state funereal ?

Discussion in 'History' started by wompingwillow, Oct 13, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

I met this guy at our last remembrance Sunday, he made a big point of talking to me because i had my grandads first world war medal very proudly displayed

I can't descried how humbling it was to meet such a man, just to shake his hand ( after (even being in civilian instructor uniform) saluting him))

He received a honorary degree from the uni of Bath and again made a point of being there...............don't care how sad I sound he is a connection to the past I or anyone else will ever had and jack straws excuse not to give him a state funeral ( or the last reconsigned tommy ) is that we can't prove that they are the last................

I say even if for the next 5 years we have to ( and I mean contributions from websites like theses) have to pay for a state funeral for men like him you'd get more than enough.
  2. That article really puts things into perspective, especially when you get people who whine about conditions in the service today.
    I suppose you coule re read an article like this the next time you drip cos you have to get up early to fly to singapore for a job or drip cos you have to sign in for drill night or drip cos you don't get enough harmony time.
  3. I agree. It also reminds me of how right you were Lingy when you commented about nations being only land. Land with different groups of people on it all struggling in their own way, in the context of their own cultural values, to survive and make the best of life - with politicians/military rulers mis/using their power for their own ends at the cost of other people's lives.
  4. With all due respects, sod the state funeral I'd rather have the P.U. before I go - if it's your funeral you miss all the good bits as you can't see much out of the box!

But yes I know what you mean - but lets give these people a better final few years without deprivation and want, after all thats what they all went to war about (?) wasn't it - so no one would have to suffer anymore?

go on say something! I dare you (applies to 'ex' only- they know what I'm on about)!

5. Never really knew much about the First World War --they never taught it in school either.
    I now know quite a bit about it ----------the casualties numbers were disgusting. Generals who regarded a battle as won due to the high casualty numbers----ground advanced and kept usually about half a mile.No tactical advantages just a 'seen to be doing something' attitude.

Generals at that time couldn't take in the advance of technology ,machine guns especially. They still advanced in line --good for moral---be killed with your buddy!!

By 1917 the country and the commonwealth had all but run out of conscripts----and people were beginning to ask questions . The event of the USA joining forces with us in Europe saved a few Generals arrses.

If you ever see a book called 'Butchers and Bunglers WW1 ' suggest having a read.
  6. dunno about ww1 but have met a lot of the guys from ww2 who were there and have collected a raft of medals from various countries for what they've done. it does bring a tear to my eye when I see how they are treated by the general populace.

there is NO doubt, there CAN be no doubt I have spoken to them, the genuine humility of these people, the service they have given and the freedom they have provided us. There is nothing but gratitude that we can give those who survived, and nothing but honour we can give those who gave their lives.

The stories I have heard from these guys/girls even with the matelot inflation :lol: make my spine run cold, and I try and imagine myself faced with the choices they were and they all, without exception, come out higher in my, already high, regard for thier actions.

Yes they should have a state funeral, yes they should have the recognition of a lifetime in service and yes they should have the respect due to them for allowing us to live the life we do today.

here endeth the lesson. :oops:
  7. Hey guys I'm not saying they shouldn't have a state funeral (even tho' most of em wouldn't want one!) what I am saying is lets make their last few years a bit better than their first few! Their mates are going down fast and furious same as before (not much we can do about that!) but at least lets make the going a little easier - next time you see an old soldier (sailor or airman) (no matter how old!) stand aside, give him room he's done his time and a little respect helps too! the one thing that gets me really going is when you keep getting headlines like "76 year old veteran beaten up by young thugs and five pounds stolen from from him - all he had in the world". A little bit of education wouldn't go amiss, after all he probably put his life on the line so these young thugs can be what they are - somewhere someone is still doing it (a lot of the subscribers to this forum) will they be the statistics of tomorrow! God I hope not!
  8. Oh dear, George is going to be a tawt. How can I say this without offending you. Ok, here we go ........

I sat in a pub one Sunday afternoon with an old sailor who knew my Dad and my uncle Jacky.

He explained that both of them were RN, both of them did the Atlantic, Malta and Russian convoys. Both of them died and neither got fcuk all for their pains.

My old man was a Leading Cook and my uncle Jacky was a DEMS gunner. I would be really proud to stand alongside both of them during the November ceremonies, but guess what. It won't happen. Medals are nice and they shine, but when you don't get one so what. Not every one is a winner.