Stokers

WD40 how about swarf
You mean swarfega (banned along with Trichs and every other thing that actually worked), swarf is the nasty stuff that comes off metal when you drill it or turn it down on a lathe and slashes your hands to ribbons.

For Stirl, how about Houghtosafe, or was that just on boats?

Moving on to greases....ZX 13, luverly stuff ;)

This is a WW2 submariners cuff badge
WW2? I don't know your source for the date of that gem Chopper that but it's sooo wrong, try circa 1958.

By that time whoever designed that [hugely unpopular 'cocktail sausage on a stick'] badge would have been aware that the optimum form for future S/M hull shapes had evolved through the USS Albacore programme and other trials

USS Nautilus was operational and our own HMS Dreadnought was shaping up nicely so a sudden rush of sh1t to his brain resulted in 'a good idea at the time' not.

You mean swarfega (banned along with Trichs and every other thing that actually worked), swarf is the nasty stuff that comes off metal when you drill it or turn it down on a lathe and slashes your hands to ribbons.

Have been wracking my brain to try to remember the hydraulic oil we used (stabilisers) but no , the Tecamalit Pps were used under a small header tank , 'bout the size of a 5lt paint tin , above the stabs.
Grease ? , Shell Alvania for Pp drive shaft cooling glands....waterproof.

Last edited:

if I could have spelt swarfega I would have done. Heard a dit a long time ago, that 2 stokers found that swarfs thinned down made a sodding good cleaner that they could spray, unfortunately the spray mist was not good for their breathing?
that helped to get it banded.

Last edited:
but what would he be doing on the victory?
@Sumo, being a west country rating you might not know that the ships Co*. of the Royal Naval Barracks, Portsmouth, wore HMS Victory cap tallies (during peacetime) since the place opened in 1903.

[Although most of them would never step aboard Admiral Lord Nelson's flagship they obviously had a ready made string of HMS Victory dits for innocent civilians in alehouses ashore.]

When the RN Barracks was renamed HMS Nelson on 1 Aug 1974, 'Vicky Barracks' then became known as 'Nellie Barracks'.

*Those at RNB for accommodation only wore the cap tally of their parent ship or establishment.

@Sumo, being a west country rating you might not know that the ships Co*. of the Royal Naval Barracks, Portsmouth, wore HMS Victory cap tallies (during peacetime) since the place opened in 1903.

[Although most of them would never step aboard Admiral Lord Nelson's flagship they obviously had a ready made string of HMS Victory dits for innocent civilians in alehouses ashore.]

When the RN Barracks was renamed HMS Nelson on 1 Aug 1974, 'Vicky Barracks' then became known as 'Nellie Barracks'.

*Those at RNB for accommodation only wore the cap tally of their parent ship or establishment.
Yep , I was a Barrack Stanchion with Viccy cap tallie 1970.

on

only being a sprog I joined Sept 74, after the grad became a Guzz rating, in that case it's @WreckerL dad

Last edited: