Stoker training?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by waveyourflag, Jul 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. do they expect you to know much about marine engineering at gosport, or do you start from scratch?
  2. You start from scratch but any engineering knowledge will help you.

Just out of interest, are you going to put a query on this forum for every branch in the RN or are you ever going to go into an AFCO and actually talk to someone?
  3. Haaaaa! I didn't even realise who posted this till I read wreckers post :lol:
  4. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Waveyourflag. How old are you?
  5. He's only just turned 16, I believe, BR.
  6. ok im sorry guys that i have been through every single service, branch, job etc, but its only becuase i want to make sure i make the right decision
  7. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Join the Army, you'd make a great figure 11.
  8. One thing which might help you is to look back over your years at school and ask yourself which subjects you have enjoyed most, IT for example, and look for a role which would make the most of that.

Ditto outside of school - what do you do outside of school which you really enjoy? Could be cooking, tinkering with cars, various things. That might suggest a direction for you.
  9. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Fair enough. Time for people to back off methinks. Cheers Sol.
  10. Who are you talking to, yourself, or the array of tools who feel better about themselves because they nominate someone for a 'Cock of the Week' award, and equally insecure people agree with them.

There should be no need to back off. You shouldn't have put yourself in the position in the first place.
  11. Why? Assuming you have valid reasons, its all fair and square. 16 year olds can perform searches and look up job descriptions on the navy website just as well as a 18 year old can. Your just ageist.
  12. They do teach from scratch but my advice is to drink heavily. :twisted:
  13. WaveYourFlag

I've been wondering whether you might benefit from visiting a couple of events which are taking place towards the end of July. This is just an off-the-cuff idea and in no way obligatory, by the way. I can't remember in which part of the country you are, so it may be that RNAS Culdrose and HMNB Portsmouth are just too far, but see what you think. If you speak to your Mum or Dad about it, they may think it's a good idea too.

Anyway, RNAS Culdrose has an Air Day on 28th July 2010:

You could speak to RN personnel and get a taste of what it is like to be in the Fleet Air Arm and you could come away feeling that this is for you, too.

The other event is at HMNB Portsmouth:

You will be able to visit ships and talk to personnel who work in a variety of roles.

Careers Advisors will be at both events, should you have any instant questions.
  14. well marine engineer has always been in the back of my head, and ive always hade an interest in fixing things and boats/ships, so i think this might be for me :), only reason i thought about other jobs was because i wasnt sure if i could complete the training and i thought other stuff may be easier, but im confident now. so thanks for all your help guys, especially soleil you have been really useful. i might just go down for one of them weekend thingys anyway

ta x
  15. You're welcome.

Can your Mum/Dad take you?

PS The Culdrose one is midweek.
  16. yeah transports not a problem, what about those long weekend aquaint courses in scotland? what are they all about
  17. ah cheers mate cant wait, never been to scotland before :), do you reckon there'll be many 16/17 yr olds there, or is the average joining age much older?
  18. There will definitely be a fair few 16/17 year olds there. Older people are joining in increasing numbers, so there will be older candidates there too, but there will be others of your age too. It will be fun!