Still serving RAF SNCO interested in helping SCC

Discussion in 'SCC and URNU' started by Crab_Air, Dec 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, first post on here - be gentle!

I suppose the topic title sums up my idea but to elaborate a little;

I am a still serving RAF Sgt with nearly 20 years experience. I have been toying with the idea for a few years now of "going back" to put a bit back into the SCC.

As an ex-cadet in the late 80's/ early 90's it gave me a great grounding in military discipline/ skills etc that I was able to use when I joined the RAF. I have always been one of those people who has chosen to coach and mentor people and I have just finished a 3 year tour as an instructor at my trade school. This means I am already CRB cleared and have experience of working with young people (Phase 2 trainees are straight out of basic training).

I am shortly to move onto a new posting and feel that I possibly have the spare capacity to volunteer as an adult instructor at the local SCC unit.

I have not been in touch with them yet as I need to get to grips with my new posting and to find out if I am definitely able to commit (if they even require my services in the first place of course).

As part of my "homework" I was wondering if the following questions could be answered:

1. As a currently serving member of HM Forces am I obliged to inform my chain of command if I successfully volunteer at the SCC? This might sound like a bizarre question but I am NOT planning on doing this for "brownie points" in order to get promoted. I am also not a martyr - I just have my own reasons for wanting to do this and it doesn't involve the RAF.

2. If successfully taken on as an adult instructor and after completing the obligatory probation and necessary courses, would it be possible to become a uniformed member of staff while currently serving in a different branch of HM Forces? (I hope I have explained that well enough!) I don't think I would want to be a uniformed RAF Sgt in my spare time as well to be totally honest!

I may have more questions over the coming weeks/ months, I hope someone can help.

Thanks for reading.
  2. Hello Shipmate and welcome.

Mate, there is no problem at all with you wanting to join the SCC, indeed I seem to remember that most of the staff at Moray SCC Unit were based at RAF Lossiemouth (before they moved to Elgin that is).

To answer/refer to some of your Q's;

You would need to submit a new CRB (paid for by SCC). Even existing SCC staff re-submit a CRB when getting promoted! :roll:

You're obviously aware of the 2 types of instructor;
    i) as a Civi Inst (where ironically you could attend in RAF uniform) and has no attendance commitment. Or you apply for
    ii) Uniform SCC Instructor which requires 50% attendance.
    In either case you will need to declare your service history complete with your OC's permission (your superior officer will normally suffice)
    There is no problem at all with you wearing both uniforms from the SCC POV. You didn't mention your current rank. This might have some bearing on application for officer/SR route. (Some SNCO/WO's can apply for direct officer entry)

Many of the modules instructors are required to complete as part of their training might even be APL'd by your MoD quals/experience.

3. I am always stunned that you lot can put with belonging to the paramilitary wing of Easy Jet at all.
  4. That's great - thanks for the prompt reply with some useful info.

I'm more interested in seeing if/ how I can help and how much of a commitment I am able to make before I make the decision as to whether to go civi or uniformed instructor (if recommended for either!)

At the end of the day for me it is about putting something back, as I took a lot out during my time as a cadet. The personal reward for me would be helping out young people doing something worthwhile with their time rather than any personal gain to myself - hence why I'm keen that it is kept away from the RAF "bubble" I live in and I don't want it to influence anything in my career. I cringe whenever I hear of anyone giving it the large one because they have dressed up in a chicken suit and moonwalked from Lands End to John O'Groats in aid of Romanian orphans.

Just as a matter of curiosity (and please don't confuse this with personal ambition!!!), can you be a serving SNCO but a commisioned member of a cadet organisation, or a regular commisioned officer but a SNCO in the cadet world?

Thanks again.
  5. Oh come on - that's not fair!! Easy Jet provide a professional, prompt and reliable service backed up with a good record of serviceability and investment in their staff.

Don't tar us with that brush... :lol:
  6. Fair one! They are also often available at weekends.
  7. ... and Mon AM, Wed PM and Fri PM
  8. week...end?

I'm sorry, I don't get all of this RN terminology you guys use. Bear with me.
  9. You're definitely a bite there's no such thing as a crab with a sense of humour - you are MLP and I claim my £5
  10. Trust me to deal with this crap for 20 years you need skin thicker than a rhino and a brain the size of a walnut.
  11. Regiment eh?
  12. :lol: :lol: :lol:
  13. Good God no! I said a brain the size of a walnut not lobotomised by a 4 year old wielding a rusty butter knife!

14. No you cant be a NCO in one and commissioned in the other,as I worked as a CFAV in ACF whilst I was in the RN,non comm in both. I do know one CFAV who is a regular LT by day and wavy navy LT by night though.
  15. Guessed as much, was just intrigued to know. Thanks.
  16. This isn't correct (at least not for the SCC, I don't know about the other cadet forces or the CCF).

I know of at least two commissioned RNR officers who are serving as POs in the SCC, and likewise I know at least 5 (off the top of my head) SCC officers who are (or have been) SRs in the Navy/RNR.

Hypothetically, it would be possible for an RAF Sgt to join the SCC and then go through the SCC officer selection process and become an SCC Sub Lieutenant... this is possible because SCC officers are NOT commissioned, they simply hold a time-only appointment from the Captain of the Sea Cadets, and are granted HONOURARY reserve status. (Hence why despite appearing in the Navy List, they are published in a separate chapter towards the back).
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  17. From Sea cadet Regs 4.5.6...

18. I stand corrected on the permission from COs.

Does seem a bit barmy though!