STOP COMPLAINING

Brains

Lantern Swinger
I completely agree that golf is AT (not that I play), but would be concerned for the safety of any naval personnel embarking on this dangerous activity.

People should only be allowed to take part once the correct Risk Assessment has been filed, noting of course the hazards posed by the uneven ground where bunkers suddenly appear, the risk of twisted ankles on the green if you catch your foot in the hole and the dire consequences of being hit in the face or head by a golf ball. And then there's the possibility of snakes in the rough.

Provided the risk assessment is properly completed I would be happy to see my oppos out there playing golf, provided with the correct safety equipment of course:
Goggles to protect their eyes from tees and balls
Hard hats to protect the head from incoming golf balls
High-leg boots to avoid twisted ankles
Yellow 'turning' circles to place around the tee marking the area of swing
Protective gloves to avoid nasty blisters
etc.

An Admiralty Driving Permit would, of course, be required for golf buggies as when carrying personnel they would have to be classed as 'Service Vehicles'.

Having said that I'd be happy to see my oppos out there playing golf, provided with the correct safety equipment, if they actually were kitted out like this I'd be more than happy...it would be f'ing hilarious. It is only a matter of time though :p

dubaipusser

Lantern Swinger
mad_muppet said:
Ease to 5, Shippers!

AT and sport is a big thing in the armed forces, RN included – just look at the number of articles on sport at the back of the Navy News. Also try to get in touch with your PSI between the hours of 1000 and 1430! As for golf not being a team sport, just wait a week or so for the Ryder Cup!
Don't be a tw*t - Ryder Cup or no Ryder Cup Golf is not a team sport - just a bunch of individuals playing Golf whose scores and finishing positions get hauled together to give an overall 'team result' but at the end of the day, they play against their opponent (alone!)

AT and sport are a big thing in the armed forces and so they should be but to class Golf as AT is a mockery.

WarMonger

War Hero
dubaipusser said:
mad_muppet said:
Ease to 5, Shippers!

AT and sport is a big thing in the armed forces, RN included – just look at the number of articles on sport at the back of the Navy News. Also try to get in touch with your PSI between the hours of 1000 and 1430! As for golf not being a team sport, just wait a week or so for the Ryder Cup!
Don't be a tw*t - Ryder Cup or no Ryder Cup Golf is not a team sport - just a bunch of individuals playing Golf whose scores and finishing positions get hauled together to give an overall 'team result' but at the end of the day, they play against their opponent (alone!)

AT and sport are a big thing in the armed forces and so they should be but to class Golf as AT is a mockery.

Well said...DP..!!

Lets start associations for the following sports...
Pool/Snooker/Darts/Skittles/Ten Pin Bowling etc...could we then all put our hands into the AT training budget....we could go down the local pub and get paid for it great....excuse my sarcasm...but are these sports any less relevant to naval life than golf......No I dont think so but I would imagine a degree of resistance from the powers to be to agree such payments...Would I be pushing it to far if I suggested that it is more acceptable to get paid for it as Im sure golf is far more acceptable to the hierachy than other such sports on the basis of the type of people that play it...i.e the more senior among us in both age and rank!!!....maybe if we got a high ranking officer to be the president of of darts team we would gain more acceptability.... :twisted: :twisted: