Start Date......

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by corvella82, Jun 6, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone is going through the same process as myself or someone who would be able to give me some info/advice.

I am going through the recruitment process to become an AC. I have had my interview, medical and PJFT. I am now just waiting to take my FATs and gain Security Clearance.

I was just wondering what waiting times are like at the moment to commence the 10 week Basic Training. My application is now nearly 2 years old so my AFCO Officer says that I should be at the top of the list for the next date and it could be October?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!
  2. Are you asking for confirmation that your AFCO is telling the truth? Don't tell me off mods, I can't quite see the question here.
  3. That isn't a definite date, it's just a rough date. I'm more interested in if people are going through the same process as me & what waiting were / are like.

Are you an AC?

4. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

If you've been told it's October then it probably is October. There aren't many entry dates for AC.

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex-wren. Don't blame me if it all goes tits up.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

It's a trick question, to test your IQ.

According to the 'Mornington Crescent' Moscow Riot Regulation No. 172.1(e) para. 3(iii), "October" is AFCO Code for Wednesday - but if anybody asks, you didn't hear it from me, okay..?
  6. I'm joining next Sunday 15th as AC, or I was until I was informed by my CA this week that he'd forgotten that I had to undergo an additional medical (aircrew)
    i underwent it today and should get the result next week. A major balls up that has caused me no end of worry and stress.
    I've been waiting 3 years, which makes it worse.
    Good luck :)
  7. How did you find your FATs? Why did you need an additional medical? Thanks!
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Not good, I fully sympathise. The rules are governed by the RAF and the current version is that AC need an IAME after FATs, prior to entry. The medical is booked by AIB, although to be honest I couldn't even tell you why an Aircraft Controller needs an initial aviation medical examination. Either way, I sincerely hope you successfully meet your entry date.

As an aside - why did it take three years to get a start date? Was everything completed without delays?
  9. I was prescribe one if those annoying inhalers which I never once used :(
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Presumably, that significantly delayed your eligibility. Hopefully you have no history of asthma as it can be a show stopper for IAME. Good luck.
  11. Thankfully no history of asthma whatsoever. IAME ?
  12. Ninja_Stoker

IAME=Initial Aviation Medical Examination. It's an RAF acronym.

Good news on the asthma front. As Swiss Toni would say, It's a bit like making love to a beautiful woman, Dave. Takes a long time to get there, it's over in a flash, but it's worth the wait.
  13. Ha ha! Thanks for your help and support Ninja :)