Start Writing - The RRPedia (wiki) needs your genius!

Discussion in 'Site Issues' started by Good_CO, Nov 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The words you spend so much time writing will quickly drift out of the limlight in the forums - they're very well suited for latest news and discussion but not the storage and presentation of your true genius.

Please have a look at the RR wiki, the RRPedia, (links above) and write an article about your experiences, base, ship, naval sland, naval equipment, anything else - anything that would be of interest to others.

User registration is separate from the main site, but instant. Please use the same username there as here. It's not quite as simple as posting here, but the results are well worth it. If you need convincing, have a good browse around the ARRSEPedia.

This is the same system used by Wikipedia, and if everyone contributes a bit the results are outstanding. The wiki is the most underused part of the site, with the most to offer.

Finally I apologise once again for killnig the RRPedia just as it was getting going a few months ago.

Any questions, post here, ot try the ARRSEPedia Tutorial

2. Hi all,
    I've started a category on Jack Speak. However my mind is old, my memory fades and I cannot remember all the lingo.

When you've created a page, put at the bottom [[category: Jack Speak]] and it will added automaticaly.
    Cheers

3. But "Norman" who seems to me to talk a lot of sense is unwelcome.
    Why?

4. Poor Winsk!

5. I don't know what you're talking about shippers.

Ta! Thingy :p

7. Bowline,
    could you please let me know how I have upset you or Norman?

'Shippers' by the way, is a freindly banter/joshing type address to an individual whom you don't know.

8. It's no help that there is no easy / obvious link to the Wiki, it should at the least be in one of the dropdowns, preferably under 'Rum Ration'.

9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

NMC: As GCO stated, the link is at the top of the page, between "Free Rum Ration" and "My Account"...

10. I can see that, but the word 'Wiki' is not included so making it not so obvious.

RRwiki would be better than RRpedia - sounds like a forum for smallie girls.

11. What I'd like to see is for someone to start a page in a book here,on any subject re.the RN/RM and for other members to continue with it every day[we need someone to work it out who knows these things] and in a year we will have a 365 page book!
    Sell them for the heroes fund[I'll buy one as I'm sure others will]
    Some clever sod could write a good interesting first page and go from there.
    Won't happen but I'd like to see it just for the humour of our members.
    Make it as rancid and foul as you like,we all love Jack humour.

12. It's so long since I last contributed that I've forgotten how to create a new entry. :oops:

Specifically I want to know how to transfer an entry from the Sandbox to a live file. I have written an entry for Royal Navy:Jackspeak under the heading Brownhatters. I intend to add references to the Golden Rivet (and the RR one too :) ) & Rugmunchers later (hopefully with help from Slim, RR's resident expert on the activities of Rugmunchers ;) )

I have read the AARSEpedia tutorial and am still baffled.

PS: I did remember to log in to RRpedia first, but am still stuck.

PPS: Can we have a residential course in the future: COsPedias: How to Edit and Contribute: An Idiot's Guide

13. The RRpedia definately needs a good bit of input. When I can be arsed I'll give it a shot. Is it acceptable to put RR'rs in there and completely assassinate them?

14. Pte Golden is in AARSE......

You can defame anyone in RR just so long as it isn't me and you put in your name so the COs don't end up in court being sued for defamation. In short no: nothing unless it light humoured. Eg:

X.R.D

The architypical Bootneck. You wouldn't want to be without one in a tight place or difficult situation. XRD is to Royals what the Victorinox is to penknives.

Thingy

A civvy, sailor mad, Ganges obsessed nutter who can be a pain in the proverbial. Don't drop your soap when showering with him! :biggrin:

15. Sweet, I think I'll give it a go. Now how the fcuk do I do it?