Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stoker John Webster

Sarawak

John Webster was born 1916-17 and was a stoker KX119749 (motor driver RN) on his son's birth certificate in 1942. When he married in 1940 he was a salesman so not in the RN. When his son got married in 1977, John Webster was described as 'naval officer, retired'. I have no date of death.
Is anybody able to give me any more details without having to fork out £30 to MinDef.

Union Jack

Badgeman
Assuming that "John Webster" is the full name, and perhaps not very helpful by itself, but I see that there was an Electrical Lieutenant Commander John Webster with seniority of 1 October 1962, which would just about fit with the years of birth specified and a compulsory retirement age of 50, if not linking in with exactly the same source branch specified.

Since you have not mentioned your connection, before making any application please make sure you you are watertight within the terms of https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records

Jack

Sarawak

Thanks for your reply.

Lt Cdr John Webster joined the RN as a boy at HMS St Vincent in 1932 JX137181. By 1940 he was a PO & a Lt Cdr in 1962, he retired 1966 and died 1987 (courtesy of www.unithistories.com, who only cover officers).

'My' John Webster (full name) Stoker KX119749 in 1942 was recorded 'deceased' on his son's marriage certificate in 1977 - my error was to say 'retired'. I have had a look at the website you quoted, but in order to apply I need a death cert, but as I do not have a date of death, I have a problem.

That is why I was asking if anyone else had any ideas. He not have been promoted higher than PO, but a registrar might think a PO as a 'naval officer'.

fishhead

War Hero
If deaths have been properly registered they are a matter of public record. Most of the geneology sites give you the ability to search the death records. Usually a rough year of birth and a ball park year of death are sufficient to come up with some likely matches. Many will let you search for free if you are a new user.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Message for ninja stoker Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
M Can a stoker (marine engineering) do the AACC? Joining the Royal Navy 54
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp The stoker down below The Fleet 1
H Seeking WW2 RN stoker History 0
J CPO Chris Smithson (Stoker) Submariners 1
janner HM Submarine Saracen - Stoker Metcalfe History 0
I RNR stoker branch Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 27
G Leading Stoker Albert Peach History 1
Ninja_Stoker Marine Engineering Mechanics (Stoker) Branch query - can you help? History 9
I Baby stoker course book needed! The Book Club 2
Stirling Stoker Wilson History 5
W Stoker training? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
Bond509 Passed for Aet!!!! (special thanks to Ninja-Stoker) The Fleet Air Arm 22
C ex killick stoker Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 4
S FAO: Ninja Stoker Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 50
Seaweed Henry Stoker and AE2 Submariners 1
josiecats oi Ninja stoker The Gash Barge 0
andym Help for a Baby Stoker. Diamond Lil's 10
josiecats Ninja Stoker 's nail biting thread....... The Gash Barge 8
D Ex Stoker trying to become a Kiwi The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 14
Two_Clips_Two_Pins ME Dept shake up and the passing of the stoker... Submariners 31
andym RN Stoker at War memoirs. History 0
MoD_RSS AAIB Report: Bombardier BD-700-1A10 Global 6000, runway excursion, Liverpool John Lennon Airport MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sir John Manzoni announced as Chair Designate for AWE plc NDPB Board MoD News 0
MoD_RSS John Whittingdale's Speech at Open Data Institute Summit 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS John Conteh MBE congratulates veterans on completion of Boxing Through Barriers programme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Change of Governor of the British Virgin Islands: John Rankin MoD News 0
MoD_RSS John Penrose MP to lead review exploring how to bolster UK competition policy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS John Glen addresses Investment Association on Sustainability and Responsible Investment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS John Lockhart to join the Forest Services Board MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Wildlife crime and conservation expert John Scanlon appointed chair of UK government’s Illegal Wildlife Trade Challenge Fund MoD News 0
D Captain R.N 1969 . John Templeton-Cotill Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 8
Sumo Skate Board Lands End to John o' Groats Charity 0
MoD_RSS The Secretary of State has appointed John Mothersole as the England Chair of the National Lottery Community Fund. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS John Wilson MBE honoured with new rod licence images MoD News 0
MoD_RSS A letter from John Glen to Stephen Jones on Mortgage Prisoners MoD News 0
soleil ForcesNet: "John Inverdale Praises 'Really Good' Navy Rugby Final" Sports and Adventure Training 0
soleil John O'Groats Journal: "Remembering The Exmouth, 80 Years On" History 2
soleil BBC: John Noakes (Blue Peter) 'At The Controls' Of A Hercules (1975) The Fleet Air Arm 1
MoD_RSS Regional Air Connectivity Review: aviation minister visits Liverpool John Lennon Airport to launch UK tour of regional airports MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The AAIB has sent a team Liverpool John Lennon Airport MoD News 0
MoD_RSS John Procter appointed as Chair of the Royal Armouries MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Manor of Northstead: John Bercow MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Letter from John Manzoni on the public information campaign MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Dr John joins presenters from around the globe at conference in Australia MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Three Hundreds of Chiltern: John Mann MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Life Sciences and UK's future role: Sir John Bell delivers MHRA annual lecture MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Canonisation of Blessed Cardinal John Henry Newman in Rome MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM meeting with US National Security Advisor John Bolton: 12 August 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS John Mann appointed as independent adviser on antisemitism MoD News 0