Sticky situation, advice please

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Samwise, Mar 4, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. First off, sorry for the wall of text.

Im joining as an AET in july. A couple of weeks ago I was stopped by the police driving my mums car whilst mine was being repaired. It flashed up on the computer that there was no MOT on the car. Anyway, I was allowed to drive home and was told an officer would be over the next day to discuss the case.

The next day I got my insurance documents out for them to see and everything appeared to be fine, until they said that I wasn't actually covered to drive my mums car. I, obviously wrongly, presumed my fully comprehensive cover would allow me to drive my mums car on a third party basis, but the small print said this didn't apply to those under 25 (I'm 22).

Now obviously this is my fault for not reading the small print on my documents, but where do I sit in terms of my navy application? Is a 'driving without insurance' conviction a bar to entry under the 'rehabilitation of offenders act'. I've not yet received a court date, but my own research suggests there are two types of offence, 'recordable' and 'non-recordable' and driving without insurance falls into the latter, meaning I won't get a criminal record? How does the navy see this?

Any advice/experience will be greatly appreciated as my entire career hangs in the balance here :s

Sam.

2. Honesty is the best policy, tell your man at the AFCO. As you've already told RR your problem then they'll know who you are anyway!

3. Sam

At the end of your interview, your RN Careers Advisor will have read out something to you called the Post Interview Caution as given below and by which you are bound. The right thing for you to do is to get in touch with him/her tomorrow morning and let yourself be guided by him/her.

"It is a condition of entry into the Naval Service that should you become involved with the Police, either as a witness or subject to prosecution, you must report the facts immediately to a member of the Careers Staff at this AFCO. Failure to do so may delay your final entry or may be considered as fraudulently withholding information."

4. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Have you checked Mums insurance to see if there is anyway that you could be covered under that?

5. Sorry chaps, forgot to mention I have already informed my AFCO and explained. He was quite doom and gloom, and said get a lawyer but to prepare for the worst if I'm convicted. My only hope after speaking to him was the grey area around the actual offence itself, and whether a 'non recordable' offence (no criminal record) will be a bar to entry. He said to get back to him once I've spoken to a lawyer which I'm doing this week.

Another thing is the fact that the police officer let me drive home knowing there was no insurance applied to the car, thereby basically instructing me to drive without insurance and an MOT. Surely she shouldn't have let me drive at all and impounded the car on the spot?

Janner, my mum didnt realise her MOT had expired, which invalidates any insurance relating to that car so unfortunately that won't hold up :(

Thanks for the replies guys.

6. The MOT was confirmed to be expired when I was stopped, that fact alone invalidates my mums insurance policy which applies to her car regardless of the details of my own policy. Does that make sense? The police officer must have known this rule.

7. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Is someone shitting me? The military wont allow someone to join up with some minor crap this lads done? Not as if he stole the car or anything. Are we just recruiting people turned down by the monastries or something?

Unbelievable, what ever happened to cops having an ounce of common sense (Oh I forgot...targets) would it be worth telling the judge this **** up will wreck your career?

• Like Like x 2
  8. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

If I had a quid for everyone who said at Table that they 'forgot to read daily Orders' in their defence..........

What's done is done, and I'm sure that it won't be that bad... people have joined with worse than that.

9. janner

Samwise

Go and see a Solicitor today, take any paperwork that you have from the RN regarding your joining and explain that any penalty may put a finish to this career before its started.

Make sure that you take your insurance etc. and Mums including the expired MoT.

If he rings Police HQ at Winfrith he may be able to get the matter dealt with without it going to court. It will depend on things like how long ago the MOT expired and how good the other documents are. The sooner you get onto it the more chance you have of getting this sort of result.

10. Good luck mate.

11. Thanks for the support chaps! On Friday when I see my lawyer I'm going to ask him to speak to the judge/magistrate in his chambers before the hearing and explain the gravity of the situation to him! Here's hoping common sense prevails!

• Like Like x 1
  12. janner

Are you in court on friday?

13. No no, I have my first appointment with my solicitor on Friday. I haven't even been summonsed to court yet. I'll be sure to take all the relavent paperwork though for him to check over.

Has anyone ever come across a situation like this in the recruiting process before?

14. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

No, we just recruit failed monks now.

15. Janner, remember this is the same force that arrested it's own chief copper a few years back for speeding!!!!!!

That said, samwise, it's not as if it's the biggest and most heinous of motoring offences. Tell them your a white anglo saxon and therefore part of a minority group and your bound to be let off.:blob3:

16. janner

I know Waspie they still pay my pension. Don't know about the CC getting nicked but one CC was chuffed because his wife got a ticket for speeding, which SHE paid and he had framed in his office.

Things change but common sense sometimes rules and the sooner young Sam gets in touch with them (through his brief) the more chance he has of getting a sensible result.

Edit....mong speeling

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Janner, the CC that was nicked for speeding was one or two before the Female CC we had a couple of years ago!

18. Did they have to get rid of her because she was split.

19. janner

Waspie, I think we are talking about the same person, the rumours had it that it was him but as I say it was his Missus. I was talking to her one day (they lived just outside Dorch.) and she confirmed that he had made her pay the fine herself.

20. Yes - a common theme I'm afraid. Remember, a good criminal never gets caught..... :cool: