautical, I stunned them with my knowledge of clicky beds and the speed at which I disappeared when the words "Early Chop" were whispered in the next office. No a commission was never going to be offered to this wafu , I think part of it was when I threw up at the insinuation that I may have to go to sea. Personally I believe that I would have made a great land based Sub Lt in charge of Clicky beds and runs ashore on any shore establishment;)
  14. Slim, you forgot Flying meals and in flight nutty early chop for night flying, and then night flying cancelled.
  15. Summer fate at sea, for charity, firing 12bore shot gun of arsse end, someone had a shot gun in the armoury and was told it would be simpler not to have any cartridges to land in UK, targets plastic bottles on string.
    Cricket at sea on flight deck; ball on a bit of string
    Sods Opera
    Hands to bathe of Isle of Rosay sun may have been shinning but water was still kin cold, I was first in water, others waited and ask what’s it like, I was a bit vague with the truth?
    Northern Lights through a periscope
    Space craft launch through a Periscope of Ft Lauderdale
    First crossing the line ceremony
    Blue line North and South
  16. And I thought I was the only one to suffer delusions . ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Same with me, he was working on getting a Make and Mend, he did not care at sea or ashore, time off is time off?:)
  18. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

MOD Note: Thread moved to a more appropriate forum.
  19. Strangest Things witnessed seen at sea?

The amazing amount of ball gowns, female underwear that would appear mid deployment.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Especially with a boot neck boarding team on board
    • Like Like x 2