Step by step guide into the Navy 2021

Pats Nation

Badgeman
A great read thank you :)
Just wondering however. What if you don’t pass the swim test in the first week. What happens?
thanks
You then get given the opportunity to do extra lessons during your “spare” time in the evenings. I would strongly suggest you get some practice in before hand. You will get a couple goes at the swim test though just keep swimming until you can’t swim no more.

So after nearly a year I have some updates. I will explain Phase 1 at Raleigh in Covid terms and put a little bit about Phase 2 at Collingwood.

If your date is looming I’m sure your feeling some nerves we all get them, in your first week it is just a blur. You have to sign multiple bits of paperwork and your rushing around without a clue of what’s going on, this is normal.

You will constantly get told how bad you are as a class and you are the worst that has ever been through Raleigh it always happens.

Providing you are in the FB chat for your class you have an edge as you can chat amongst yourselves and get to know each other. If you are not I suggest you join, it makes life a lot easier.

Tips I wish I knew before I went, stick to the kit list you don’t need anything other than what is on there. You can get the odd few bits at the naafi (shop) when you are there.

Only use one towel the whole time you are there and re wash it, fold the other two nice and A4 and leave them in your locker for the two kit musters.

Concentrate on bodyweight exercises before you join, the 4 main exercises you will do are press ups, squats, squat thrusts and burpees (especially burpees) oh and the PTI’s love a sprint on the Astro. If you are doing weights throw them away they will not help you.

On your first week you have the swim test and 1.5 mile run, if you can practice some swimming then do it, it is much harder with a wetsuit on as it absorbs so much water making you weigh twice as much.

During PT sessions don’t move, don’t scratch, don’t blink or you will be down doing press ups. Don’t answer back just yes staff no staff. You will hear the phrase “play the game” believe me just play it and you will all make it through.

Simple things like sewing pins work wonders for getting stones out of your shoes and boots, polish the bottoms of your shoes aswell as it saves time.

The tip to Raleigh is finding shortcuts to things to make your life easier, learning how to iron and fold is a good start before you join.

As we are in the pandemic still it is face masks everywhere, you may miss things during your 10 week programme due to this but you should still get to do most of it and hopefully you get a pass out at the end as not many do at the mo.

Quick run though of each week.

1 - Paperwork. PowerPoint. Paperwork. You meet your div staff and all your other recruits, best thing you can do is get on top of your kit, you get 30 mins phone time Monday - Thursday in the evenings. Then some extra Friday and the Weekends but the quicker you get your kit squared away and understand how to iron and fold to A4 your laughing.

2 - Management get chosen this week usually on the Friday so if your interested make yourself known, I was management and tbh it was just extra stress and you get nothing from it.

You will be introduced to phys hence the need to learn how to iron your PT kit, If it is not up-to scratch you’ll be doing sprints or press ups.

Whenever you are heading to the classroom make sure you have a notepad and pen and your water bottle!

Do not be adrift (late) for anything as a class kick yourselves up the ass and be early, the DI’s say 5 mins before, my class did 10 mins before. You will get beasted for being 10 seconds late. You soon learn.

3 - This is MTU week which means you spend the week working on the SA80 rifle, it is a right laugh, you learn how to strip down the rifle and put it back together again.

After a few days of doing this if you are competent and pass your weapons handling test you get to fire 60 live rounds in different stances which is just awesome.

You won’t do any phys this week so use it to heal up and be ready for the weeks to come.

4 - This is the first tough week, you have to do your first kit muster, so iron and fold everything perfectly A4 and lay it out on your bed, lint roller everything after you have laid it out and check the posters on the walls to make sure it is correct.

By now with all the practice you have been doing you should be experts at folding to A4.

If you pass first time you are flying. Lots of people fail it first time so if you do don’t panic, your oppo’s will get behind you. You have three attempts so smash it the second time.

You also have more phys and pier cellars which is a good laugh. You go off base for 2 days and take part in different leadership tasks, obstacle courses, go for a nice dip in the pond and go for a massive trek the next day.

You get soaked on the first day so make sure you warm up and dry as much as possible by the fire as you will be getting into your dry kit before bed and changing into that hopefully damp kit at 3 in the morning when the DI’s come in with FIRE FIRE FIRE.

The following day is good you take your Bergen and go for a long hike, you see some good views on mine we managed to see a Type 45 in action just off shore and the weather just about held out for us.

5 - A bit of a slow one this week, you spend the week over at the seamanship school, it does drag and isn’t really useful unless you join as a Sea Spec, we couldn’t do much practical because of Covid so it’s lots of power points etc just try not to fall asleep.

You also get to go to Church each Sunday which I forgot to mention, you get to have a sing song and take part in the service if your not religious who cares get involved and sing to your hearts content.

6 - Week 6 is nearly all spent at JP Jupiter Point, this is probably the best week at Raleigh, you go off base again and go down to see the brecon.

You get to have a whizz round on some speedboats and drive some of the smaller ones, the instructors are so chilled and let you take nutty (snacks) so make sure you take advantage of that!

You also get to conduct a man overboard and see the ins and outs of what happens and where. And you see how cosy the racks are. (Beds).

7 - This is the worst week I would say, you have your last kit muster, hopefully you passed the first one first time so you will all be experienced enough to know what is expected.

You have to put out some extra kit for this one but it is easier than the first. If you suck at kit work with your oppo so you can do something for them and they do something for you it’s swings and roundabouts.

You also have Dartmoor during this week which is good fun but be prepared to crawl in the mud at some point. We didn’t get ready in time so all 60 of us ended up crawling through puddles and freezing cold mud at half 7 in the morning until the DI’s were satisfied.

I didn’t fill my canteen right to the top and thought it would be a good idea to add my energy drink sachet out of my ration pack to it, low and behold it got checked and ended up over my beret and down my back. In pretty much below freezing temps.

You do some map reading and build your tents, cook your scran on the portable cookers and get some kip. On the second day you go for your 20km hike. Things should start to dry up but we had bogs all over the place. And your feet will be killing afterwards so take blister plasters and some tape for your feet.

8 - Now usually you would get a couple nights ashore but due to Covid we had to stay on base the whole time.

This week you spend over the other side of camp learning first aid, saving a doll and doing Havoc which was my favourite part of the course.

You will be crapping yourself going down into that dark room that is literally flooding around you but you just do your best, one of my oppo’s was getting flung about and I couldn’t stop laughing so just enjoy yourselves.

9 - Now week 9 was different for us due to Covid we weren’t sure what was happening we couldn’t go back to the brecon so we just did phys and also found out we were still having a pass out but it would be the MONDAY of week 10 and not the Friday so luckily for us it got us out of our last exercise.

You have a POP meal (Pass Out Parade) but again we nearly didn’t get this due to Covid. You get to dress up and have a couple drinks with your DI’s and sing some karaoke! Finally a chance to just chill out and realise how close you are to the finish line!

10 - For this was pass out day! We didn’t have a full pass out but luckily we still had a chance to do a routine and be filmed so our family and friends could see us back home!

By the end of the 10 weeks you will say it flew. At the start it seems like a never ending mountain.

Stick together as a class and you will smash it, if your struggling make sure you talk to someone. There’s a reason you can’t PVR until after week 4.

It seems like hell to begin with but play the game and do what your told and you will soon find yourself laughing about how tough it once was.

If you have any questions at all bang me a message or slap something in here.

Im now at Collingwood which is a totally different ball game but 10x more relaxed.

However let’s look forward to the day Covid finally disappears so we can all have a couple of beers down the pub and enjoy the summer.
They still do 1.5M run?? I thought it was changed to Beep test.

Maiya02

Midshipman
So after nearly a year I have some updates. I will explain Phase 1 at Raleigh in Covid terms and put a little bit about Phase 2 at Collingwood.

If your date is looming I’m sure your feeling some nerves we all get them, in your first week it is just a blur. You have to sign multiple bits of paperwork and your rushing around without a clue of what’s going on, this is normal.

You will constantly get told how bad you are as a class and you are the worst that has ever been through Raleigh it always happens.

Providing you are in the FB chat for your class you have an edge as you can chat amongst yourselves and get to know each other. If you are not I suggest you join, it makes life a lot easier.

Tips I wish I knew before I went, stick to the kit list you don’t need anything other than what is on there. You can get the odd few bits at the naafi (shop) when you are there.

Only use one towel the whole time you are there and re wash it, fold the other two nice and A4 and leave them in your locker for the two kit musters.

Concentrate on bodyweight exercises before you join, the 4 main exercises you will do are press ups, squats, squat thrusts and burpees (especially burpees) oh and the PTI’s love a sprint on the Astro. If you are doing weights throw them away they will not help you.

On your first week you have the swim test and 1.5 mile run, if you can practice some swimming then do it, it is much harder with a wetsuit on as it absorbs so much water making you weigh twice as much.

During PT sessions don’t move, don’t scratch, don’t blink or you will be down doing press ups. Don’t answer back just yes staff no staff. You will hear the phrase “play the game” believe me just play it and you will all make it through.

Simple things like sewing pins work wonders for getting stones out of your shoes and boots, polish the bottoms of your shoes aswell as it saves time.

The tip to Raleigh is finding shortcuts to things to make your life easier, learning how to iron and fold is a good start before you join.

As we are in the pandemic still it is face masks everywhere, you may miss things during your 10 week programme due to this but you should still get to do most of it and hopefully you get a pass out at the end as not many do at the mo.

Quick run though of each week.

1 - Paperwork. PowerPoint. Paperwork. You meet your div staff and all your other recruits, best thing you can do is get on top of your kit, you get 30 mins phone time Monday - Thursday in the evenings. Then some extra Friday and the Weekends but the quicker you get your kit squared away and understand how to iron and fold to A4 your laughing.

2 - Management get chosen this week usually on the Friday so if your interested make yourself known, I was management and tbh it was just extra stress and you get nothing from it.

You will be introduced to phys hence the need to learn how to iron your PT kit, If it is not up-to scratch you’ll be doing sprints or press ups.

Whenever you are heading to the classroom make sure you have a notepad and pen and your water bottle!

Do not be adrift (late) for anything as a class kick yourselves up the ass and be early, the DI’s say 5 mins before, my class did 10 mins before. You will get beasted for being 10 seconds late. You soon learn.

3 - This is MTU week which means you spend the week working on the SA80 rifle, it is a right laugh, you learn how to strip down the rifle and put it back together again.

After a few days of doing this if you are competent and pass your weapons handling test you get to fire 60 live rounds in different stances which is just awesome.

You won’t do any phys this week so use it to heal up and be ready for the weeks to come.

4 - This is the first tough week, you have to do your first kit muster, so iron and fold everything perfectly A4 and lay it out on your bed, lint roller everything after you have laid it out and check the posters on the walls to make sure it is correct.

By now with all the practice you have been doing you should be experts at folding to A4.

If you pass first time you are flying. Lots of people fail it first time so if you do don’t panic, your oppo’s will get behind you. You have three attempts so smash it the second time.

You also have more phys and pier cellars which is a good laugh. You go off base for 2 days and take part in different leadership tasks, obstacle courses, go for a nice dip in the pond and go for a massive trek the next day.

You get soaked on the first day so make sure you warm up and dry as much as possible by the fire as you will be getting into your dry kit before bed and changing into that hopefully damp kit at 3 in the morning when the DI’s come in with FIRE FIRE FIRE.

The following day is good you take your Bergen and go for a long hike, you see some good views on mine we managed to see a Type 45 in action just off shore and the weather just about held out for us.

5 - A bit of a slow one this week, you spend the week over at the seamanship school, it does drag and isn’t really useful unless you join as a Sea Spec, we couldn’t do much practical because of Covid so it’s lots of power points etc just try not to fall asleep.

You also get to go to Church each Sunday which I forgot to mention, you get to have a sing song and take part in the service if your not religious who cares get involved and sing to your hearts content.

6 - Week 6 is nearly all spent at JP Jupiter Point, this is probably the best week at Raleigh, you go off base again and go down to see the brecon.

You get to have a whizz round on some speedboats and drive some of the smaller ones, the instructors are so chilled and let you take nutty (snacks) so make sure you take advantage of that!

You also get to conduct a man overboard and see the ins and outs of what happens and where. And you see how cosy the racks are. (Beds).

7 - This is the worst week I would say, you have your last kit muster, hopefully you passed the first one first time so you will all be experienced enough to know what is expected.

You have to put out some extra kit for this one but it is easier than the first. If you suck at kit work with your oppo so you can do something for them and they do something for you it’s swings and roundabouts.

You also have Dartmoor during this week which is good fun but be prepared to crawl in the mud at some point. We didn’t get ready in time so all 60 of us ended up crawling through puddles and freezing cold mud at half 7 in the morning until the DI’s were satisfied.

I didn’t fill my canteen right to the top and thought it would be a good idea to add my energy drink sachet out of my ration pack to it, low and behold it got checked and ended up over my beret and down my back. In pretty much below freezing temps.

You do some map reading and build your tents, cook your scran on the portable cookers and get some kip. On the second day you go for your 20km hike. Things should start to dry up but we had bogs all over the place. And your feet will be killing afterwards so take blister plasters and some tape for your feet.

8 - Now usually you would get a couple nights ashore but due to Covid we had to stay on base the whole time.

This week you spend over the other side of camp learning first aid, saving a doll and doing Havoc which was my favourite part of the course.

You will be crapping yourself going down into that dark room that is literally flooding around you but you just do your best, one of my oppo’s was getting flung about and I couldn’t stop laughing so just enjoy yourselves.

9 - Now week 9 was different for us due to Covid we weren’t sure what was happening we couldn’t go back to the brecon so we just did phys and also found out we were still having a pass out but it would be the MONDAY of week 10 and not the Friday so luckily for us it got us out of our last exercise.

You have a POP meal (Pass Out Parade) but again we nearly didn’t get this due to Covid. You get to dress up and have a couple drinks with your DI’s and sing some karaoke! Finally a chance to just chill out and realise how close you are to the finish line!

10 - For this was pass out day! We didn’t have a full pass out but luckily we still had a chance to do a routine and be filmed so our family and friends could see us back home!

By the end of the 10 weeks you will say it flew. At the start it seems like a never ending mountain.

Stick together as a class and you will smash it, if your struggling make sure you talk to someone. There’s a reason you can’t PVR until after week 4.

It seems like hell to begin with but play the game and do what your told and you will soon find yourself laughing about how tough it once was.

If you have any questions at all bang me a message or slap something in here.

Im now at Collingwood which is a totally different ball game but 10x more relaxed.

However let’s look forward to the day Covid finally disappears so we can all have a couple of beers down the pub and enjoy the summer.
Such a good thread! This really helped a lot,thanks so much!! Good luck with the rest of your journey

Latest Threads