Stay as RNR or transfer to URNU?

Hi all, looking for some advice.

I’m currently an AB2 in the RNR and have recently passed out of Phase 1 training. I am starting university in September and doing medicine. My goal long term is to do a medical cadetship and then join the regulars as a medical officer.

I have a few months to make the decision, but do I choose to stay in the RNR as a rating and then do my officers summertime next year (I have been told this is an option) or do I join the URNU? What’s the best for me, in your opinion? Will I have any advantages against other URNU members as I have already passed out as a rating? Or is it the same?

slim

War Hero
I have been out since Nelson popped his clogs however I think my advice would be to transfer to the URNU
This should prepare you for your ultimate goal of Medical officer.
However if you decide to stay in the RNR as a rating you will have seen both sides of the service which I believe can reflect on your attitude towards ratings later.

I have been out since Nelson popped his clogs however I think my advice would be to transfer to the URNU
This should prepare you for your ultimate goal of Medical officer.
However if you decide to stay in the RNR as a rating you will have seen both sides of the service which I believe can reflect on your attitude towards ratings later.
Thanks for your reply. Do you happen to know wether I would be able to skip parts of the URNU syllabus that I have already done? I know URNU promotion is based off of time done.

slim

War Hero
Thanks for your reply. Do you happen to know wether I would be able to skip parts of the URNU syllabus that I have already done? I know URNU promotion is based off of time done.
No idea, it's a different navy to the one I was in.
You will need to talk to some of the younger geezers.

Branch-Hopper

War Hero
No, I have asked to do one and they’ve said I need to wait and should have the opportunity to do the Accelerated Officers Course next summer. Though I can do that through the URNU as well.
I don't see how you can be offered a place on AOP if you don't have an AIB pass.

If I have this right, then - you are going to university in September, but have not been offered an AOP until summer 2023? I think my decision would be based around geography - can you still do RNR whilst at university? But there are a number of other factors;

a) How much does getting out of square rig mean to you?
b) What do you want to do with your time between terms?
c) The URNU, frankly get the best of both worlds - lots of playing about on the P2000's without any commitment; still get paid, still get a small bounty. No liability for call-up.

Not knowing anything about you, these questions are always difficult. I'd probably stick lower deck, get an AIB under your belt, then go back to the URNU on a " loan draft" for the last four years of your degree. You would then be an RNR officer with all the benefits of an URNU Cadet.

I'm happy to chat further in PM, as answering too many questions will mess your PERSEC, if you need anything further.

...and I am sorry to hear that you are Glum! :)

Manny

Badgeman
I would suggest you stay in the RNR if you can to the AOP, and then transfer to the URNU. My son is an Army Doctor, and he completed the AR officer training before switching to a Medical Cadetship. It really gave him a head start when he arrived at Sandhurst as a Doctor, and helps him when dealing with soldiers in the field that he had previously been an infantry officer.

If you are not able to do the AOP, then switch immediately to the URNU where at the very least you will get to sea and have fun.