Starting as 3\O (E) soon

Discussion in 'RFA' started by panda&naynay, Aug 4, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good day all, I'm new to this forum. I have just got my security clearance through, and am waiting on my start date coming through.
    I just have a couple of questions before starting, just so I know what to expect.
    1, are engineers mostly on watches, or going ums?
    2, when on day work, what are the working hours?
    3, What is it like for smokers onboard, are you allowed to smoke in the bar and your cabin, or is it like my last company, where your confined to ibe room (usually a cupboard somewhere)?

I'm sure I'll have more questions when since I think of them

2. 1. 60:40 watches/UMS.
    2. 0800-1000, 1030-1200, 1300-1500, 1530-1700.
    3. smoking prohibited in all internal spaces. Permitted on a designated area of the upper deck only.

3. Thanks mate.

Do you get sent on many courses? During my interview they mentioned about doing a course at Dartmouth and getting trained for maintaining the weapons. Are there any other courses they might want to send me on?

4. There are loads of courses, both naval and commercial. Ask your appointer for a list.

5. How soon do you start getting paid after you say your ready to start?
    I've been told as soon as you say your ready to start, they put you on the payrole? Is this true?
    Does the course at brnc need to be completed before you join a ship?
    What does the course involve?

6. After you say? No idea. I would suggest you are likely to start getting paid on the date specified as the commencement of your contract. I know of some who have been on pay for many months before being sent to a ship.

No.