STC

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Asguard, Oct 6, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know this has been talked about before but Im still confused about the STC.Does anyone have information on there roles, who they are and how you join.Any info will be greatly appreciated.

2. Firstly, brush up on your written English. You won't get past the application stage if that is the standard you possess.

3. I will take that into account but do you have any information on it, sounds interesting.

4. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  5. The STC branch is very much akin to the SAS and SBS, a very silent service and information is on a need to know basis. Most STC pilots/coxns are recruited from those who have already joined the RN and proved that they have the ability to perform for this stressful and complex role.l

• Like Like x 1
  6. I did the briefing course regarding STC a while back and failed. The physical requirements are exceptional high hence the high drop out rate. I managed to complete the course but as I said failed on the phys and recognition tests.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I got asked in for the initial interview but couldn't find the door.

Damn, they're secretive!

• Like Like x 2
  8. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I left the RN because they wouldn't let me go STC :(

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

9. Lady sailors rarely make the grade, at speed when they part their legs to stabalise the vessel water rushes into their lady bits and acts as a sea anchor or drogue. Tests have shown that (depending on the size of the lady bits) the vessels speed can be reduced by as much as 10%

10. exJenny

No it wasn't for that reason; my tits got in my line of sight. Too dangerous

• Like Like x 3
  11. I once had the privilege of witnessing the STC conduct a 'wet op' and realised I wasn't in the same league.

12. exJenny

It's a selection process and only the very best succeed. Get through basic and pt 2 training before even thinking of STC. They'll find you don't worry! Hope you are more successful than me

13. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Many are called but few are chosen.

I worked with a few of their JTAC equivalents after Op Granby. Put it this way, being bloody good at your job isn't good enough for those boys.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I thought about it once, however I also thought about doing the field gun.

Madness pure madness!!!

15. Operation Scotchbrite?

• Like Like x 1
  16. I did the aptitude test in singers in 65, but decided to go into submarines instead, didn't know until it was too late that most boats carried 2 STC's. Unfortunately because I had said no once, they wouldn't let me have another go. But boats SSP was almost as much as STC's SSP, so i didn't dip out much.

17. This is one of only a very few images featuring STC (Burma Squadron) taking part in a multi-national counter terrorism exercise. The exercise was conducted in real time and without the knowledge of the country in which it was carried out (hostage release, terrorist neutralisation and extraction ops). These exercises are rarely captured on film, or photographed and if they are - procedures are in place to ensure that all media is controlled (i.e destroyed at source or removed for reasons of national security).

[​IMG]

(As you can see - this area is not what you would deem to be a military training site, but a well known holiday destination that could be a prime target for a terrorist attack. The attack on the shopping centre in Kenya highlights the vital importance of this type of exercise.)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  18. Such a shame that other SF (of any nation) no longer seem to attach the same priority to secrecy as the STC.

• Like Like x 1
  19. (My previous post).

I forgot to mention that Burma Sqn was employed in the role of the terrorists, which caused this particular joint venture to last almost twice as long as was originally planned.
    There were no fatalities on the "Friendlies" side, but quite a few of the participating forces were hospitalised before someone yelled "Check Check Check!"

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  20. To the OP, I know these aren't the answers you're looking for, but a real STC, will not divulge anything about the nature of the job, you probably won't even know they are an STC.

Would a serving SAS bloke, tell you he was SAS?

The first test is proving you have the motivation and intelligence to locate the people in the branch, it's not the other way around. No one will hand you the details on a plate.

Billy I thought that phot was still classified after the whole Ivory Coast thing?

• Like Like x 1