Stay on the merchant path or go boats

Wee-lad

Midshipman
I'll jump straight to the question, I am currently half way through a merchant navy engineer cadetship and I am due to finish on 2020 with a HND in marine engineering and an EOOW CoC.
For some reason I have an inkling to go to the RN as an ME(SM) but I am stuck between doing that or staying merchant as I know sea time on RN ship's or boats doesn't count towards the sea time on the Certificate of competency.

Any advice would be appreciated, just wondering what everybody's two cents on this is.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

fishhead

War Hero
Common sense says finish your current course and see if you still feel the same about being a submariner.

Seadog

War Hero
I know sea time on RN ship's or boats doesn't count towards the sea time on the Certificate of competency.
In the case of ‘boats’ not even a ‘Steam’ CoC.

If and when you qualify, apply to the RFA. If and when you are successful, blag a trip on a ‘boat’ and if you like the idea of going from Officer to Rating, leave the RFA and apply to join the RN and boats in particular.

Good luck.

Wee-lad

Midshipman
Thanks for the reply fishhead and seadog, think I will be going to the RFA after I qualify and I will take it from there.

Wee-lad

Midshipman
If it came across as such on my last reply then my bad for not communicating properly, I never said I was entitled to join the RFA and I realize it's not just a case of " I choose to work for you" i know there's and process and they actually have to be recruiting, so when the time comes I will give it a bash and see how I get on( that's hoping that they will be needing engineers in 2020)