STOP COMPLAINING

President is The RNR Flagship i gather (stands by with keep net ) , anyone for a round of golf perhaps we can organise a society day , we can use both of the Jaguars that are Presidents staff cars, i think the rollers are beimng serviced, still the duty caddies will help

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
MasterChief said:
President is The RNR Flagship i gather (stands by to act as the perfect host and get everyone a wet) , anyone for a round of golf perhaps we can organise a society day , we can use both of the Jaguars that are Presidents staff cars, i think the rollers are beimng serviced, still the duty caddies will help
Not to worry MasterChief, Given President's exalted reputation, I'm sure that Pusser will oblige with a war-canoe to be moored at St Katherine's Basin for the transportation of all participants to the nearest decent links :)

flag wagger what an excellent idea, can we get ratings and officers from other units to act as stewards. After all one should look after the biggest and best flagship unit

mad_muppet

Badgeman
Guys

Re: Golf

On a slightly more serious note, there is already an RNR Golf Championship held annually. It is usually held around May. Teams from RUs enter and th ewinning team has the honour of hosting it the following year.

I think Foward won last year when it was held at the China Fleet Club. Look out for Calling Notices.

M_M

beer_bosun

Lantern Swinger
MasterChief said:
President is The RNR Flagship i gather (stands by with keep net ) , anyone for a round of golf perhaps we can organise a society day , we can use both of the Jaguars that are Presidents staff cars, i think the rollers are beimng serviced, still the duty caddies will help
Now i know i haven't been around for a while but the last time I was there it was Range Rover Vogues with darkened windows and personalised plates... Damn cut backs - jaguars indeed - the shame!!

beer_bosun

Lantern Swinger
mad_muppet said:
Guys

Re: Golf

On a slightly more serious note, there is already an RNR Golf Championship held annually. It is usually held around May. Teams from RUs enter and th ewinning team has the honour of hosting it the following year.

I think Foward won last year when it was held at the China Fleet Club. Look out for Calling Notices.

M_M
I would like to go one day but I worry it could be an officer heavy thing - is that usual?

I'm not being anti-officer here but would like to know what percentage of junior ratings go to this.

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
beer_bosun said:
mad_muppet said:
On a slightly more serious note, there is already an RNR Golf Championship held annually....
I would like to go one day but I worry it could be an officer heavy thing - is that usual?

I'm not being anti-officer here but would like to know what percentage of junior ratings go to this.
I'd worry more about us relics from the Senior Rates Mess - I appear to be in the minority of Senior Rates that doesn't own a set of clubs (and then I move to Canada where the world and his brother spend summer on the golf course! :) )

I am sure there are Junior Rates ate the golf tournament, who else would caddy otherwise :lol:

I think we should all go along , makes me think of Caddyshack

mad_muppet

Badgeman
B_B

The golf championship is a real leveller with representation from all ranks and rates, from an ex-RNR Commodore to New Entries. I suppose the age profile reflects the ages of people who play golf generally so do tend to be over 30s.

There are also a number of ex-RNR who enter so it is an excellent day that will attract AT pay, depending on the generosity of individual RUs! Lots of sponsorship and prizes so most peope come away with something.

M_M

dubaipusser

Lantern Swinger
mad_muppet said:
B_B

The golf championship is a real leveller with representation from all ranks and rates, from an ex-RNR Commodore to New Entries. I suppose the age profile reflects the ages of people who play golf generally so do tend to be over 30s.

There are also a number of ex-RNR who enter so it is an excellent day that will attract AT pay, depending on the generosity of individual RUs! Lots of sponsorship and prizes so most peope come away with something.

M_M
AT pay for playing Golf!!!!!!!!! You're having a grin! Golf isn't even a team sport so you can't even squeeze in a 'team-building' rationale.

WarMonger

War Hero
mad_muppet said:
B_B

M_M
AT pay for playing Golf!!!!!!!!! You're having a grin! Golf isn't even a team sport so you can't even squeeze in a 'team-building' rationale.[/quote]

I'd be a bit stronger than that I'd say taking the piss.!!

Another waste of the budget for the select few..!!

Can you explain to me how...GOLF is A (Adventurous) unless you spend alot of time in bunkers..desert survival might come in handy!!

T (Training)....Training for what exactly..are we ever likely to be deployed with a 7 Iron rather than a SA80....are golf buggies part of some special RNR mechanised infantry!!

Can you tell me what team building experience you gain from it other than a team effort to carry the trays of G &T's from the clubhouse fro the piss up after..!!!

Sorry to be cynical but in this day and age when budgets are as tight as a gnats chuff..this is a luxury that whilst the RNR might make a contribution to the cost you shouldnt be getting paid for it...!!!

I must have a word with the Staff Officer and see if I could get a budget to get paid for paintballing....Oh I wont bother.....I can see the flag hoist already...FOXTROT OSCAR..!!!

RANT OVER!

fishmiester

Banned
dubaipusser said:
AT pay for playing Golf!!!!!!!!! You're having a grin! Golf isn't even a team sport so you can't even squeeze in a 'team-building' rationale.
You can on the 19th :wink:

Shakey

War Hero
AT pay for golf? Ridiculous. What next, RNR topless Darts?

(Which would be at Roehampton, naturally)

bunnyjumper

Lantern Swinger
Shakey said:
AT pay for golf? Ridiculous. What next, RNR topless Darts?

(Which would be at Roehampton, naturally)
That'd be better for morale though - and it'd appeal to a greater proportion of the RNR. I mean, isn't golf that game that you play when you want to lick the bosses arse for a promotion!!! :lol:

mad_muppet

Badgeman
Ease to 5, Shippers!

AT and sport is a big thing in the armed forces, RN included – just look at the number of articles on sport at the back of the Navy News. Also try to get in touch with your PSI between the hours of 1000 and 1430! As for golf not being a team sport, just wait a week or so for the Ryder Cup!

Back in the golden days of MCM10 and the Tons and MCFs, your fortnight of beasting from squadron staff was made bearable by the thought of your run ashore in the likes of Lisbon (Texas Bar, Liverpool Bar, Europa Bar etc!). Nowadays in the RNR, we seem to have lost sight of the need for a bit of R & R or do some of you people think that we should just have weekend training with “ON ME!†and the likes of the recently departed Cdr Mundane yelling at us? How many of us have been on exercises such as Neptune Warrior (JMC) and turned up for the briefings and then left two weeks later with no down time whatsoever?

Most of us have paid leave with our civvy jobs that probably equates to about one paid day off in ten, during the course of a year. We don’t get any with the RNR yet regularly put in 50-60 training days a year, not including the unpaid time we give to the RNR. I don’t feel guilty at all about having one day’s AT having put in that amount of time.

All sorts of activities attract AT pay - It’s a Knockout at Cambria, RN Skiing Championships, Football Weekends at Eaglet, Expeds, Sailex’s around the Canaries etc. And so they all should! Just because golf attracts the more mature person (aka old bastard) don’t knock it! And it’s never helped my civvy job prospects, but maybe that’s just because I’m not that good.

M_M

WarMonger

War Hero
By and large though many of those events have an element however small that is relevant to naval life/training..sailex's (seamanship/nav)...Football (team building/fitness).

When having a jolly at the end of ORT that is different you would be paid for it whether your were there or not...so thats not an argument and no one would argue with a good run after a fortnight...however a run ashore is not a given and should not be expected..if it happens its a bonus not a right!!