Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Step Son Applying For Weapons Engineer Role

nottyash

Midshipman
Evening Gents,

Please excuse the question, as I'm sure its been asked before but….as an ex green job, with a step son who has an interest in the RN wondered if one of you could provide some info.

He has completed the psychometric test and interview phase and has been told to go away and research what the role of 'Weapons Engineer' entails, what the training involves and what the life of a weapons engineer is likely to be like.

Not having the foggiest I can't help him and wondered if one of you chaps can. Have checked previous posts they seem for the most part to deal with Weapons Engineer officer types. The exam questions therefore are:

What does the training involve? (In phases please).
How difficult is it?
Once qualified, what or where is he likely to be plying his trade? (Shore based or on board a ship).

Would appreciate answers on a postcard please.

Thanks

Notty

Last edited:

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Sounds like he was knocked back at interview for insufficient branch knowledge. If so he'll have been given a time-frame in order to be re-interviewed with regard the areas found wanting.

All the information such as initial training, phase two training, location, content, duration, qualifications earned etc., is on the RN website on video or in written text.

It's appreciated some info can be gained on here and you obviously wish to help him but in truth, he needs to get of his arse and research his chosen career himself rather than be spoon fed.

Apologies if that sounds harsh but he must've done zero research previously. That said, good luck to him.

Had to do a double take of the thread title there when I first glanced at it.Thought it read 'Steptoe and son applying for WE role.' :) As N-G says research.Good luck.

nottyash

Midshipman
Thanks

Sounds like he was knocked back at interview for insufficient branch knowledge. If so he'll have been given a time-frame in order to be re-interviewed with regard the areas found wanting.

All the information such as initial training, phase two training, location, content, duration, qualifications earned etc., is on the RN website on video or in written text.

It's appreciated some info can be gained on here and you obviously wish to help him but in truth, he needs to get of his arse and research his chosen career himself rather than be spoon fed.

Apologies if that sounds harsh but he must've done zero research previously. That said, good luck to him.

Thanks for the replies fellas and I understand the sentiment and the good natured advice. He has been told to return within 3 months, with documentary proof of his physical preparation (despite being fit as a butchers dog). I've actually had a look around the web and the RN websites and the detail (that he completes 10 weeks at Raleigh and then goes to Hampshire for his trade training) is a little scant. Hence the probing questions and more in depth answers from those who are at the coal face on here.

Like any parent though, (albeit it a step parent) we try to help our charges in whatever they do, so I guess I'm no different. Sleep for 20 hours a day???? Where do I sign.

Notty.

slim

War Hero
He will go to HMS Sultan for part 2 training which is in Gosport so he will be getting lots of seatime crossing between Gosport and Portsmouth when he goes on the pull:grin:

nottyash

Midshipman
He will go to HMS Sultan for part 2 training which is in Gosport so he will be getting lots of seatime crossing between Gosport and Portsmouth when he goes on the pull:grin:

Good to see that tax payers money is being well spent. Wouldn't it be cheaper to get a taxi?

nottyash

Midshipman
Bit of a worry when matelots don't know where WE's have been trained since at least the 1970's, eh?

More here, to guide him on his quest, if not already sighted: http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/~/media/files/cnr-pdfs/engineering technician weapon engineering.pdf

http://HMS Collingwood Linky

The perils of the inter web. The RN blurb (as part of our research) indicates that WE's are trained here, hence my reference to Hampshire in a previous post. From the response above, either trade training is done in a number of places or something is afoot. That's why I am trying to solicit answers from those who are really in the know - those at the coal face. I'm taking it that with recent defence costs, you are operating coal fired ships again? Thanks Notty.

slim

War Hero
Don't WEs go to HMS Collingwood any more?

Has it sunk?

OOOOOOPs my feckup
Just cos ALL wafu trades now got to Sultan (RIP Daedalus) I assumed that all Trade training was now at Sultan.
Looks like no seatime for him on the Gosport ferry then

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Notty

All WE training is done at Collingwood, if he's going submariner he'll do continuation training at the submarine school in Raleigh once he's finished at Collingwood.

..............Life as a WE is pretty straightforward,

There are 3 recognised repair techniques:
: the "Ferranti re-boot" - on/off, on/off etc.
: if that doesn't work then it's the "willy-nilly board shuffle" - aka "plug n play"
: if the above 2 don't fix it, then call the contractor

In between any of the above then sit in the mess and drink tea (whilst taking shit from ME's or even Dabbers about your technical deficiencies /sexuality)

That's about it really, alternatively try and convince him to become an ME!

..............Life as a WE is pretty straightforward,

There are 3 recognised repair techniques:
: the "Ferranti re-boot" - on/off, on/off etc.
: if that doesn't work then it's the "willy-nilly board shuffle" - aka "plug n play"
: if the above 2 don't fix it, then call the contractor

In between any of the above then sit in the mess and drink tea (whilst taking shit from ME's or even Dabbers about your technical deficiencies /sexuality)

That's about it really, alternatively try and convince him to become an ME!

Become an AET, its much the same without all that grey metal sea shite!

Going ashore doesn't entail asking some snotty subby for permission

Last edited:

nottyash

Midshipman
Thanks. I'm a full service retired green job and I'm afraid that the only thing I know about the RN (other than it's the senior service) is not to call a ship a boat unless we are referring to a submarine. Explanation of acronyms and role specific tasks would be appreciated. I think the lad is looking forward to being at sea though as well as the opportunity to travel.

Cheers

Notty

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
How old is that PDF? It says 9 weeks training at Raleigh.
Good spot - about 3+ years.

You'd have made a good Writer R3. And a Reader, for that matter. ;-)

I guess that's the difference between a graduate soon to be studying for a Masters and a person that failed a first job interview.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Government backs Animal Welfare (Sentencing) Bill as it takes crucial step forward MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Next big step for Thorney Island’s flood defences MoD News 0
Q Next step after pjft Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
MoD_RSS Troops and veterans one step closer to stronger legal protection MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Gas goes green as UK takes another step toward net zero MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Hundreds step up to help smaller employers Kickstart Britain’s recovery MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New director for UKAEA's STEP programme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK takes major step towards membership of Trans-Pacific free trade area MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Big step forward in digital infrastructure revolution brings benefits of 5G closer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CMA Chairman Andrew Tyrie to step down MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 100 places move a step closer to multi-million pound Towns Fund investment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chancellor shops at outdoor market marking first step in plan to reopen economy MoD News 1
MoD_RSS UK Armed Forces step up support to the Caribbean Overseas Territories during coronavirus pandemic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Welsh volunteers step in to support communities MoD News 0
MoD_RSS First new ventilators to roll off production line this weekend as industry answers call to step up manufacturing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS In the military? CNC could be your next step MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Armed Forces protected from vexatious claims in important step MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Next step for new service for benefit assessments announced MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government’s ambition to enhance the environment takes crucial step forward MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Start of construction at HS2’s London super-hub moves a step closer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Pivotal THINK! campaign calls on young men to step in and stop their mates from drink driving MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PHE reaches crucial step in fully sequencing novel coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Flagship Agriculture Bill moves a step forward MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Time to step up and save our ocean MoD News 0
P Step by step guide into the Navy 2019 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
MoD_RSS The first step in moving towards peace in Syria MoD News 0
MoD_RSS SIR KENNETH BLOOMFIELD TO STEP DOWN FROM ICLVR MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Landmark bridge moves step closer to completion MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Thousands more people to be given step up onto the housing ladder MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Helen’s Law takes vital step closer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK to take a big ‘STEP’ to fusion electricity MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK will step up efforts to end preventable deaths of mothers, new-born babies and children in the developing world by 2030 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 18 new roads move a step closer to completion MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK and Australian Space Agencies agree to step up cooperation, with the intention to develop a world-first ‘Space Bridge’ MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Secretary: UK must step up its role as a good global citizen MoD News 0
MoD_RSS International Development Secretary calls on global leaders to step up Ebola response after more than 2000 people die of the disease MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Next STEP in fusion MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ebola in DRC, one year on: UK calls on international community to step up MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chairman of the NDA to step down MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sir Jonathan Thompson to step down as HMRC Chief Executive in the Autumn MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sellafield Ltd CEO to step down after five years of unprecedented progress MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Upgrade to busy Winchester junction takes major step forward MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Final step taken in CMA reform of investment consultants MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: HMS Queen Elizabeth step closer to operations with transatlantic training MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Gove steps-up government action to cut food waste at landmark ‘Step up to the plate’ gathering MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Food Waste Champion rallies major players to ‘Step up to the Plate’ MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Slashing food waste: Major players urged to ‘Step up to the Plate’ MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Next step in photonic technologies: apply for funding MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Chris Skidmore: A STEP further for students MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: UK takes step forward in global marine protection MoD News 0