STCW & The Royal Navy

Discussion in 'The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs' started by DemobJob, Jul 12, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi

I am currently carrying out some research on Royal Navy personnel leaving their military career and transposing their military gained qualifications to those that are recognised in the commercial sector.

I am specifically looking at STCW and wondered if any serving or ex-serving Royal Navy personnel could give me their understanding/experience on this subject.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

2. There is quite a comprehensive Defence Instruction on this, available to all to read. If you have access to DII let me know and I'll pass you a link, otherwise I suggest that you make an approach to the Navigation Section of Naval Command HQ.Long and short of it - some (but not all) of your experience can go across, and you may be exempted some (but definitely not all!) of the civilian requirements.
  3. Thanks for your reply, I do not have access to DII so will make the approach suggested.

Thanks again.

4. So STCW doesnt stand for Splash Target CoxsWain then?
  5. A few years ago, the Pompey News published an article in which Capt Neil Rankin remarked rather ruefully that he might be the CO of an aircraft carrier but he still wasn't qualified to drive the Gosport ferry.

I'm so glad that STCW (Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping) eventually came to fruition across the ranks but the alignment of RN and MN qualifications took much too long, especially after a naval BWC (Bridge Watchkeeping Certificate) stopped being the equivalent of a civilian foreign going Master's Certificate (with the addition of some modules on ship stability and cargo lading).

I was also pleased to see the RN aligning with the RYA for boat handling quals although it was pretty galling the first time the duty killick at the Culdrose dinghy park in Falmouth refused me the use of a Bosun dinghy one summer leave when I fronted up with my BRNC tickets for driving an STC (Sail Training Cruiser), Bosun and Lark dinghies, Picket Boat, Whaler, Cutter, Kitchen Rudder, etc. The fact that I was Command qualified with a BWC and ONC (Ocean Navigation Certificate) didn't cut any ice, either. :sad:
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  6. AFG could I have that link please?
  7. hi there,

what you need to do is fill out a MSF 4352 - MCA Letter of Initial Assesment, they will then get back to you and tell you what courses you can be exempt from

8. Is this the badger your looking for?

A very good friend of mine left as a LT CDR, had the following on his CV ;FNO, 1 LT on two Capitol ships, all the warfare gumph as well. He was no better placed (stand fast some advancement, STCW 95 courses and astro nav) to start a new career as some Herbert from school.

I personally went to a warsash open day and it is a long slog to go from RN OOW to the MN equivalent.

Here is a flow diagram&:

Also warsash operate a RN cross over package, nothing two different from the Herbert's course.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  9. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

I last did ISSC 27 months ago, seems like yesterday, and the Personal Survival and Firefighting modules are STCW accredited. The 35 course is I believe accredited for Advanced Firefighting which is what a would be deck or engineer officer MN requires.

The Admiralty Trials Masters are retired naval officers with unlimited Masters certificates so it must be doable. Sir Fabian
    Malbon was one, such if memory serves.
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  10. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

The MSF 4352 is an engineer officer assessment, all non MN cadet routes. I don't see a mention of the Master Race.

There are a few ex RN clanky seniors with STCW Certificates of Competency. Three who I know have Unlimited Chief Engineer (Motor) - usually referred to as Class 1.