Starting next month, but gained weight...

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by puballday, Dec 8, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, i start at raleigh in january 15th, however i have gained a bit of weight since my medical. Im concerned, i am 5ft 7 and gone from 13 stone 8 (which got me through medical) to 15 stone 6!
    Obviously its just dawned on me that i need to stop eating altogether and do 1000 calorie workouts everyday, but still, i need to ask... What happens if i get to raleigh and im overweight? Will i get booted out day one and sent home? It would be terrible to give up the job i've had for over 11 years just to get booted out on day one for weight issues!
    Please i need advice urgently!

EDIT: im 5ft 10 (177cm) NOT 5ft 7, so im actually taller than i thought (and they said 177cm on medical)!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  2. Are you serious? Posted at 3am, this has got to be a.......Ok I'll bite

I'll presume you're not concerned with having put on a shit ton of muscle so, a BMI of 34 puts you quite comfortably (pun intended) in the obese category. I have no idea If they will keep you even if you're still able to pass all the physical tests. I doubt it.

You have just over a month to lose around 2 stone. Get jogging fatty.

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Hmmn, spidey senses are tingling on this one.

However, it does genuinely happen, so to cover all angles: Talk to your AFCO now, defer entry so someone else can have the training place & don't give up your day job.

4. Don't worry about losing 2/ 3 stone, just grow 6"

• Like Like x 1
  5. You must speak to your CA when the AFCO opens first thing this morning, not only for your own sake but for that of the other candidates who are waiting for that space. Flagging up the problem now allows someone else to be told this week that there may be a chance of starting in January and it gives that person time to do whatever they might need to do eg give a month's notice to an employer.

I would suggest that you find a WeightWatchers class in your area as well. With a surplus two stone, you are in a position to nip your weight gain in the bud and turn it around without too much difficulty. If you let this slide, especially with Christmas on the horizon, you could end up with more pounds to shift.

By the way, have you done the PRNC?

6. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Dont stress, The Navy/Marines/Army* has PTI's, you're their wet dream. Fcuksake, make them earn their wages. They do sod all apart from gaze into mirrors, go "tup, three' and gossip about hair gel all day so make them earn their wages. Good effort, shows independent thinking on your part.

* RAF not included because they have personal trainers and do yoga and shit.

7. You better get a shift on and put yourself through as much pain as possible with as much weight loss training you can find. Eat better food instead of junk, stay of the booze. Even if you are on the larger side at least make sure you can leg it round the 1.5miler in a decent time. Then you might have a chance!

8. Go somewhere foreign and get dysentry, guaranteed quick weight loss.

9. Thanks guys, just to clarify my post at 3am, this is due to my current shift patterns...
    If i was able to get to say below at least 15 stone and become 14 something, do you think this will be ok? What I am wondering is do they automatically discharge people on week 1 for being a bit over weight or is a little over usually ok? Im not sure how strict they are about it ans was wondering...
    Im going to ring my afco but im afraid they might pull my joining date and screw my chances of joining. I just dont know what to do :(

10. puballday

When did you do your PRNC?

11. ok just to answer your question, yeah i've done my PRNC, had final pre joining brief and everything... I did the PRNC end of october

12. Ninja_Stoker

Unless someone crept up on you and stuffed pies & beer down your throat as you slept, it's unlikely you were unaware of the weight gain.

Those joining Raleigh overweight or unable to pass the fitness requirements are usually discharged in the first week. Travel is at the individual's expense & in most cases re-entry is not an option in the short term.

Therefore, deferring entry if unable to meet the entry criteria with regard BMI & physical fitness parameters is a better, swifter option.

13. ok, i'll be brutally honest and yes i let myself go a little regarding diet and exercise, but if i just did 1 hour or so running 5-6 days a week and cut everything out and went to salad/veg and lean meat like i did before, if i lost say 3-4 pound a week and got to around 28-29 BMI will that be ok?

14. Ninja_Stoker

Raleigh have stated quite clearly, due to high "wastage" that any reservations with regard an individuals' suitability to commence recruit training should result in a withdrawal of the provisional offer of service.

Whilst every sympathy is afforded, this will have been made very apparent by your AFCO & again on PRNC

Reservation bells are-a-jangling with a ding-dong-merrily-on-high imminent, unfortunately.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ring your AFCO is the best bet. Yes they could put your date back, but is that bad news? Well if they put it back its probably cause they think you will fail week 1. If you don't ring your AFCO and you fail week 1 you could be looking at a longer wait to get in.

They might not put your date back, but in my own opinion i think that's you best bet. Why you have left it so late i don't know but you will learn from your mistakes.

Good luck.

16. That's got to be the quote of the year from Chico as he's made a career of failing.

17. ok guys thanks for your advice, i just come back from a 6 mile run lol but have work now, so i will ring them first thing in morning, or go in see them. How long do you think they will put my date back for? And also if i see them and then i manage to loose a load of weight from now till then do you think i could still go in january?
    Cheers!

18. Only the AFCO can tell you that, anything said on here will be pure speculation and wild guesses.

19. Actually one bit of detail i got slightly wrong, im 5ft 10, not 5ft 7! just measured myself again and they told me i was 177cm and that rings a bell when i had medical... Ah well, its something at least. 14 and half stone and im out of obese stone, so if i can lose just under s stone from now until 15 january... Hmm, i may be ok :s

20. Ninja_Stoker

Nothing can beat duff info, incorrect data and a big slice of worry to spur you on :blank:

Your AFCO are the ones to speak with sooner rather than later.