Stiff List 2018

Richard Baker, former BBC Newsreader.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46246049

Baker's studies at Cambridge University were interrupted by World War Two.

He served on a minesweeper with the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve during the conflict, attached to the supply convoys to Russia.

After WW2 he remained with the RNVR and subsequently the RNR. I bought him a drink once - the first time I ever heard someone ask for a pink gin.
Nice guy. RIP.

After WW2 he remained with the RNVR and subsequently the RNR. I bought him a drink once - the first time I ever heard someone ask for a pink gin.
Nice guy. RIP.
I did seem to remember hearing about him being in the RNR after the RNVR but there was no mention of that in the article.
Thanks for confirming that.

London RNR on parade for the 1977 Lord Mayor's Show. I was a member of the Guard. 0630 at the HAC ground, it tried to snow and we were in 1's, no greatcoats, so white fronts and jerseys. Lt Cdr Baker kindly gave the poor shivering matelots a swig from his hip-flask. Greatly appreciated. He joined in the party on HMS President afterwards, too.

I reminded him of this about 10 years later when he appeared with the choir I sang with in a concert. We didn't get to have a drink together that time though. A thorough gent. RIP.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Dredd Diamond Lil's 402
exJenny Diamond Lil's 413
drewfester Diamond Lil's 143