STOP COMPLAINING

noemis

Lantern Swinger
Was I dripping about Lebanon? Or was I trying to get an opinion from others on when and how we get used? I was GSSR biased, but I'm GSSR! RR is for us to drip on because it's unofficial, it's fun too, so don't take it too seriously!

Wonder if they'll call us up to taste baby milk at Nottingham East Midland Airport? I'll volunteer for that one if it's...

BeerBad said:
trehorn said:
Well at least it got you al talking!!!

Complete this sentence;

i joined the RNR because... stupid TA [email protected] sleep in ditches and have to dig their own latrines

Or if you'd prefer;

I stay in the RNR because...I get a bunk and warm scran unlike stupid TA [email protected] :lol:
You shouldn't take the mickey, its not nice!

However saying that, my nephew - a very smart army cadet, has expressed an interest in joining the Army. I naturally tried to persuade him to join the senior service - go to war in a nice comfortable environment, with your duvet, DVDs, a proper table to eat from etc etc. And the little mite said to me

"but Aunty, I live living in a hole"

Really there is no teaching youngsters these days!

trehorn

War Hero
noemis said:
Was I dripping about Lebanon? Or was I trying to get an opinion from others on when and how we get used? I was GSSR biased, but I'm GSSR! RR is for us to drip on because it's unofficial, it's fun too, so don't take it too seriously!

Wonder if they'll call us up to taste baby milk at Nottingham East Midland Airport? I'll volunteer for that one if it's...
And you dont think that was a bit of a daft question? To most people it was perfectly obvious why SPO teams didnt get called up - they didnt need us! Have you any idea how much it would cost to call people up at such short notice for such a short time to do a job that the RN is perfectly capable of doing.

Lets see;
Compensation to employer
Making up peoples pay so that people don't loose money when called up.
Kitting up reservist for the trip.
Flying them out to join in the fun.
Flying them back after the fun.
etc etc etc.

I'm GSSR too, and very proud of it. we're finally being trained to something close to RN standards to do a job that is actually needed. As much as i loved fleetwork the rest of the comms training was nothing like the real thing - and we soon found that out when we went to sea.

I'm ready - even reletively happy to be called up - if required! I would not be particularly happy to be called up just to see if we can actually do the job, and i'm sure i'm not the only one.

RR is great. its good to discuss topics etc things that crop up in RNR cricles BUT (and theres always a but) AT TIMES we do sound like a load of winging old fannies who jst come on here to gripe and bitch. Read some of the other forums and you'll see what i mean. I'm not saying don't gripe just lets show a bit of common sense about it.

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
Having been RNR for 5 years before I joined up - ah the days of MCM10 and a private Navy, CTPs in every shoddy port, cables' humming like Neil Diamonds guitar......Arrghh

Then I joined up and discovered a world of difference. I think its unfair to expect a Reservist to be as capable as a regular and while I know I am about to be flamed big time, see the 'R' as good self-defence for a fair proportion of the Reserves, easily 75%.

I work/have worked with some exceptionally good Reservists and some very very bad one's (who spookily keep popping up as FTRS - more about that in a mo). I accept that I have also worked with some very good and very bad Regulars too!

My issue is I'd always laboured under the old assumption that Reserves were there to augment the RN in a crisis and would relieve them particulalry in the UK in order that regulars could go to war/crisis. Now we we seem to make use of Reservists and particulalry FTRS to fill every gap imaginable - something like 720 on FTRS at the moment - including a huge number of front line operational posts.

Smacks of exceptionally poor man management on the part of the RN.

Anyway,whilst I'm meandering along, my point was that I can see why Reservists complain. I think the training is unrealistic, the professional medal-gathering (and there are some that are very adept at cherry picking) FTRS are being 'used' to manage a capability gap, because the RN cannot recruit and retain the right people. We use some reservists here (very hot today), some are well prepared and good, others I feel so sorry for they are wondering why they took the FTRS posts when they attract friendly fire from within the 'R' helps.

The RNR is a great idea and I like the way its changing, I'm hoping that the new ComMarRes structure makes it even better and the management become more proactive - DNRes as it was needed a change of focus.

trehorn

War Hero
WARNING - INCOMMING CRITISISM (AND A HUGE DOLLOP OF HUMBLE PIE.)

We were recruiting in Hull last weekend with our (sorry, i meant the AFCO's) little tent, as were the Marines. We had a couple of tables and chairs and a few leaflets and key rings to hand out. The marines had no chairs or tables and even less leaflets to give out.

It looked a little poor when we were sited next to the TA's climbing wall and paintball stand. And the kiddies looked at us daft when we offered them a biro and a key ring - especially when they were already wearing TA baseball caps and T Shirts!!

The RN and RNR really need to put a bit more effort into recruitment and spend the money to get the little cherubs in.

Any ideas?

imom1406

War Hero
I've been out for 18 years and i still moan and use some of the same terminology as i did in my days before the mast...much to the complete confusion of those around me!

But it is a useful skill and the Navy turned it into an artform...no-one can complain as poetically as a matelot!

mazza_magoo

Lantern Swinger
trehorn said:
WARNING - INCOMMING CRITISISM (AND A HUGE DOLLOP OF HUMBLE PIE.)

We were recruiting in Hull last weekend with our (sorry, i meant the AFCO's) little tent, as were the Marines. We had a couple of tables and chairs and a few leaflets and key rings to hand out. The marines had no chairs or tables and even less leaflets to give out.

Any ideas?
Trehorn,
If you guys are giving away tables and chairs at your recruiting events, it's hardly surprising the navy wont give us any money for recruiting! what a terrible waste of public funds..... :lol: :wink:

trehorn

War Hero
We were invaded by peace protestors this weekend.

While happily chatting to a chap about the joys of being in the RNR i heard a very loud scream behind me. When i turned around to see if there was someone who needed help i saw three girls and one lad, all aged about 16/17 laid out on the floor "playing dead". They were accompanied by an elderly woman in an anorak and a geeky looking chap who were shouting protests about our recruitment campaign and handing out leaflets.

A woman asked them what they were protesting about and was told by the geek that they were protesting about us recruiting people in a bid to keep conflicts going. Despite being reminded of the role that british forces had just played in Lebanon, Bosnia, Somalia etc we were murders.

Luckily they got more people haranging them than supporting them. Men and women were calling them all sorts of names and shaking our hands, and even the protestors thought it was ammusing when i asked the "dead" ones if they wanted to join the RNR and started sticking stickers on them.

Unfortunatley we spent the rest of the day directing people around the red paint thrown all over the pavement to simulate blood.

Another day in paradise!

trehorn said:

While happily chatting to a chap about the joys of being in the RNR i heard a very loud scream behind me. When i turned around to see if there was someone who needed help i saw three girls and one lad, all aged about 16/17 laid out on the floor "playing dead". They were accompanied by an elderly woman in an anorak and a geeky looking chap who were shouting protests about our recruitment campaign and handing out leaflets.

A woman asked them what they were protesting about and was told by the geek that they were protesting about us recruiting people in a bid to keep conflicts going. Despite being reminded of the role that british forces had just played in Lebanon, Bosnia, Somalia etc we were murders.

Luckily they got more people haranging them than supporting them. Men and women were calling them all sorts of names and shaking our hands, and even the protestors thought it was ammusing when i asked the "dead" ones if they wanted to join the RNR and started sticking stickers on them.

Unfortunatley we spent the rest of the day directing people around the red paint thrown all over the pavement to simulate blood.

Another day in paradise!
I may not believe in what you are saying but I would fight to the death to allow you free speech (or something like that!!).

I love this country ... it sounds like you behaved admirably in the circumstances, well done for not flashing! But what about that bloke outside parliament - didn't HMG enact a whole new statute with the specific intention of getting him and his placards removed, and then when it went to court, the Act was found not to be retrospective! Sometimes the judiciary really can get it right.

imom1406

War Hero
rosinacarley said:
trehorn said:

Another day in paradise!
I may not believe in what you are saying but I would fight to the death to allow you free speech (or something like that!!).

I love this country ... it sounds like you behaved admirably in the circumstances, well done for not flashing! But what about that bloke outside parliament - didn't HMG enact a whole new statute with the specific intention of getting him and his placards removed, and then when it went to court, the Act was found not to be retrospective! Sometimes the judiciary really can get it right.
I don't mind loonies of all sorts having freedom of speech and saying the unsayable, for one thing it shows them up for what they are. The thing that scares the living crap out of me, is the way the current government is stifling debate and protest against it's policies in all areas....the man in Parliament Square is a perfect example. Sadly all this censorship does is create underground factions and single issue grouops who then believe that there is no legal way to achieve theior aims.

These are the freedoms countless service men and women have fought and died for.....and sadly Tony seems to be pissing it all away!

James_B

Badgeman
trehorn said:

Another day in paradise!
How many out of ten would you give York (and Hull) for general comedy recruiting experience/a grand day out? Did the boss turn up and see all the action? See you on Thursday.

beer_bosun

Lantern Swinger
MasterChief said:
still near that bunker . where is my sand wedge
Thought you were a footballer MasterChief? Didn't realise you were into golf as well - perhaps we should get a round in sometime/

Latest Threads