Stiff List 2018

I know nothing ever stays the same - but as I sail into my 60s and retirement little bits of my life get nibbled away - I went to Chatham Maritime last week and the Royal Marine pub at the top of the hill has gone now - I remember when Chatham was teeming with ships and matelots working hard but playing hard too (and the Ghurkas at Brompton Barracks - vicious little sods) half of Brompton Barracks is having 'luxury' flats built on them now

Is it just me coming away from these places depressed ??
It's nothing new Dusty.
The end of the 11th century saw loads of Anglo-Saxons looking wistfully at the Tower of of London and saying, "Eeh, I remember when this was all fields..."

Conversely, last time I wandered round the site of HMS Cambridge, (returned to nature now), I made a point of saying to a complete stranger, "Eeh, I remember this when it was all buildings..." ;)

well the one that was there in 96
Remember it being built in the 80's. Was at FOST FMG at the time and lived on the rock in married quarters.
Used to drink with some of the builders - what a state it was! The 'new' Wardroom (since pulled down) was a shocking state - apparently the lift shafts were dog legged and never worked.
Thing was that the old WO & CPO's Mess and PO's messes up the rock were too small. A large percentage had to live ashore in lodging (myself included before I got married). It was very costly to pusser and rife with 'alleged' back handers being made between the landlords and staff (I believe one WO SA lost his rate and pension?).

The messes up the hill had absolutely brilliant views, especially on a Thursday War - looking down on ships leaving harbour and getting bounced by Hunters. Better watching then being on them!

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Lots of new build in the area, we managed to get one of the new roads named Sidon Mews in memory of those that died in 1955 in Sidon.

@Taztiff when being considered for changes to make private flats, it was noted that the wardroom was subsiding, never built proper like, hence why it never work properly, that Andrew chap was there for a while back then, some of our Orifers took the micky out of him?

Was at FOST FMG at the time
I heard that was a good draft if you enjoyed fixing stuff as opposed to being fobbed off with "resilient mount inspections" and "earth bonding checks" which was the norm for Devonport FMG.
Was that actually the case? (I have a feeling the working hours may have been a downside...)

I heard that was a good draft if you enjoyed fixing stuff as opposed to being fobbed off with "resilient mount inspections" and "earth bonding checks" which was the norm for Devonport FMG.
Was that actually the case? (I have a feeling the working hours may have been a downside...)
Yes it was.
I didnt like Gus FMG because of the reasons you mentioned (SWAT team though was different again).
FOST FMG was mostly going on board and fixing defects so the ship could carry on their FOST program - real 'get in, fault find, fix and let the ships company do the paperwork!'. ME's seemed to get more late nights then us but if no ships alongside it was very 'laid back.
Loved it.
We did get flown out to ships to help out some times - Yes, not normal FMG but again, real use of your skills!
All in all, my favourite shore drafts were FOST FMG.

Yes it was.
I didnt like Gus FMG because of the reasons you mentioned (SWAT team though was different again).
FOST FMG was mostly going on board and fixing defects so the ship could carry on their FOST program - real 'get in, fault find, fix and let the ships company do the paperwork!'. ME's seemed to get more late nights then us but if no ships alongside it was very 'laid back.
Loved it.
We did get flown out to ships to help out some times - Yes, not normal FMG but again, real use of your skills!
All in all, my favourite shore drafts were FOST FMG.
That would have been my cup o' tea :cool:
Still, Cambridge more than compensated :)

Another major thread drift though :D

I know nothing ever stays the same - but as I sail into my 60s and retirement little bits of my life get nibbled away - I went to Chatham Maritime last week and the Royal Marine pub at the top of the hill has gone now - I remember when Chatham was teeming with ships and matelots working hard but playing hard too (and the Ghurkas at Brompton Barracks - vicious little sods) half of Brompton Barracks is having 'luxury' flats built on them now

Is it just me coming away from these places depressed ??
The Two Sawyer's has also been long gone

It's nothing new Dusty.
The end of the 11th century saw loads of Anglo-Saxons looking wistfully at the Tower of of London and saying, "Eeh, I remember when this was all fields..."

Conversely, last time I wandered round the site of HMS Cambridge, (returned to nature now), I made a point of saying to a complete stranger, "Eeh, I remember this when it was all buildings..." ;)
Went to Guzz a few years back . Benbow block was just a concrete pad, Was on Swiftsure and we had the top two floors, 7 and 8th floor, only just open. Saw the Granddaughter today got a tatt on her neck, first in the family, looks like a skunk leaf :( God I'm a Dinosaur. o_O

Went to Guzz a few years back . Benbow block was just a concrete pad, Was on Swiftsure and we had the top two floors, 7 and 8th floor, only just open. Saw the Granddaughter today got a tatt on her neck, first in the family, looks like a skunk leaf :( God I'm a Dinosaur. o_O
When I was on Sovereign the first time round we were on the floor below you :)

Dusty70

Lantern Swinger
I (vaguely) remember being on the Puma - we had to go to Vicky barracks (Nelson) in one of the old blocks for a week while the ship was de -cockied

3rd floor up - fire escape was a rope fixed to the ceiling that you slung out of the window and crabbed down - Elf and Safety......pah............................

whole ships company (except locals) on one floor - I think all of us had our lockers broken and gear nicked that week

I was in Vicky barracks in the early 70s and there were still bars rigged in the messdecks to sling your hammock from. Never suffered from tea leafs though as being sun dodgers we had bugger all worth nicking.:)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Dredd Diamond Lil's 402
exJenny Diamond Lil's 413
drewfester Diamond Lil's 143