Start basic in 7 days!

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by basicstarter, Jan 6, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey everyone,
    I start basic training in seven days! Cannot wait to get started, just want to crack on!

All the nerves are starting to kick in! Which are giving me doubts... Such as the dreaded submariner medical..

I have used the search function,on this but i want to know what happens if something props up?

I would be highly devastated, and upset if something does... so what will happen if i fail something that is required for submarine service, but not for general service?
    Medical discharge? Or transferred to surface fleet? (I pray its the latter?!)
    Sorry for this mundane question, but all the nerves are kicking in and i would like some sort of reassurance!
    I just don't want to fall at the last hurdle!

Thank you,

Basics

2. Good luck with it all.

3. Cheers mate, just getting nervous!

Basics

4. The "dreaded" submariner medical is nothing to worry about. If you fail (unlikely) your options will be explained at the time. Don't ask what they will be as no-one will know as you haven't failed anything as yet.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Cheers Wrecker...... Just getting apprehensive over the hearing and ear related stuff, i passed it 18 months ago, so should be alright! Only a week to find out!
    Hopefully their will be more options if it came to that!

Basics

6. These days it's quite an accomplishment just to get to Raleigh in the first place. Not everyone does - so the Navy does not have any doubts about you. Think about that!

There are many tests and evaluations that you'll have to pass over the next few weeks, some of which you'll know about and some of which you won't. So worrying about just one of them will not help. The Navy just wants to find out more about you and they'll do that in a thousand different ways during your training. Just focus on doing your best in everything they ask and maintain your enthusiasm.

Even before you get to Raleigh they will have made quite an investment in you and they will do everything they can to make sure their investment isn't wasted. So it's very unlikely they would discharge you for a tiny problem like failing a submariner medical or indeed any of the other tests, especially if you excel in other areas.

Go to Raleigh and give it everything you've got. Make us all proud!

Best of luck.

7. You ain't going to fail wings, only losers loose, and losers whinge and blame everyone else.
    Make your decisions based on what you are told, and if you listen you are told everything you need to know.
    Interpret it with common sense and then give 100% of your best.
    No try no achieve.
    Best of luck and come back and tell us when you pass part one.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Don't sweat it mate, us oldies passed and look at us now.

Piss taking gits who get a nice lil old pensions courtesy of the pusser.

Training is just that. It isn't the navy proper. Head down, nose clean, do as you told, don't be a smart arse and you'll piss it.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  9. How do you know all this?

You tell us you joined some 37 years ago and that you are now outside. From where do you get this insight about the modern Navy?

It's all very well trying to be helpful, but fatherly (or grandfatherly) whimsy is wasting everyone's time really isn't it?

If you are a civilian director of training or some other Flagshit cop-out role please accept my apologies.

Otherwise don't as they're not offered.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  10. I've done the maths. He could have joined at 16, done thirty five years been outside for two and **** your theory up Guzz.
    Devils advocates don't get paid by the way, I do it for the sex.

11. Temptress.

12. Actually I'm just a fuckin slut.

13. That'll do.

14. Don't worry the dreaded submariner medical isn't that bad, there's bigger things to worry about at Raleigh than that, enjoy it because it flys by.

15. see you down there fella!

16. And you have the audacity to call me a slut, well that takes the biscuit

harrumphs and rustles the "Slapper News" roughly

17. Get a grip you've made a lot of money at it.