Strait of Hormuz & Iran

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by DoubleDuff, Dec 28, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  2. Does Iran really think it can hold the rest of the world to ransom by throttling oil supplies?They might well find it is the straw which breaks the Camel's back.
  3. and the 5th could put most of Europe to shame lol.
  4. Even with the 5th Fleet, I think an engagement would be bad news. Iran has many small, fast missile boats, and inshore batteries too. Would not be pretty :(

But alas, Iran is on America's to do list along with Iraq, Syria, N.Korea, Libya...

5. Don't forget these nasty little buggers too...

6. Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  7. Little friggin Yono's

Every turn of the shaft is a new adventure. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. I'm guessing Iran got a cheap deal on turquoise paint at some point...
  9. Anyone seen Delboy recently?
  10. Or maybe Pusser. Wasn't Torbay painted light blue for a Gulf trip?
  11. she was and it didn't work out, turned out that she was more visible.
  12. jockpopeye

jockpopeye Badgeman Book Reviewer

INS Hanit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I suspect that this was most likely a test for such an eventuality. Hezbollah is funded, supplied, bankrolled etc by Iran. How many of these missiles would it take to create chaos in a narrow strait? Add in the small fast boats with a variety of armaments and those dinky little subs, which would most likely be used for laying mines rather than attacking ships.
    If the straits close even for a short time this would create uncertainty, financial panic ensues, price per barrel for oil rockets, price per litre for fuel shoots up, inflation incrreases, panic buying of petrol creates shortages etc etc.

The important things to remember are:
    1. If the principle part of your economy is exporting oil you can profit from conflict when the price of oil goes up
    2. You don't have to defeat the USA to win, just denying them the safe passage of the seas is a victory
    3. If you have a restless and very youthful population they can be distraceted by a nationalistic conflict with the global superpower bogey man
  13. Actually, as I recall, turuoise is the best colour for a boat operating where there is a predominately sandy bottom. Cast your mind back to when our two boats returned from Gulf War 1, when they were painted pal green and black tiger stripes.
  14. Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  15. 'We are not in the habit of warning more than once': Iran tells U.S. not to send aircraft carrier back to gulf after missile test | Mail Online

I know its in the Wail ...but is this the Septics being prudent and pulling the John C Stennis out of the Persian Gulf before some trigger happy rag head with his finger on the button of an anti-ship missile lets fly???

I do have an uneasy feeling that things are going to get somewhat messy out there shortly ... but if Iran try to shut the Straits of Hormuz its only going to give the Septics the opportunity they want to wade in and blat the lot

An interesting comment by Mitt Romney in the Iowa pre elections on the Radio this morning sounded something like getting "American EARTH" back on track! Does this mean that whilst thinking that they own the world ... its now part of thier election propganda????
  16. The latest satellite picture:

17. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

Lol. The state of their boats. Is anyone else here thinking 'Kings New Clothes' when it comes to the Iranians describing how potent they are to Dinnerjacket?

One of our T Class would wipe them off the face of the planet. If they get a lucky shot at a skimmer, it'll be good-*******-night for their armed forces.

18. assume.