Starts Midnight Wednesday

Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by bigbaddog, Jun 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. At Midnight Wednesday, it is my avowed intent to Quit Smoking.
    Messages of encouragement will be most welcome as I will be
    going FU**ING MENTAL!!!
    Was going to start on 1st July, but thought, balls - bring it
    forward........Read my blog (here) on the horrors of going
    "Cold Turkey", as and when I have the mental capability
    to post anything. :whew: This is going to be fun...........

(A couple of *No Smoking* reminders:)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Give it a go. My advice don't panic, just a step at a time .. I've been 18 months without smoking and got very little encouragement from the guy I was going out with at the time.

I tried about 10 times before I went Cold Turkey - lozenges are useless IMHO

Chewing gum is great, find some you like and carry 20 packets, strong mints too. My massive cravings didn't kick in until about 4 days in.

My reason for stopping was that I couldn't breathe properly. I lost loads of weight when I was smoking heavily (up to 40 a day sometimes).

Good luck with this - feel free to PM me if you want - hey think how much nicer you will be to kiss when not smoking. Perhaps all the women on RR could give you a snog if you can keep it up?

I'd be more than willing but I am very old (50 soon)

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

:hump: :hump: :hump: :hump: :hump: :hump: :hump: :hump:

:thumright: :thumright: :thumright: :thumright: :thumright: :thumright: :thumright: :thumright: :thumright: :thumright: :thumright:

love
    GRx

3. Obliged GR. :thumright:

Midnight tonight! Got one of those little plastic artificial fag things to
    chew on, plus a bagful of Extra Strength Mints. I'm going to be a
    bastard to work with for the first few days/nights (no change there
    then). Its the Final Countdown. ^_^;

4. hey baddog.. you will be fine......... think of all the fun things that you can get away with whilst your givin up... like.. you [email protected] to your boss.... then sayin oops im going cold turkey... cant help it... or jus bein extra grumpy.. then seein how many people cringe when you come in a room..
    gota have some fum with it....
    can always PM us girlies fr support... i gave up years ago.. and Goldie is also doin well.......

please tell us that its you and not spike thats givin up.. as i see he has learnt how to use the comp now........

5. Cheers Josie,

Spike's just a perv...caught him trawling www.doggy-fashion.com.
    I'm going to have to get him "done".
    Off to work.....last few fags - then start clearing my lungs.. :laughing8:

6. BBD, I kicked it nearly 4 years ago. Best thing I ever did and easier than I thought it would be. I was 20+ a day and had been voted least likely to quit by my oppos.
    Good luck mate - as GR says, one day at a time. Just think: £5.50 a day soon adds up.
    DE

7. I managed to stop when I lit my last fag and my Zippo ran out of fuel so I thought why not quit.
    It was agony for the first two weeks and then ok.That was 21 years ago.
    Best of luck.

8. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I went the mint route when I quit in the mid 1970's, addicted to them now you just can't win o_O o_O o_O

9. Good luck BBD. You can do it!
    Here's some of the things that can happen to you when you give up:

You get food cravings.
    [​IMG]

You might turn to something else instead.
    [​IMG]

But if you don't stop you could stunt your growth.
    [​IMG]

Above all remain calm.
    [​IMG]

10. [​IMG]

21:15 gmt - less than 3 hours to *Zero Tolerance Hour*
    This isn't a wind-up - no patches, Zantac or Nicotinel, and
    I shall stick to me guns...otherwise this thread will be a waste
    of time! Thanks for the words of encouragement. Arcadain
    DID threaten an unspeakable sex-act in the chat-room 'tuther night
    if I failed in my mission....which was enough incentive for anybody
    believe me! 36 YEARS of tabbin' (22 in RN - 14 as a civvy).
    I am now going to get FIT and go from THIS:

[​IMG]

To THIS:

[​IMG]

(My warped SOH shall prevail!) BBD
    p.s. The top one 'aint me.....honest.

11. eeeee thats just gross...he needs something to take the swelling down
    here's a pic for you baddog...

[​IMG]

12. BBD Good luck mate, I gave up in January, not a resolution just thought "this is fecking daft." and did it. Had an old pack of Nicorete gum (And I'm talking years not months!!) and chewed that for a week and so far so good.
    Best of luck, don't beat yourself up too much if you waver, nicotine is more addictive than Heroin, just keep striving :thumright: ^_^; ^_^; :thumleft:
    NZB

13. [​IMG]

I feel better already. ^_^;

14. How's it going now Dog? Anyone still speaking to you?

15. 14:15 GMT

Had a kip after the Night Shift....got up.....and no - no demented
    craving for a ciggie as yet.........what's good about this is that I
    haven't told the wife I've actually STOPPED....want to see how long
    it takes for her to notice I'm not outside the kitchen door puffing
    away like a good'un!.

Watch this space. BBD :stop:

16. Well done BBD.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. 13:00 GMT
    [​IMG]
    You've heard of the Tooth Fairy - well, the Nicotine Nymph must have visited me in the night, because I woke up this morning and coughed my guts out. It's probably my lungs rebelling. I can hear them yelling, "OYY - WHERE'S OUR MORNING CHEMICAL COCKTAIL THEN YOU BASTARD!"
    Well, they didn't get any and I must admit that I still don't fancy a smoke, which is a bit strange seeing as I was smoking for nigh on 36 years. My wife STILL hasn't cottoned on to the fact that I 'aint had a ciggy in almost a "whole day". Now for the psychological bit -
    I have, on numerous occasions said "I am going to quit smoking...blah-blah-blah", to which the answer has always been, "Yep - heard THAT before". (Cut to Garden Shed - clouds of luvverly smoke billowing out of the door - me hiding 20 Mayfair and a lighter behind boxes of powertools!) .....stupid twat! Your breath chucks up, your clothes smell and my wife started to wonder why I was suddenly addicted to Extra Strength Head-Blowing mints - which I ate by the packetful.
    Then I type *Starts Midnight Wednesday* and inform any any/every reader of RR (Gash Barge) Threads of my intention to give up the Demon Weed......and f**k me - I've stopped!
    Okay - it's only been one day, but as Chairman Mao Tse Tung once said "Every journey starts with a single step"
    We shall see :biggrin:

18. You may find it gets bad round about day 3 - happened to me every time. Still you learn more about yourself every time.

Just posting this to give you a big virtual HUG

GR
    x :hug:

19. What has tickled me is the quit smoking ads that ended with the tag line...

'NHS Smoking help line'

Brrp Brrp ,,Brrp Brrp'' Good morning, NHS smoking help line...how can I help ?''
    '' I am 14 and have just started smoking, I get through about 10 Silk Cut a day, is this ok''

'' No , you should be on Capstan Full Strength, real chest cutters..and at least 40 a day''
    ''Thanks for the advice, I will switch today''

One week later...

Brrp Brrp ''Good morning, NHS smoking help line..how can I help''

'' I phoned a week ago and you recommended that I smoke 40 Capstan Full Strength a day, cough cough ....I have tried these and I think I need more of a ' hit'...any thoughts ?''

''Ok...I can see your problem, personaly I smoke a pipe between cigs and
    it works for me, an ounce of St Bruno a day should do the trick''

'' Thanks again ''