Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stokers/Submariner history

IlikeB33r

Lantern Swinger
My class have our end of course presentation soon, would anyone be able to provide me any factual information or provide sources where I can draw information from.

Anything on submariner stokers, or stokers in general?

Cheers shippers.

IlikeB33r

Lantern Swinger
Well, you can call me boring, but just for a wheze, I Googled 'submarine stokers in ww2'

guess what............

Believe it or not.. We've been doing that as well. But as a given this site is full of people in the mob and ex mob so I thought I'd ask the question.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
One of the great tragedies (pre WW2) was the loss of HMS Thetis (below). Only three men survived. Last man out was Leading Stoker Arnold:

This is about one of the most factually accurate books, I believe:
HMS Thetis

Another good one to look into is the sinking of HMS Artemis, alongside at HMS Dolphin (1956) whilst preparing to take-on fuel.

IlikeB33r

Lantern Swinger
Is there something specific you're looking for...?

Most WW2 era!

One of the great tragedies (pre WW2) was the loss of HMS Thetis (below). Only three men survived. Last man out was Leading Stoker Arnold:

This is about one of the most factually accurate books, I believe:
HMS Thetis

Another good one to look into is the sinking of HMS Artemis, alongside at HMS Dolphin (1956) whilst preparing to take-on fuel.

That's great! Thanks for that Ninja, definitely going to be included.

The duty chief Dave Guest & GM if you please* on board Artemis lives in my Village.Nice Man.

*GM citation here - https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/45793/supplement/11631

One of the very few pieces of good news arising from that incident.

(Another of those few good things was the generosity of the Boat's S/Rs as they invited the Dolphin VM S/Rs small coterie to help them to drink their way through their ARTEMIS Mess Funds. With Dave generally presiding 'twas churlish to refuse such generosity, hic. )

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Mechanical Technician (ideal for stokers) 30-33k London The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
N Stokers Diamond Lil's 66
dsgrnmcm T22 stokers The Quarterdeck 6
S Stokers beware. Diamond Lil's 9
T PO Stokers Btanch Badge The Quarterdeck 2
The_Jimmy Stokers Diamond Lil's 17
sgtpepperband Ganges Sex Religion Stokers Diamond Lil's 53
T Stokers.............. Diamond Lil's 65
B Stokers to smell like fish 'n' chips. Current Affairs 14
B Wren stokers The Fleet 46
bigbaddog A Stokers Story History 7
H Any Stokers about to leave the mob, or not long left PM me The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 12
A Stokers? At home?......... The Quarterdeck 2
C killick stokers The Quarterdeck 8
A What do Stokers wear under their blue overalls? Diamond Lil's 63
S Stokers website The Gash Barge 6
Lawro87 what's the current situation regarding stokers? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 22
A MA branch (submariner) Submariners 7
R CIS Submariner Phase 2 & Sub Training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
R Logistics officer submariner questions Joining the Royal Navy 1
M Medical Assistant (Submariner) Quals Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 34
L Submariner questions Submariners 58
N Submariner Sea Time? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
4 Any tips for getting in the right frame of mind as a submariner? Joining the Royal Navy 19
X Eyesight requirements for submariner Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
H Joining as a marine engineer (submariner) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
C Weapons engineer Officer application (submariner) Joining the Royal Navy 1
soleil FB: RNRMC - Happy 100th Birthday Harry Melling - Britain's Oldest WW2 Submariner Submariners 2
H Basic training rent, submariner rent in faslane Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
soleil LadBible: "Former Navy Submariner Shares Coping Strategies For Self-Isolation And Social Distancing" Submariners 3
L Advice on whether or not to join as a submariner Joining the Royal Navy 14
soleil NWE Mail: "Submariner Memorial Appeal - Competition To Celebrate The RN Launched By BAE In Barrow" Submariners 7
soleil i News: "'You’re Only Ever 15 minutes Away From Launching A Missile': What It Was Like To Be A Cold War Submariner" Submariners 27
soleil FB: RN Recruitment - An Insight Into The Medical Assistant (Submariner) Role Submariners 0
soleil Refinery 29: "Money Diary - A Submariner On £43k In Her Last Week On Shore For Months" Submariners 17
J Weapons Engineering Officer (submariner) Joining the Royal Navy 2
I MA - GS OR Submariner ?? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
S NSMBOS / EMPLOYABILITY Submariner Health & Fitness 2
C Submariner Wet and Dry Training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
R Submariner medical assistant training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
P Submariner time at sea Submariners 8
Ninja_Stoker ACCELERATED APPRENTICE SCHEME – MARINE, WEAPONS, AIR AND SUBMARINER ENGINEERS - 2018 UPDATE Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 30
P Submariner Nuclear Retention Pay Submariners 16
G warfare submariner Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Antonio555 How much will i really earn? CIS submariner Joining the Royal Navy 8
soleil Telegraph: "Commander Ken Frewer, Submariner – Obituary" Submariners 1
B Writer submariner Joining the Royal Navy 8
S Submariner, Sonar Joining the Royal Navy 37
P What happens when a submariner asks the internet to pay for his wedding? Diamond Lil's 10
A Help Tracing a Submariner Submariners 8