Stiff list 2020

Wightsparker

War Hero
They could show him in his submariner role in 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea.
I had quite forgotten that. But at the time, and for a child of about eight, the film was impressive. (I had never read Jules Verne, and for some time found it difficult to understand the 20,000 leagues bit. I thought it meant depth rather than distance travelled)

Ballistic

War Hero
I had quite forgotten that. But at the time, and for a child of about eight, the film was impressive. (I had never read Jules Verne, and for some time found it difficult to understand the 20,000 leagues bit. I thought it meant depth rather than distance travelled)
I was worse.
As a child, I assumed, (for some odd, over-imaginative childish reason), that a "league" was some sort of snake-like undersea creature...

Just read Clive Cussler has popped his mortal coil!!!!
Love his books. I mean a world without Dirk Pitt is like losing James Bond!!!!

https://www.amazonbookreview.com/post/7f9e054e-1f57-403d-bf38-bec50d78aa75/clive-cussler-1931-2020?linkId=83165330&fbclid=IwAR36CDW1gsp9Hv74icTj_2_ZY7zS77qBLXsKMQy8G9_UZQ5hYtHP5rP4rEw
As that genre has proved so popular I'd guess Clive's son Dirk, with/without other co-writers of several recent Cussler books, would be foolish to put the golden goose to sleep just yet awhile.

Not a fan of his output BTW but all respect & kudos to the man for seeding/funding/finding various maritime archaelogical adventures - CS HUNLEY at Charleston, SC - in particular.

BillyNoMates

War Hero
The films of his books were pretty dire. Here's hoping that Hollywood can get another franchise going..... probably with Tom Cruise doing his bit. A role made for the bloke.

Waspie

War Hero
The films of his books were pretty dire. Here's hoping that Hollywood can get another franchise going..... probably with Tom Cruise doing his bit. A role made for the bloke.
Agree, I found his books an easy read, no political shenanigans and deep meaningful sub plots. I always try and read a cross section of genres as reading the same format gets dull and predictable. He found a niche and made money, it's what we all strive to do. A nice side line for him as mentioned was his funding of maritime archaeology.
I also note in his films, as Hitchcock and Pratchett he always played a cameo role at some point!!

buffersduffer

Midshipman
Country legend Kenny Rogers has died aged 81. Got to admit Islands in the stream is a classic, especially when Ness and Uncle Bryn covered it
2442D83B-A176-47B3-86B2-95CAE88762EF.jpeg

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
repoman Diamond Lil's 171
repoman Diamond Lil's 233
Dredd Diamond Lil's 402