Strait of Hormuz & Iran

A country so wrapped up in a religious frenzy that they can organise squads of kids to clear minefields and can use suicide bombers as a weapon are capable of anything. To be fair, they aren't likely to beat american military might any other way, are they?

tommo

War Hero
Blobs there is an article on the BBC iirc stating the yanks have been thanked by the Iranians

Every turn of the shaft is a new adventure. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Levers_Aligned

War Hero
...you assume.
Have a look at that submarine, Stirling. Does it really, really exude the zenith of modern, subsurface technology? Passive arrays, comms, weapon systems, silent propulsion, sonar absorbent/anacoustic tiling, streamlined, noise-free hull?

I could put my ear into the ******* Solent and probably hear that twat coming out of Ali-al-akhbar naval base, even at low speed.

Their patrol craft are 1980s vintage. Their great, new surface threat missile is possibly already profiled and ready to be jammed.

Yeah, I don't assume. I'd put serious cash on it, unless they attack us on Christmas Leave.

Levers

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
From mind-numbing, seemingly endless Armilla deployments, the one memorable thing with regard the Arabian Gulf is that it's very shallow, to the extent it's very easy to see the seabed & indeed submarines with a Mark I eyeball.

MG Maniac

War Hero
Have a look at that submarine, Stirling. Does it really, really exude the zenith of modern, subsurface technology? Passive arrays, comms, weapon systems, silent propulsion, sonar absorbent/anacoustic tiling, streamlined, noise-free hull?

I could put my ear into the ******* Solent and probably hear that twat coming out of Ali-al-akhbar naval base, even at low speed.

Their patrol craft are 1980s vintage. Their great, new surface threat missile is possibly already profiled and ready to be jammed.

Yeah, I don't assume. I'd put serious cash on it, unless they attack us on Christmas Leave.

Levers
Ask the same question of the Skipper of the USS Cole! Attacked and damaged by Rag Heads in Aden ... and thats not even with a patrol craft!

The problem with the low tech 1980's gear is the lack of refinement or requirement of computer aided guidance ... more of light blue touch paper and retire to a safe distance while it goes on its own sweet merry way ... so if theres no interactive computer link .. whats there to jam? The only thing thats going to stop it is a well aimed burst from a gatling gun ... but if they are alongside or someone misses it inbound .... ooops!

Sorry but I don't subscribe to the "my bats bigger newer and posher than yours" ... they may have kits thats old, 2nd hand and held together with harry maskers or araldite ... but its still carrying something that can go bang and given the right circumstances can probably cause some real damage. Assumption is always the the mother of all fcuk-ups and theres no such thing as a safe bet!

I stand by my first comment ... I have the feeling that the area could turn very nasty! They may be rag heads but as the Yanks found with the VietCong .... nothing is a certanty!

broadside

War Hero
To be honest, they don't actually have to do anything to cause enormous headaches the world over. All they have to do is keep saying that they have the capability! A few dozen emply oil drums being tipped off the back of a tug in the Strait of Hormuz (under the watchful eye of a US satellite) would be enough to close the area down while they checked to see what the threat was. And the oil price would rocket!!!! IRG Navy plausible deniability, no justification for Uncle Sam to ride in a hootin' and a hollerin' just mega imbuggerance all round.

If you want my opinion, the cheapest option would be to dig another Strait halfway down the UAE emerging into the Arabian Sea halfway down Oman and just wide enough to get a tanker through it - simples.

Right, that's my contribution to Middle East peace negotiations - off for a lie down now.

I am surely not the only one thinking that the photo posted by TheRowan looks a little odd. Crew wearing clean whites on a DE boat? Have they actually been inside the casing?

I assume of course that it's a DE boat, unless of course they use an environmentally friendly Hunley "motor".

broadside

War Hero
I am surely not the only one thinking that the photo posted by TheRowan looks a little odd. Crew wearing clean whites on a DE boat? Have they actually been inside the casing?

I assume of course that it's a DE boat, unless of course they use an environmentally friendly Hunley "motor".[/QUOTE]

No, but I do think that their mums use Persil.

Now troops, I will be upfront, I know very little relative to the workings of the RN these days, but in the wake of the recent HMS Montrose involvement (good drills guys), the MOD said consideration being given sending more ships to the Region. Fine, but I was under the impression that the RN these days is pretty well stretched as it is, if not over stretched, what with canoes in refit etc, and an aging fleet..no more boxes to open at the mo?
I'm sure I will be enlightened?

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Now troops, I will be upfront, I know very little relative to the workings of the RN these days, but in the wake of the recent HMS Montrose involvement (good drills guys), the MOD said consideration being given sending more ships to the Region. Fine, but I was under the impression that the RN these days is pretty well stretched as it is, if not over stretched, what with canoes in refit etc, and an aging fleet..no more boxes to open at the mo?
I'm sure I will be enlightened?
RFAs?