Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

STCW basic sea survival certificate

shutter island

Midshipman
Hello, had a look online and cant find the answer im looking for so just seeing if anyone knows here. Im looking to leave the navy and head into superyachts. Stcw 95 basic sea survival is a course thats required to be completed. Is this the same as issc or bssc? From the description it sounds very similar and dont want to spend £800 if ive already got the certificate already. Currently not in the position to ask in work at the moment so any help would be appretiated. Thanks

crash_evans

War Hero
The RN no longer accredits BSSC/ISSC or 35’s to STCW due to the amount it costs. You’d have to do it again I’m afraid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waspie

War Hero
I looked into this when I left in 92!!! Hopefully it's moved on.

From memory, the offshore industry only accepted certificates from selected providers. So any service certification was worthless. (This is the area I hope that has moved on). I 'was' hoping to work offshore as an HLO - (Helicopter Landing Officer). Qualified in all the aviation subjects but when it came to the sea survival - £££££ mega bucks and on top you had to pay for accommodation which pushed the budget!!!

Try contacting the likes of Sunseekers or one of the other super yacht builders, you may get a steer from them! (If you don't ask - you'll never now). In the mean time, I'll ask a buddy who is a SY charter skipper and check his response!!

Again military/civilian quals, morphed over into the medical profession also. When I worked for the Red Cross I had to re-qualify in every area. Bloody frustrating. Airborne quasi paramedic, allowed to incubate and insert lines into casualties yet not even allowed a basic FA certificate!!!! Mind boggling!

Martnet

I did STCW 95 certifications when they were first introduced, and they won't take any substitutes. If your previous quals didn't result in accreditation with an STCW-specific certificate, it won't be accepted, I'm afraid. It's a pain to have to do everything over again, esp since STCW training is pretty basic stuff, but there's no way around it.

It might be worth looking into possibilities of potential employers who will pay for the certification...which is how I managed it

Waspie

War Hero
I did STCW 95 certifications when they were first introduced, and they won't take any substitutes. If your previous quals didn't result in accreditation with an STCW-specific certificate, it won't be accepted, I'm afraid. It's a pain to have to do everything over again, esp since STCW training is pretty basic stuff, but there's no way around it.

It might be worth looking into possibilities of potential employers who will pay for the certification...which is how I managed it
You were lucky. Every single offshore operator declined. I even offered to go 50 - 50!!!!!

Martnet

You were lucky. Every single offshore operator declined. I even offered to go 50 - 50!!!!!
I had slightly different circumstances...by that time I was established in the US tallship industry, so they had to find a way to retain officers who were all ready to jump ship for better-paying jobs

RabC

MIA
I used my resettlement grant for my first BOISET (Oil and Gas) surely that’s what the grant is for? Since then I pay for my renewals, a FOET in November at PETANS in Norwich is £620.

Waspie

War Hero
I used my resettlement grant for my first BOISET (Oil and Gas) surely that’s what the grant is for? Since then I pay for my renewals, a FOET in November at PETANS in Norwich is £620.
Nope, don't understand a word - well the words yes, BOISET, FOET AND PETANS, Nah - I do English and Yiddish!!!:p

buffersduffer

Lantern Swinger
@shutter island

Look up South West Maritime Academy, email / facebook etc, they’re spot on and can answer your questions

I unashamedly recommend them, owned by ex bootneck, he’s a genuinely top bloke and if you need courses their cheaper than Warsash and more fun

Waspie

War Hero
@shutter island. Just had a message from my mate who skippers large SY's. This is his reply.

"He needs STCW95 to work commercially on Superyachts! To crew as watchkeeper he requires Commercial Endorsement of his quals, the RYA website has all the info required. Try the MCA website also!"

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
BFRS STCW 95 Basic Safety Training The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
BFRS STCW 95 Basic Safety Training The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
BFRS STCW Basic Safety Training Week The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 4
H Get STCW 95 and SSO certificate-prepare today your sea career! International 0
DemobJob STCW & The Royal Navy The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 9
MoD_RSS Basic Payment Scheme simplified for farmers MoD News 0
soleil Forces TV: Basic Training At HMS Raleigh: "We Can't Afford To Stop". Bases / Shore Est 7
MoD_RSS Interest rate reductions on the Court Funds Office special and basic accounts MoD News 0
H Basic training rent, submariner rent in faslane Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
MoD_RSS DBS launches new payment option for online basic DBS checks MoD News 1
1 Packages in basic training Nearest & Dearest 11
BreechSpike Basic Training - sailing? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
T basic training Joining the Royal Navy 9
MoD_RSS Here we go! Football fans urged to remember basic rules of road MoD News 0
E HELP with basic information on a marine The Corps 5
MoD_RSS News story: Apple and Google Pay for online basic checks MoD News 0
ShinySideUp June 09th Basic Training?? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
MoD_RSS Press release: 93.4% of Basic Payment Scheme claims paid in December MoD News 0
K basic training easter leave Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
C Raleigh Basic Training Dates Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MoD_RSS News story: Consultation into regulating Basic Digital Skills Qualifications MoD News 0
B Basic Training Advice Joining the Royal Navy 22
B After basic training Joining the Royal Navy 4
W Packages in Basic-yay or nay? Nearest & Dearest 31
P Raleigh Basic Training 15th October?? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
B Anyone joining got PRNC Date as 18th September and Basic Training 5th November? Joining the Royal Navy 5
Genghis PAYD during Basic training Joining the Royal Navy 21
S How far past basic fitness requirements should I aim for? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
P Basic training on the 22nd of Jan Joining the Royal Navy 10
B Basic training for reservists Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
G Basic Training 1989 History 3
H What happens with injuries during basic? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
C Basic Training, What weight bergen do you have to carry? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
R Staring basic training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
S Raleigh basic training Joining the Royal Navy 19
B Basic training Joining the Royal Navy 11
Jake K Basic training Sunday 15th May 2016. Joining the Royal Navy 4
I Basic Training Start Date at HMS Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
Jake K PASSED PRNC, Basic training starting 15th May. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
G Few basic training questions? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
B How long till your basic training after fitness test? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
Sgt Jobsearch Technical Sales Engineer / Account Manager - Chelmsford - £40K - £90K (Basic + Commission) The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch Military Car Sales Executive - Gateshead - £15,000 basic, £30,000 OTE The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch Fire Alarm Service Engineer - West Yorkshire - £24K Basic (£28K - £30K OTE) The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch Rigger Technician (Antennas) - Essex - £19,000 - £23,000 basic + overtime The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch Rigger Technician Team Leader - London - £19,000 - £23,000 basic + overtime The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
S Basic Training nerves Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
Sgt Jobsearch Mechanical Fitter - Heanor - £22,800 basic, OTE £40,000 salary The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
kosta433 Basic Training kit list Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
Sgt Jobsearch HGV Class 2 Driver - Hayes - £23,400 basic (OTE £27,500) The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0