Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by brownie86, May 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. im tryin to build some muscle before joining and a guy at the gym said use steroids to speed it up. Im not really into that sort of stuff but was wondering if i did would i fail the drugs test because i was told using steroids is not illegal? Im not gonna take them i just want to know if he was lying or not???
  2. Anabolic steroids are illegal, thus you would fail any drugs test.
  3. Hypothetically speaking, you're a waffle.

Some extra protein is the most you'll really need. :)
  4. if you want to build muscle fast try protein shakes or something, have a look on the maximuscle website.

i would say that building yourself up too much will only making the PT harder, cardio fitness is more important for the navy and press ups and situps.

Muscle weighs a lot and will only slow you down, remember muscle does not float lol
  5. Don't even bother with the protein shakes. Just eat lots of eggs and fish.
  6. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Also, they can seriously f*** you up. There was a kid at school with me, can't remember his name, but it's a long time ago. Anyway he was one of those types who are irritatingly good at all sports. I would imagine he could have turned pro at a couple of different things. He was a big f***** anyway, but started on 'roids aged 17. They turned him into a bloaty mess. He looked like he'd been made out of balloons, messed up his kidneys(??? or one of his internal organs too), never played sport again.
  7. Hi,

Anabolic steroids are illegal and you would fail the drugs test. Aside from this they can have terrible side effects. Bulking up before entry is not a great idea as the bigger you are the more weight you have to cart around whilst running and lift during push-ups. You will find that a lot of bodybuilders can't do a push-up because they weigh so much.

If you do want to try something similar, PhD do some great training supplements, but will only work as hard as you do. If your not training hard enough they won't do anything. PhD do a product that has similar mass gaining properties to steroids and some other products that you may find useful. They are professional grade supplements so you may want to seek out some advice.

The link is here.

Have a look at Methoxy-7-test.

Hope this helps,

8. yea im not gonna do them just he said its not illegal for personal use only illegal to supply them and it just made me think if i did would i fail the drugs test, but il just eat lots of protein and creatine shakes
  9. Cuttlefish Jesus speaks the truth! Although I do use Maximuscle Cyclone as pussers chefs can't always be relied on to give me decent training scran.

The bonus of doing it this way instead of using steroids is that you don't grow massive man boobs that can only be supressed by taking oestragen, your nuts don't shrivel up, your joints don't collapse and your skin doesn't turn to orange peel.

Yep, steroids rock all right.
  10. i have heard that creatine creates false muscle i.e as soon as u stop using it (when u get to raleigh) you shrink back down instantly.

Try cyclone from maximuscle, it helped me put a bit of extra muscle on and has a small amount of creatine in it.
  11. yeah best to be safer than sorry mate!. You'll be more chuffed with yourself anyway building yourself up the straight way ... and knowing the hard works paid off! :)
  12. Creatine doesn't create muscle as such, Creatine is a naturally occuring chemical which provides muscle with energy in the form of adenosine triphosphate (ATP). Nearly all of it gets stored in skeletal muscle so is rarely used. You can get creatine from fish and red meat so taking large amounts of creatine only serves to damage your liver and also promote water retention (which is the "false" muscle you mention.)

A small amount of extra creatine can benefit, but masses of it will not do you any good at all.
  13. cheers for clearing that up. i was only repeating what i had heared, i never knew the real reason.
  14. No worries, one of the reasons I use Cyclone is because it has both protein and creatine in it in a manageable amount, and from my experience, it DOES make a difference if you can't get the right food all the time.

Worth the money IMO.
  15. Steriods. Bad. End of!
  16. Absolutley, and you don't need them. Wannabe can confirm that I'm ripped. :wink:
  17. Haha

It seems I can't even spell the word correctly- I get that irate about the subject my spelling goes to pot.
  18. That's ure and utter tripe sorry mate you're talking out your harris, you realise how much these guy's can bench press right? Add that to the fact that body builder's are well known for having body fat of about 4% before a competition and muscle carrying it's own weight, in fact because bodybuilders have to look so "cut" they don't actualy weigh that much to be honest.
  19. I think what he's talking about is some of the guys on the day of competition where they have cut themselves up to dangerous levels and have hardly any body fat at all. This makes them very weak because they're body is close to shutting down. Obviously, the day after competition they eat properly and lay off the cutting drugs, but when they take it that far, yes the struggle to walk let alone bang out a few press ups on the big day.

Cnuts are bench pressing buses days after though. 8O
  20. I weigh 14 stone and my bf is 9% and i consider my self to be a good runner, i average 7 min mile, most pressups 115, pull-ups 28, dips 72. (Although this is declining pretty fast as i just left the marines,and in the process of rejoining to be a diver and is proving very hard to retain my strength)
    Maximuscle products are ok but very expensive and there are far better things out there that are cheaper. Also as for steroids in the military (gotta be carefull what i say here now) but look at some the marines and paras, yes it does goes on, enough said on that.
    Train hard, eat right, dont be fooled by the packaging. A good website is my, very cheap and just as good if not better than some of the more expensive brands on the market. Also plenty of rest. Just cause you want to to get some muscle mass it does not mean you have to be a crap runner or crap at push up and pull ups, you just got to include it your training.