Steak

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by castalla, Apr 26, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sorry i know this thread is many many years old, but is there a Chef who remembers the receipe for Steak Jardine. Used to be a recipe for officers in the early 70´s, While iam here is there or is there ever been a recipie book published of traditional Naval recipies, no funny answeres please

2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

So I can't say this then? :oops:

[​IMG]

3. sgtpepperband

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  4. Castalla

I think that the dish which you have in mind is Beef/Steak (À la) Jardinière.

5. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Unless Castalla is thinking in French he or she is probably thinking 'steak Jardine'. No need to intellectualise a thread about scran.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Used to be a recipe for officers? Before my time but I don't recall officers ever being eaten, although I do know a lush QARNNS officer who......

• Like Like x 1
  7. sgtpepperband

Recollections of an unfortunate accident with a rectal thermometer on ward rounds..? :oops:

8. I wouldn't say that my post constituted an attempt to "intellectualise a thread about scran", Seadog.

The usual sources didn't seem to have anything to offer on 'Steak Jardine', but I did find recipes for Beef/Steak Jardinière. It struck me that, if someone didn't speak French, they might hear the name of the dish as 'Steak Jardine', especially if its usage had caused the pronunciation of the end of the word to change.

As it is, I asked someone I know who served as a Chef about 30 years ago and, in his reply to me, he suggested the dish 'Steak Jardinière'.

Not intellectualising at all, rather an attempt to help the poster find exactly what he was looking for. My hope in suggesting another name for the dish was that he would then look at recipes for that and realise that this is what he was looking for, perhaps cook it for himself and enjoy his reminiscences.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

That's telling 'im.

Scran, pah. He'll be calling pudding "duff" next. ^_~

10. Have already prescribed two of these for him...:rofl: chill pill.jpg

11. image.jpg Hope he doesn't !!!!!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  12. I thought the recipe for officers called for a lot more pork than beef.
    As for a book of Naval recipes, I don't know but I believe there are several worthy publications on scatology/coprology.

But then, there's this, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brinestain-Biscuit-Recipes-National-Archives/dp/1905615094

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  13. You're a prick

14. :laughing3:Recognition of one's outstanding qualities is nice, really. Thank you, so much.

Would you like me to reciprocate by giving you directions to the sense of humour shop? :love5:

15. Oh, go on, you loved it.

16. To be serious for a moment, there was a dish generally referred to as Beef Jardine served in the medical mess (wardroom), Haslar. I remember a malevolent old chef, C***s R******y, draining down about how much prep and attention it took only to end up like some sort of, "posh pot mess".
    He was the same malcontent who gave the entire male population of Haslar staff quarters the dog by introducing a novel ingredient into the gyp one lunchtime just because he was pissed off for being trooped for being DOD.

17. I can not find Jardine anywhere. Sol is the closest that I've found.

The sauce for Steak Jardinere is a Demi Glaze, which is equal amounts of brown sauce and brown stock, reduced by half. Unless you are serving it with Lamb or Mutton, in which case you add paprika.

The Jardinere garnish is carrots, turnips, french beans, flageolets, green peas and cauliflower coated in a hollondaise sauce.

Does that sound like what you are looking for?

• Like Like x 1
  18. sgtpepperband

Mmm. If Michelin stars were awarded for brown-flavoured food, Pusser would win every year.