step by step guide to how to do forces publicity

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by kinross_special, Dec 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Great article, with the Mob could figure out a way to get the RN in the news like this.

Cheers shippers

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The Navy PR machine has no problem producing "local boy/girl does good" stories which the local press prints quite happily, the same as the RAF.

The problem is the national newspapers with the wider readership, particularly the 'Hastings' variety, only want to slag-off the forces because death, controversy & scandal sells papers - it's as simple as that unfortunately.

It's easier calling servicemen & women cowards because it makes the good knight's papers sell & makes him wealthier.

3. I know - I have been that story!

However, you only have to look at how the press spinstories once they have got up a good head of steam about something.

Today is a classic example; look at the MOD website. Nice story about HMS DAUNTLESS coming into Pompey for the first time.

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/EquipmentAndLogistics/DauntlessIsDelivered.htm

Now, let's look at how the Wail treats the same story:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...ns-new-1bn-super-ship-isnt-working-order.html

I honsetly don;t know what the FLEET pr bods could have one about this, but one thing is bl**dy clear, if I was running pr for the mob, I wouldn't want to be starting from here....

Also, note the spurious but very clever dig at ipods in the Mail's headline. It really is the gift that keeps on giving, cheers Arthur.

4. how to do forces publicity?

I guarantee you front page news in every newspaper on the planet and breaking news on every TV channel the world over!

HMS Montrose proceeds up the Thames to Tower Bridge, after a bombardment of Houses of Parliament, a heliborn assault by a combined force of Marines and Paras in Wokkas storms Palace of Westminster and No10 supported by the Ruperts in their Scimitars.

When the dust has settled, Joint Chiefs then walk across from Whitehall in their best bib and tuckers and accept the surrender of Brown and his cohorts at sword point…

:thumbup:

5. QUOTE:-

If so, it will certainly help to boost the Royal Navy's profile after a series of recent embarrassments. Its refusal to intervene in the recent kidnapping of the British couple, Paul and Rachel Chandler, by Somali pirates has only been compounded by some increasingly shifty excuses from the Ministry of Defence.

This episode, in turn, has echoes of the national humiliation, in 2007, when eight Royal Marines and seven sailors meekly surrendered to an Iranian gunboat in the Persian Gulf without offering resistance.

To make matters worse, two of the sailors were then authorised to sell their stories while it emerged that an Australian naval unit in an identical situation in the same waters had seen off an Iranian boarding party merely by pointing guns at them and swearing.

Traditionalists put the blame squarely at the top and say that the rot set in during the 2005 bicentenary of the Battle of Trafalgar, when the Navy insisted on staging a politically correct reenactment of Nelson's triumph. The mock battle featured a 'red fleet' and a 'blue fleet' to avoid offending the French.

That decision was taken by the (then) First Sea Lord, Sir Alan West, who accepted a peerage from Gordon Brown two years later and now sits in the Lords. After such a daunting few years, perhaps the arrival of HMS Dauntless can mark a bold new chapter in the fortunes of our Senior Service.

'Kinnel Biggles :oops: Increasingly shifty excuses

6. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Well, the Red and Blue fleet thing stuck in my throat and I should think everyone else's too. Mind you it was a pretty trivial 'reenactment' anyway. Likewise the 250th anniversary of Quiberon, described by one historian as "the Trafalgar of the Seven Years' War", passed without comment let alone celebration even though, battle apart, it was one of the finest feats of seamanship ever. Let's see what is made of the 70th anniversary of Dunkirk next year - not too hot for the Pongoes but unquestionably an amazing victory by the RN.

7. Along the same lines the rot started long ago. It is several years since the RM crest was altered for display at the Royal Tournament. It had "Gibraltar"; awarded by George IV to represent all RM battle honours; removed to avoid upsetting the Spanish who were there that year. The pathetic excuse given was that it was the cap badge not the crest but of course this means it had extra bits; fouled anchor and motto; in it!!

IMD