Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stay at home dad?

drewfester

Lantern Swinger
Leaving the mob in just over a year, got a new (18 days old) baby now and wondering what my options are.
Been talking with Mrs DF and once we pay off al our loans credit cards etc we will still have quite a sum of gratuity left and the income of my pension. Mrs DF is better paid and we are thinking of me becoming full time stay at home dad whilst Mrs DF stays in work (only does 3 days at the office a week so I could do part time work)
Anyone doing this or tried it? Are there advantages (no child care to pay etc) or disadvantages (stuck in the house a lot) that make it a really good or bad idea. We will look seriously when I have just 6 months left to go.
Any thoughts anyone?

soleil

War Hero
Congratulations on the new baby, Drewfester, that's wonderful news.

Attachments

• baby-girl-luxury-basket.jpg
    baby-girl-luxury-basket.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
G

guestm

When my brother was laid off by the local council 2 years ago he tried it for a while and very quickly got stir crazy, fat and very, very bored. 6 months later he was back in a new office.

That said, they are in the fortunate position of my sister in laws retired mother living just around the corner and looking after the two boys 2 days a week and bringing down the childcare costs now he is working again.

He ******* hated it.

trelawney126

War Hero
Congratulations.
Not wishing to dole out advice, there are advantages to your plan.
1.The tax man wont get as much out of you.
2. It will give your misses a break from the baby and will allow your more premium time to spend and bond with your child.
3 . You know the baby will be safe something you cannot be sure of with other childcare arrangements.
4. A lot less stress for both you and the misses, just don't forget to feed the mite as I once did.
5. Think you may get a tax break if you work for no more than 16hrs a week.
Whatever you decide don't get Finks to be a Godparent

y

G

guestm

I'll look after it, kids love me. They think my gash tats are hilarious and are the only beings who find my dits amusing.

drewfester

Lantern Swinger
Sorry MLP, I have my own gash tats that I will have to explain to my daughter when she asks, may cover one and put her name in instead. Gash dits I have loads too :):)
Just something me and Mrs DF are thinking about, I have. Big workshop so I have room to do my stuff and have a toddler with me, once she's toddling :))
Soleil, thank you!!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Coronavirus: Government launches campaign urging people to stay at home this Easter MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Don’t be a Space Invader: stay safe, stay back MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Stay safe around the River Thames MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Stay safe on your staycation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Stay safe around rivers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Stay safe around rivers: warning as lockdown eased and temperatures soar MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Stay safe around rivers, warns Environment Agency MoD News 0
P Leave or Stay Nearest & Dearest 1
MoD_RSS Red Arrows to stay in Lincolnshire following RAF Scampton closure MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Bosnia and Herzegovina must stay committed to progress MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DVLA warns customers to stay safe online MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Business Secretary appeals to everyone to stay calm and carry on the good work MoD News 0
MoD_RSS #StayAtHome and stay safe MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Environment Agency urges communities to stay vigilant MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Flood risk: Environment Agency warns communities to stay vigilant MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chinooks to stay in Mali to help in fight against violent extremism MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Cash here to stay as government commits to protecting access MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Stay safe this Easter in and around the Thames MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Spinning experiment may help long stay hospital patients MoD News 0
Wee-lad Stay on the merchant path or go boats Joining the Royal Navy 7
MoD_RSS Press release: 7 tips for motorists to stay safe online MoD News 0
Rum_pot How long can you stay in the royal navy? Joining the Royal Navy 32
MoD_RSS Press release: Millions awarded to help people with health conditions stay in work MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Stay Safe Abroad this Summer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Minister announces helicopter work will stay in the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Improved mail service ensures loved ones can stay in touch MoD News 0
Bad CO Retd Koninklijke Marine Officer Looking to stay in Pompey Social & Reunions 10
A HMS collingwood places to stay? Nearest & Dearest 3
T Lb Dems are alone: Labours new Shadow Defence Secretary say four boats will stay Current Affairs 0
T Where to stay at Torpoint Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
MG Maniac Couples who stay marriedfor seven years likelyto stay married for good. Diamond Lil's 3
T Petition to stay in UK. Current Affairs 29
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Nuclear subs will stay in Scotland, Royal Navy chiefs decide Submariners 7
soleil Mens Health: "The Crew Of HMS Turbulent Stay Fit In The World’s Smallest Gym" Submariners 4
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Navy frigates to stay at Devonport and Portsmouth bases Current Affairs 3
soleil BBC: "Navy Frigates To Stay At Devonport And Portsmouth Bases" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil Herald: "Cameron: Devonport To Stay 'Proper' Naval Base" Bases / Shore Est 0
8 Harrier to stay Current Affairs 10
Oscaig Places to stay Nearest & Dearest 7
soleil Courier (Scot): "Illustrious stay makes 330 jobs safe" The Fleet 0
The_Jimmy Stay Behind The Yellow Line Current Affairs 3
chipaz still able to stay in after transplant Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Oil_Slick T23's to stay in service for 32-36 years The Fleet 18
N Removal of thread "How Long Can a Sub Stay down" Submariners 2
J Should they stay or should they go now Diamond Lil's 18
brazenhussy would you stay friends with an EX Diamond Lil's 24
spider_monkey SoS for Defence - stay or go? Current Affairs 30
L stay green, stay in the woods, and stay safe Diamond Lil's 67
copenhagencup Should I stay I should I go now. Diamond Lil's 17
I What makes you stay in the RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 29