Storing a car 4 - 6 months ?

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by Hermes_R12, Oct 13, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone offer an insight into the best way to store a vehicle for 4 -6 months.

I'm looking at putting it in a garage, hand break off, wheels wedged. Battery disconnected anything else I should do?

Many thanks in advance.

2. Insured for 'Fire & Theft' perhaps?

3. Yep that's a good point i'm fully comp at the moment. TPFT might save some money......

4. Get it up on axle stands if possible. Makes it harder to steal and stops the tires getting flat spots.

5. No point paying Road Tax so claim a refund at:

http://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/Ev...ramework.internal.refresh&pageid=Declare+SORN

<<When SORN has been declared for a vehicle the registered keeper must ensure that it will not be used or kept on a public road until a new licence has been taken out. The declaration will be valid for 12 months unless the vehicle is re-licensed, sold, permanently exported or scrapped>>

6. All good stuff many thanks Guys.....

7. Just for my information ermm education, why do you take the handbrake off and disconnect the battery?

What is wedging the wheels?

8. You leave the handbrake off to stop the brake shoes welding themseves to the drums, wedges to stop the car rolling away when the hand brake is off and battery if possible leave on charge with a trickle charger.

9. Oh, and don't forget to empty the boot of any bodies - otherwise they'll start collecting flies & chucking up after about 10 days or so.

Edited to add:

Lift all windscreen wiper blades clear of the glass or they will stick themselves to the surfaces.

10. Alternatively. dodge these issues completely by lending your car to a trusted friend/relative for 6 months.

11. Sell it and get another when you get back.

Lend it to a Trusted friend/ Family

If you do garage it, put it away dry. If its got a steel petrol tank fill it and be prepared to ditch the fuel and refill with new(stops the tank rusting, plastic, it dont matter. The "volatiles"will evaporate over time and could make it a bugger to start)

As said, on blocks/axal stands, brakes off etc

With the old bike used to take the plug out and top the cylinder up with oil but this may cause problems with the catalyser these days?

12. At the risk of sounding like a pedant, it might be worth telling your insurers exactly what the situation is ie that it will be left in a specific garage and unattended for several months and getting them to state in writing that your cover is unaffected.

I would hate to hear that you had come to collect it, found out that some miscreant had got in and damaged it and that your claim for the repairs had been rejected on the grounds that something in the small print stated that no claims would be accepted if a vehicle had been left unattended for a period of say, over 30 days.

By the way, what is it (roughly)?

Is it very nice?

If it's a bit of a boy racer/babe magnet car, I'm sure that various Rum Rationers will keep an eye on it for you .......... :lol:

13. I'l look after the car for you mate. Look after it nicely :)

14. Don't listen to him Hermes, he's a scouser.

He's just after your hubcaps 8O

15. Don't forget the stereo.........big sellers on the market here. Would give me a place to sleep while I'm waiting for the fuzz to stop looking for me

16. Got it all worked out I see...

17. Always.......... by the way, want your wallet back? Cards were declined :p

18. Ah was wondering where that went. You can drop it by my house on your way back from the job centre while I'm at work tommorrow. I'll leave the key under the doormat in case you can't get it through the letter box. :lol:

19. Also make sure you have clean/new oil in the donk. The Service recommendation for storing engines for extended periods was to drain the coolant and run the donk for about 2-3 minutes to dry out the galleries. Filling the exhaust system with corrosive condensation seemed a minor detail, though. That's a point; get the engine heated well through before you close it down for the last time. Dries as much moisture as you can from an expensive (probably) exhaust stack. Leave the car windows cracked open slightly to assist air circulation (garage or not) and to avoid milldew over your plastic and upholstery. StixJimboRM, did you mean garage or car; or both? Either way, both are recommended; from bitter experience.