Discussion in 'The Corps' started by Lillelj, Jun 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys/girls

I don't know much about how it all works, but is there any way that i can reduce the amount of stitches that i am getting when i go jogging? Anything i should be doing/eating, not doing/eating? seems silly, but....i often seem to get a terrible stitch in my side, like someone is stabbing my ribs from the inside out. Today i headed out and did a 6 mile run, and i had to stop and walk so often that it totally ruined my times. Its pretty irritating. since i know i could carry on.

Now i know that i should probably just 'suck it up' and take the pain, but its not only the pain, it screws up my breathing pattern as well.

Any bright ideas? :wave:
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Get the bus mate, be a matelot.
  3. Don't know if this will help (looks like a bit of a 'stitch' to me) but I found it on a website:

4. Skint mate, so im forced to run everywhere...otherwise i would consider it. ;P
  5. Thanks for the info NG.

The breathing technique is probably too much for my brain to digest while i am running lol. But No.4 i can do some more.

6. Try not to eat up to an hour before exercise and dont drink any water up to 30 mins before exercise. I find if I drink water after this I get a bad stitch.

Try and keep your pace steady and dont vary your running speed. Also, focus hard on your beathing as you run. I find a ratio of three breaths in and out through my mouth and then one deep one through the nose and out the mouth helps a lot.

PM me if you need any specfics

7. Thanks spenny.
    Well i did eat a can of tuna about 35mins before i left so....(i thought that was enough time, but i guess not).
    I don't ever run with a bottle of water either. Farks me over big time. Or perhaps its just a psychological thing?
    Anyway i will pay more attention to my breathing tomorrow.
  8. Try breathing out (hard) when the opposite foot to the side the stitch is on hits the ground. I.e. if you have a stich on your right side breathe out when your left foot hits the ground. This usually eases it up for me.