Stolen Falklands Plaque

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by blind662, Jun 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Recognised this straight away. Just posted a reply over on arrse. This is from the Falklands Memorial on Plymouth Hoe. Have a look here and scroll down to the bottom of the page.

Disrespectful, thieving bastards!
  2. cheers harry , :thumright:
  3. Words fail me!
  4. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Me too, almost! The words thieving ignorant bastards seem to slip easily off the tongue though!
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It does look like the one from Guzz, but (as posted on ARRSE) I'm wondering whether it's been replaced with a shiny new one & the original, instead of being either destroyed or placed elsewhere, has been dumped in error?

Maybe I'm being niave...
  6. Have to admit, it's a plausible explanation.
  7. I think that memorial plate has been made as a spare and not used

the piccy on Arrse doesn't show any fixing methods whereas the actual one is throughbolted to the stone memorial plinth .
    Could be the engraver made a spare one --just incase the stone mason made a FU ------------or the found one has a few defects so a second one was made.

:nemo: :nemo:
  8. Hi Greenie the one I've got has four bolts welded to the back of it ,and it looks like some type of two part glue all over them to fill the holes in the memorial
  9. Taken from the following link.

Falklands War Memorial, Plymouth Devon

The memorial on Plymouth Hoe is the only public monument in the area which lists the names of all the maritime personnel who died in the South Atlantic Falklands War in 1982. But the original workmanship proved unable to withstand the harsh West Country winters and the old engraved plates needed to be removed and replaced.

War Memorials Trust gave £150.00 towards the cost of producing new plates, engraving them to a greater depth than the originals and then applying an enamelling process to the lettering and graphics.
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Thanks AL, it looks like nothing sinister was afoot after all.
  11. I'd love to know how it ended up on a rubbish tip in Chelson Meadow though!
  12. Thanks to everyone for all of your help and support ,Iknew I would get a answer from here or Arrse, now as a final question what the feck should I do with It now ,though Im in contact with a guy from SAMA in Exeter and waiting a reply from him , was thinking of a on line auction /Ebay and ALL proceeds going to SAMA ,what do you lot think ?
    Thanks again Andy :wink: :wink:
  13. Ive had a look at the picture of the memorial on the War Memorials Trust website and if you zoom in the plaque on the picture looks similar to the one I have with no obvious fixing points but the colour ,may be its the picture , so hopefully nothing untoward has taken place
  14. I think auctioning it for SAMA is a great idea but I would try and establish ownership first. If it has been ditched then I would think that you, as the finder, would have a pretty strong claim. Not sure who would be responsible for the upkeep of the memorial but would think that the City Council should be the first port of call. If it is not their responsibility they should be able to point you in the right direction. Tell whoever is responsible of your plans for an auction, if the plaque is no longer required then there should be no objections to selling it off for such a relevant cause.

Good luck with it and keep us updated.
  15. Time for a sit rep receved this email from the war memorials trust today

Further to our earlier correspondence, I have now heard back from the organisation which arranged the restoration of the Plymouth Hoe War Memorial. One of their members has checked the memorial and it is still intact. I can only therefore conclude, as you have suggested, that the plaque you have found is a copy of the one used on the restored memorial and was discarded because it was surplus to requirements.

We have never had this situation before and I am not sure what you wish to do with the plaque you have found. However, as far as the Trust is concerned the plaque you have is not technically a war memorial because it has not been dedicated as such. I would, therefore, assume that you are free to do with the plaque what you wish, but if you do have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

Ive spoken to a Exbooty mate of mine who was down south in 82 and asked him what he would like to happen to it ,and he thinks it should go in the mess in stonehouse ,hes having a word with a few others and will get back to me