Stokers to smell like fish 'n' chips.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Blapto, May 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. "but it might still be necessary to scoop out build-ups of microbial sludge to prevent it damaging the engines. "

A wonderful incentive for the average stoker to stay off Chiefies shit list!

2. We could always pull down some houses to release more land to agriculture. That should reinvigorate the property market at the same time, thus alleviating the latest artificial concern of the City and Government.

So what's a loss of "around five per cent of its top speed and 13 per cent of its endurance" to a warship!
  3. It always amazed me that they had to run the "paraffin parrot" on avcat which the Wafu's told me was akin to rocket fuel and apparently went up very easily yet the ship using the same sort of technology ( aircraft derived jet engines i.e. olympus, tynes etc) all ran on derv or was it kerosene which I suppose is closer to Avcat?
  4. Avcat is closer to kerosene than rocket fuel. Lets face it ships are using very similar engines to aircraft and have been for more than 25 years.
    Olympus gas turbines ring any bells?
  5. Which poses the question if it's like kerosene which I alsways thought was another name for paraffin how the hell are they going to get them to run on derv??? Good job I'm not a mechanic!
  6. DIESO, F76 that ships burn;

AVCAT, F44 that Naval aircraft burn;

AVTUR, F34 that non Naval aircraft burn;

As you will see, AVCAT has a higher flashpoint than AVTUR, so is less of a fire hazard in ships. Naval gas turbines are set up to burn DIESO so a common fuel can be used for diesel engines and gas turbines.

The eventual DEFSTAN for Naval bio fuel will be most interesting.
  7. Now in the days of AVGAS, that was a fuel to be extremely wary of.
  8. Not to mention AVPIN :threaten:
  9. According to the standards (4.2)no vegetable oils permited only petrolium distilates.

So unless they change the standards thats that :dwarf:
  10. The aircraft fuels used in gas turbines was in order of volativity AVCAT (carrier use), AVTUR (General purpose fuel) and AVTAG as very broad cut fuel, used by our cousins (JP4) and very dangerous. On 845 Nas on exercise at Terendak the Greenies filled a Wessex V with AVGAS, when started the exhaust flames were about 10m long. No damage was done but a lot of people had a near crack up. I was told later by the RR rep that different fuelssuch as DIESO required the equivalent of the slow running jet to correctly set thus the above aircraft were set to AVCAT and found the AVGAS to much to handle.
  11. Avgas was also known to have sank one Aircraft Carrier, can`t remember the name of it, it is well documented somewhere. When we carried it on Eagle and fuelled up with it, it was No Smoking throughout the ship. Which was supposed to have been the cause of the above sinking.
  12. A diesel car will run perfectly well on Avcat, allegedly :thumright:
  13. Indomitable aircraft carrier, petrol vapour ignited by cigarette below island in hangar deck, explosion. Ten gallantry medals including two George Medals awarded for rescue operations. More men died of injuries in succeeding days
  14. Slim did not mention avpin but this is the low down, avpin (NATO code) = aviation/iso propel nitrate, a fuel used to start Wessex Mk1 Naipier Gazzell engines, IPN was a mono fuel, which meant it would burn without oxygen(difficult to put out) Its flash point was about the same as Avgas (aviation gasoline) so if treated with the same respect should pose no problem. We used it every day for years and are still around to tell the tale. I also know the excact spot where hundreds of litres of avpin were burried in the jungles of British Guiana.