still able to stay in after transplant

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by chipaz, Nov 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hey so basically my brother needs a transplant in the next 2 years.... my entry date for the navy is 7th february so after training and job training i should be finished about dec 2010. january 2011 right?.... anyway.... my bro needs a kidney in the next two years and im wondering if he was too have one of mine and i was in the navy, would i still be allowed to stay in or would i be medically discharged? if you could let me know it would be great thanks :)

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Definitive guidance can be obtained from the Medical examiner at your local AFCO.

The Medical Standards for Entry state the following conditions maybe a (temporary) bar to entry:
    On the grounds that being on a surgery waiting list can be a bar to entry & the fact that a kidney donor cannot join until 6 months have elapsed, together with the fact most trades have waiting lists of around 12 months on average, it maybe as well to consider joining after the Op rather than before.

In any event, a sincere best of luck to you both & a speedy recovery.

3. I wish you both well. Before getting too worked up and planning for the future, are you a suitable donor and is the tissue type close enough to consider that you are a suitable candidate for donation? If you aren't then the problem doesn't arise.