Stiff List 2019

Very sorry to hear this news. Will always be grateful to him and ships company of Plymouth for towing us from Falkland Sound into San Carlos. As Argonaut was completely dead in the water - no power, no lights this was critical. They then helped restart the generators and gave us breakfast. Not a gesture that I will forget. RIP

Topstop

War Hero
Very sorry to hear this news. Will always be grateful to him and ships company of Plymouth for towing us from Falkland Sound into San Carlos. As Argonaut was completely dead in the water - no power, no lights this was critical. They then helped restart the generators and gave us breakfast. Not a gesture that I will forget. RIP
Its just been pointed out that HMS Plymouth's surgeon at the time of the Falklands War - Alastair Walker has recently died - he reached the rank of Surgeon Vice-Admiral. (Obit in the 'Telegraph'): Quote: Walker had a rugby player’s build and always sported a beard. He loved to act in hospital pantomimes, preferring the role of the “baddie” (he was somewhere, said a colleague, between Sir Lancelot Spratt in the Doctor series of films and Jim Trott in The Vicar of Dibley), but at Christmas time he made a good Santa Claus.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
@Scratch429 you and @Ninja_Stoker may be acquainted (of course you may already know this). This thread may be of interest if you haven't seen it, feel free to add any recollections you may wish to share. Welcome to the site.

Wightsparker

War Hero
Thanks Dusty. Crossing the Bar is inevitable for all of us I know; but it was a very sad day for us CO82 boys last week when we heard the news.

I can say with hand on heart that David was a real Gentleman and a lovely person. I will miss him very much.

Fair Winds & Safe Anchorage Skipper
Thinking a bit more about the late Captain David Pentreath, I recall meeting him for the first time long after the Falklands conflict. We started chatting in the bar of the Yarmouth (Isle of Wight) Sailing Club. He introduced himself simply as David Pentreath, and I said: "Captain David Pentreath of HMS Plymouth? Took the surrender at South Georgia?"

He was self-effacing, and was surprised that anyone could have made the connection. I then told him that I had been working in Germany at the time, and had seen a very grainy and badly-captioned newspaper photograph of the surrender. I admitted that as I had not met him before, I had in 1982 made the mistake of thinking that HE was the Argentine naval officer Lt Cdr Astiz..........

David smiled and said: "You know, that's not the first time I have been told that!"

As @Knotty has already said, a gentleman and a lovely man.

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
When I was an Instructor at Raleigh 86 to 88 - if you were 'naughty' as mess dinner you were fined a bottle of port - then at the end of each term mess members were invited to down said port and the mess itself provided a massive wheel of Stilton with the centre scooped out and filled with some of the port and the rest drunk

Happy, Happy days..............................................sigh
I used to get invited into the wardroom after a mess dinner. I would sit next to the Jimmy and I always had a pint glass full of port. (Bandmasters)

Knotty

Lantern Swinger
Thinking a bit more about the late Captain David Pentreath, I recall meeting him for the first time long after the Falklands conflict. We started chatting in the bar of the Yarmouth (Isle of Wight) Sailing Club. He introduced himself simply as David Pentreath, and I said: "Captain David Pentreath of HMS Plymouth? Took the surrender at South Georgia?"

He was self-effacing, and was surprised that anyone could have made the connection. I then told him that I had been working in Germany at the time, and had seen a very grainy and badly-captioned newspaper photograph of the surrender. I admitted that as I had not met him before, I had in 1982 made the mistake of thinking that HE was the Argentine naval officer Lt Cdr Astiz..........

David smiled and said: "You know, that's not the first time I have been told that!"

As @Knotty has already said, a gentleman and a lovely man.
Thanks Wightsparker.
David & Judy lived in Totland & my Mrs, youngest daughter & I would visit them each year just after August bank holiday.
Sometimes we would go for a pub lunch & other times Judy would put on a magnificent spread which we would enjoy in their garden (always with plenty of vino collapso). This was until last year because they moved to Poundbury in Dorset in the autumn of 2017.
We were not going to visit last year but my Mrs said we should, David & Judy would not be around forever!
So pleased that we went see them. Had a lovely pub lunch in Bridport..

taffscrivs

War Hero
I read somewhere that he was quite an unpleasant chap.
I have an oppo who is the travelling head lad at a well known jump racing stables who met him many times.
He described him as larger than life but didn't suffer fools gladly. Perhaps this is why he got the 'unpleasant' tag?

fishhead

War Hero
The BBC gave him a eulogy on the 6 o'clock news and managed to include the adjectives sexist and bigoted. Aah well you can't please everybody :)

taffscrivs

War Hero
The BBC gave him a eulogy on the 6 o'clock news and managed to include the adjectives sexist and bigoted. Aah well you can't please everybody :)
I hope the Beeb never give me a eulogy then, they'd have to add a few more adjectives to the list!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
repoman Diamond Lil's 233
Dredd Diamond Lil's 402
exJenny Diamond Lil's 413