Stitch?

#1
Hi guys/girls

I don't know much about how it all works, but is there any way that i can reduce the amount of stitches that i am getting when i go jogging? Anything i should be doing/eating, not doing/eating? seems silly, but....i often seem to get a terrible stitch in my side, like someone is stabbing my ribs from the inside out. Today i headed out and did a 6 mile run, and i had to stop and walk so often that it totally ruined my times. Its pretty irritating. since i know i could carry on.

Now i know that i should probably just 'suck it up' and take the pain, but its not only the pain, it screws up my breathing pattern as well.

Any bright ideas? :wave:
 
#3
Don't know if this will help (looks like a bit of a 'stitch' to me) but I found it on a website:

The Latest Word on Stitches

In the May-June 1992 issue of Running Research News there is an article by Dr. Gordon Quick about the causes of and cures for stitches. To summarize:

1) Stitches are a muscle spasm of the diaphragm. The cause of the spasm is that the organs below it are jouncing (sic) up and down and pulling down as it wants to pull up. The liver being the largest organ is the biggest culprit which is why most stitches are on the right side. A stomach full of food may also contribute to the problem for the same reason. Stitches also occur more often when running downhill or in cold weather.

2) The cure seems almost too simple. Breathe out when your left foot strikes the ground instead of when the right foot strikes so that the organs on the right side of the abdomen are jouncing up when the diaphragm is going up. The organs attached to the bottom of the diaphragm on the left aren't as big, so exert less downward pulling strain. If this is not enough to get rid of it, stop and raise you arms above your head until the pain goes away and when you resume, be a left foot breather. (Conversely, if your stitch occurs on the left side, switch your breathing to exhale on the right foot.)

3) Do not eat anything for an hour before running if you are prone to stitches, BUT PLEASE DO DRINK WATER. Water empties from the stomach faster than solids and the risk of complications from dehydration far exceed the problems one may have with a stitch.

4) In the long term, exercises to strengthen the abdominal muscles will help prevent stitches because tighter abs will allow less movement of those internal organs. Practice belly breathing instead of chest breathing as recommended by Noakes. For the most part, stitches diminish over time. While they are not strictly a novice runner's problem (about 1/3 of all runners get them from time to time) they usually will go away after a few weeks of conditioning.
 
#5
Naval_Gazer said:
Don't know if this will help (looks like a bit of a 'stitch' to me) but I found it on a website:

The Latest Word on Stitches



4) In the long term, exercises to strengthen the abdominal muscles will help prevent stitches because tighter abs will allow less movement of those internal organs. .
Thanks for the info NG.

The breathing technique is probably too much for my brain to digest while i am running lol. But No.4 i can do some more.
 
#6
Lillelj said:
Hi guys/girls

I don't know much about how it all works, but is there any way that i can reduce the amount of stitches that i am getting when i go jogging? Anything i should be doing/eating, not doing/eating? seems silly, but....i often seem to get a terrible stitch in my side, like someone is stabbing my ribs from the inside out. Today i headed out and did a 6 mile run, and i had to stop and walk so often that it totally ruined my times. Its pretty irritating. since i know i could carry on.

Now i know that i should probably just 'suck it up' and take the pain, but its not only the pain, it screws up my breathing pattern as well.

Any bright ideas? :wave:

Try not to eat up to an hour before exercise and dont drink any water up to 30 mins before exercise. I find if I drink water after this I get a bad stitch.

Try and keep your pace steady and dont vary your running speed. Also, focus hard on your beathing as you run. I find a ratio of three breaths in and out through my mouth and then one deep one through the nose and out the mouth helps a lot.

PM me if you need any specfics
 
#7
spenny said:
Lillelj said:
Hi guys/girls

I don't know much about how it all works, but is there any way that i can reduce the amount of stitches that i am getting when i go jogging? Anything i should be doing/eating, not doing/eating? seems silly, but....i often seem to get a terrible stitch in my side, like someone is stabbing my ribs from the inside out. Today i headed out and did a 6 mile run, and i had to stop and walk so often that it totally ruined my times. Its pretty irritating. since i know i could carry on.

Now i know that i should probably just 'suck it up' and take the pain, but its not only the pain, it screws up my breathing pattern as well.

Any bright ideas? :wave:

Try not to eat up to an hour before exercise and dont drink any water up to 30 mins before exercise. I find if I drink water after this I get a bad stitch.

Try and keep your pace steady and dont vary your running speed. Also, focus hard on your beathing as you run. I find a ratio of three breaths in and out through my mouth and then one deep one through the nose and out the mouth helps a lot.

PM me if you need any specfics


Thanks spenny.
Well i did eat a can of tuna about 35mins before i left so....(i thought that was enough time, but i guess not).
I don't ever run with a bottle of water either. Farks me over big time. Or perhaps its just a psychological thing?
Anyway i will pay more attention to my breathing tomorrow.
 
#8
Try breathing out (hard) when the opposite foot to the side the stitch is on hits the ground. I.e. if you have a stich on your right side breathe out when your left foot hits the ground. This usually eases it up for me.
 

Similar threads

New Posts